You have $20.00 dollars in your pocket, which do you buy?

JoeinAR

which do you buy  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets cd
    • Attack of the Clones dvd

This is the senerio, you have $20 in your pocket on Nov. 12

your at your local retail store.

You see the new John Williams, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets cd for $12.99

next to it is the new Attack of the Clones dvd for $17.99

for those outside the US, pretend it is the equivalent in Euros, or whatever your exchange form is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy the AOTC DVD. I woudl try to get the cd later on, but I'm really looking forward for the DVD (as I am for COS, but I dunno, it's starwars).

Romao, who will be in that situation this month, because he is low on money.

Right now, dollars and euros are about the same. So if i only had 20 euros in my pocket -- God forbid -- next week, I would go for the Potter cd.

because you can't buy the AOTC DVD with only 20 euros :pukeface: (27 € here).

And I assume the COS CD will cost about 15-18€...

I would (and will first) buy the DVD!

1-I don't buy DVD movies for now,I rent them because most likely I won't want to see them more than once.Usually I see films I really like a few times in the best theaters untill I get bored.

2-All SW films will undergo inevitable changes untill it's final releases in 2006 or whatever.Further changes to the special editions now available for the original trilogy don't matter anymore because the digital additions to them are already obsolete in that area of technology.

A compete season of 23+ episodes of The Simpsons for 34 bucks that I get.

K.M.Who thinks The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were the pinnacle of optical effects.

K.M.

I don't know???????

The reason being is that I have a version of the CD but I want the real one. I want the DVD too even though I complain about it, just for John's music. And then on top of that there's also the DVD of FOTR, the extended one...... Luckily I won't have to make that choice, I can get all three

I will be in Best Buy next Tuesday morning. I will have my choice.

I will choose the cd of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

I will get Attack of the Clones later. As I said earlier, I have other dvd's of films that are more important to me this film. Films like Close Encounters and Minority Report, and cd's like Star Trek Nemesis, and Catch Me if You Can.

i thought the second half was more interesting than the first. of course, there was the chase scene in coruscant, but outside that, the first half was bogged down with George's great dialogue. the second half is when it picked up and in a sense made up for the slump, in my opinion. i thought the shmi subplot was handled much better than the anakin/padme subplot, and the final half hour i thought was spectacular.

Ted, who will be spending a lot of money on November 12th.

Well, Ted, we obviously see films from a different viewpoint. When I saw ATOC in the cinema, I was initially drawn into the Star Wars world again, it was great. But it started to drag about an hour in, I could see it descending into a sfx finale (as so many films do), endless action scenes that I personally find quite boring. I don't go to the cinema to see effects and explosions and battles. I hope for a good script, from beginning to end. As a recent example, Road to Perdition sort of got there, but not quite.

I think Saving Private Ryan is a great example of how a film can end with a fantastic action piece, yet not abandon the character development. That, to me, is how films are supposed to be constructed.

Well, Ted, we obviously see films from a different viewpoint. When I saw ATOC in the cinema, I was initially drawn into the Star Wars world again, it was great. But it started to drag about an hour in, I could see it descending into a sfx finale (as so many films do), endless action scenes that I personally find quite boring. I don't go to the cinema to see effects and explosions and battles. I hope for a good script, from beginning to end. As a recent example, Road to Perdition sort of got there, but not quite.

I think Saving Private Ryan is a great example of how a film can end with a fantastic action piece, yet not abandon the character development. That, to me, is how films are supposed to be constructed.

i understand what you mean, AI. i do think that the plot of the first half of AOTC was interesting, you know, the whole mystery perspective. but i didn't really go for the cutting back and forth between ObiWan and Anakin. i thought a lot of it was rushed and could have been trimmed down, but i understand where you're coming from completely. and from what you've said about Road to Perdition, we agree about that. :pukeface: it was a very engrossing film, but i agree with what you said in that it didn't quite get there. and we are in total agreement about Saving Private Ryan.

Ted

Joe this is a silly question. Like Ocelot, I already have Chamber of Secrets on CD yet I'll be buying the official CD first thing Tuesday morning.

Neil

I will be in Best Buy next Tuesday morning.  I will have my choice.

I have $20 in my pocket, so I buy the AotC DVD and have $2.01 left.

Since I know that Joe will be in Best Buy next Tuesday morning, I wait for him to come out, knock him out and take his Harry Potter CD and his wallet. I now have have $9.02 left and my problem is solved!

I've always loved these math problems... LOL

, and cd's like Star Trek Nemesis, and Catch Me if You Can.

Both are on my list,I rarely get Goldsmith c.d.'s of late,but I still get his Trek scores.

As much as I would enjoy the AOTC DVD I'm going to get Harry Potter. Never skip out on a JW score that's my motto. :pukeface:

Justin -Who's brother will probably get the AOTC DVD. Of course then there is the LOTR Expanded and Spider-man......Arrrrrggghhhh so much to buy so little cash!!!

There is no contest for me. I would/will get Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. That is so much more important to me than the AOTC DVD.

Ray Barnsbury-who will ask for the DVD for Christmas.

I would definitely go for the Potter cd mainly because i don't really watch DVD's, and i'd probably get more enjoyment out of listening to the potter cd than watching the aotc dvd.

-Jason, posting for the first time in a little over two months

I would definitely go for the Potter cd mainly because i don't really watch DVD's, and i'd probably get more enjoyment out of listening to the potter cd than watching the aotc dvd.

-Jason, posting for the first time in a little over two months

good to see you back. i've been wondering where you were. at any rate, welcome back!

Ted

good to see you back. i've been wondering where you were. at any rate, welcome back!

Ted

I see you've been using "visual mode". ;)

Neil - who doesn't quite get "visual mode"

SPR had a misfit plot. It was like typical Spielberg, ET or something grafted onto a war film. War is supposed to be more serious. And I will add, plot is more important than character development. You don't need character developement to make a good movie.

Anyway, I will get the CD, because I will be able to get lunch with the rest of the money. ;) Or another cheap CD.

I will be in Best Buy next Tuesday morning.  I will have my choice.

I have $20 in my pocket, so I buy the AotC DVD and have $2.01 left.

Since I know that Joe will be in Best Buy next Tuesday morning, I wait for him to come out, knock him out and take his Harry Potter CD and his wallet. I now have have $9.02 left and my problem is solved!

I've always loved these math problems... LOL

;);) 8O 8O 8O

I think I will go to Target, Circuit City, or Wal Mart.

Joe, who is afraid, very afraid LOL

And the Treasure Planet cd also comes out at the same time more or less ;)

I really don't know where I'll get the money.

DVD - 35 euro

COS - 17 EURO

Treasure Planet - 17 EURO

That's freakin' 69 EURO!!!!

Boy, things sure are expensive in Portugal (and we're one the countries in Europe with the lowest wages).

Too many choices. As of right now, my first priority is to get that 4 disc FOTR set. But after that, I would probably get the AOTC soundtrack and then COS after the movie comes out.

After the buzz from those who listened to the COS download (an apparent wonder I wasn't able to share), I'd definitely grab up the new CD. Go with what hasn't yet been experienced.

SPR had a misfit plot. It was like typical Spielberg, ET or something grafted onto a war film. War is supposed to be more serious. And I will add, plot is more important than character development. You don't need character developement to make a good movie.

More serious than what? That lighthearted, 25-minute musical number on Omaha Beach? Or the gentle, poingant battle at the end? :?

I think "misfit" is misstating it. It was a workable plot, meant primarily as a means to give an accurate depiction of the conditions during the Second World War - by far the more important goal. But there was nothing "misfitting" about it. It fit fine. ;)

Oh, and....nice to see you again, Jason. ;)

- Uni

I agree, although I do think action movies have their place for sheer, mindless fun. But they don't measure up to those films that are so well written you want to hug yourself for the joy of their cleverness. I could probably come up with a longer list, but a few examples that leap instantly to mind are Shakespeare in Love, Being There, Good Will Hunting, any number of films either written by Neil Simon or starring Albert Brooks....I'll have to give it some more thought, see what I come up with. (I might have included The Game as well, but the last walk down that path doesn't recommend it again.... :roll: )

Every once in a while, you do get an action film that does indeed have well-constructed characters playing through its stunning action sequences (though the combination is rare enough). I know I could take some heat for this, but....the first example of that sort that comes to mind is The Matrix.

*bracing for the oncoming storm....*

- Uni

More serious than what? That lighthearted, 25-minute musical number on Omaha Beach?  Or the gentle, poingant battle at the end? :?

The Omaha beach seen was brilliant. The end battle was unrealistic. This is supposed to be an elite SS unit? They fought like the french. ;)

I think "misfit" is misstating it.  It was a workable plot, meant primarily as a means to give an accurate depiction of the conditions during the Second World War - by far the more important goal.  But there was nothing "misfitting" about it.  It fit fine.  ;)

Well, in ways in achieved that, it showed the experience of war better than most films. But this whole business of finding Ryan.... the basic idea of the plot is as misfitting for a war film as you can get, it should have been more gritty and not so fantasy like. I really dislike the way Spielberg has to use such... heroic and hollywoodish plots for serious things, he did it in Schindler's List too.

I voted for the CD for two reasons: One, I'm in full-blown Potter-mania right now, and two, the entertainment value of the soundtrack is higher because I can enjoy the CD just about anytime, anywhere. I don't always have enough spare time to sit down and watch a DVD.

Luckily, though, it's not a choice I'll have to make.

And the Treasure Planet cd also comes out at the same time more or less :(  

I really don't know where I'll get the money.

DVD - 35 euro

COS - 17 EURO

Treasure Planet - 17 EURO

That's freakin' 69 EURO!!!!

Boy, things sure are expensive in Portugal (and we're one the countries in Europe with the lowest wages).

You think that's bad? I got you beat! Here are the estimated prices for Mexico:

DVD - $35-$56 US Dollars

COS - $22-$24 US Dollars (of course, I might luck out and find it for $18)

Treasure Planet - $22-$24 US Dollars

:cry:

Happily, though, I'll be going to Arizona next week, so I'll buy as many of the ones mentioned before there! ;)

I agree, although I do think action movies have their place for sheer, mindless fun.  But they don't measure up to those films that are so well written you want to hug yourself for the joy of their cleverness.  I could probably come up with a longer list, but a few examples that leap instantly to mind are ...  Good Will Hunting

- Uni

Personally I didn't want to hug myself for the cleverness, I wanted to wash my mouth out from the senseless and all too casual profanity. Not to mention the sheer embarassment of having subjected my mother to over 50 f-bombs and hydrogen bomb equivelant of the C-word. Yes those are clever words, because thats how people in Boston talk. F-ing A.

Thats one F-ing film that f-ing deserved to win its f-ing award, because it f-ing ruled. Now isn't that f-ing clever.

Joe, who also awaits the storm.

Well since I've already seen AOTC several times I would get Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets sine I have yet to listen to it. But like a few others have stated I won't have that problem cause I will have more than $20.00 to spend and I'll be getting many things on the 12th, especially with Varese announcing their new club releases Monday the 11th. ;)

i don't particularly care for movies that hug themselves for their own cleverness. i thought Good Will Hunting was a very good movie, same goes for Shakespeare in Love and Being There, however i don't consider two out of three to be great movies, simply because in my opinion they think too highly of themselves.

a few examples of movies with amazing screenplays, acting and directing are All The President's Men, Mean Streats, Pulp Fiction, and The Parallax View. they are movies that i can turn on and watch just to watch amazing conversations and dialogue exhanges. and they aren't as self-important as say, Good Will Hunting, which i think tries a little bit too hard sometimes.

Ted

I agree, although I do think action movies have their place for sheer, mindless fun.  But they don't measure up to those films that are so well written you want to hug yourself for the joy of their cleverness.  I could probably come up with a longer list, but a few examples that leap instantly to mind are ...  Good Will Hunting

- Uni

Personally I didn't want to hug myself for the cleverness, I wanted to wash my mouth out from the senseless and all too casual profanity. Not to mention the sheer embarassment of having subjected my mother to over 50 f-bombs and hydrogen bomb equivelant of the C-word. Yes those are clever words, because thats how people in Boston talk. F-ing A.

Thats one F-ing film that f-ing deserved to win its f-ing award, because it f-ing ruled. Now isn't that f-ing clever.

Joe, who also awaits the storm.

Joe, you're living in the past still. :P