Ray Barnsbury

Williams' Christmas Carols  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Somewhere in My Memory
    • Star of Bethlehem
    • Christmas Star
    • Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas

It vaguely seems like we've done this before, but I couldn't find a thread or poll about it from the last several years, so here we go. Which of Williams' original songs from the Home Alone scores is your favorite? The warm, sentimental "Somewhere in My Memory," the reverent, mysterious "Star of Bethlehem," the melancholy "Christmas Star," or the jubilant "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas"? I think all are wonderful, both in song and orchestral form. My favorite used to be "Somewhere in My Memory," but over the past couple years I've begun to develop a greater appreciation for "Star of Bethlehem"; it has a very distinct sound, and is woven masterfully through both scores, while functioning just as well as a straightforward carol (this thread has a nice discussion of it). I also think "Christmas Star" is pretty unique, using interesting chords and harmonies that I don't seem to hear often. So, what are everyone's favorites?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It vaguely seems like we've done this before, but I couldn't find a thread or poll about it from the last several years, so here we go. Which of Williams' original songs from the Home Alone scores is your favorite? The warm, sentimental "Somewhere in My Memory," the reverent, mysterious "Star of Bethlehem," the melancholy "Christmas Star," or the jubilant "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas"? I think all are wonderful, both in song and orchestral form. My favorite used to be "Somewhere in My Memory," but over the past couple years I've begun to develop a greater appreciation for "Star of Bethlehem"; it has a very distinct sound, and is woven masterfully through both scores, while functioning just as well as a straightforward carol (this thread has a nice discussion of it). I also think "Christmas Star" is pretty unique, using interesting chords and harmonies that I don't seem to hear often. So, what are everyone's favorites?

Yeah that is my fave of Williams. He's using harmonic extensions like major 9ths which sounds full and beautiful. Christmas Star is far nicer than his other xmas fare IMO.

They're all great but the main theme takes the edge for me. My favorite rendition of any of those themes is the, naturally, unreleased cue when Kevin says goodnight from the first movie ("Somewhere in my Memory").

Yeah that is my fave of Williams. He's using harmonic extensions like major 9ths which sounds full and beautiful. Christmas Star is far nicer than his other xmas fare IMO.

Suave, jazzy color tones for New York City. Very appropriate, though it's not my favorite carol.

All the carols are great! Its very difficult to choice one of them, but for me is "Somewhere in my Memory".

I'd the pleasure to sing it with a chorus two or three times and one duet with my mother. I wrote myself a version in Portuguese. :)

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas

Even though some of the lyrics are cheesy its a very fun piece of music. I like Somewhere in my Memory a lot too. I never cared for either of the "Stars" songs.

Not that it would be in contention, but don't forget that Williams wrote a Christmas song for the first Potter film.

I also think "Christmas Star" is pretty unique, using interesting chords and harmonies that I don't seem to hear often.

You can hear its precursor four years earlier in The Accidental Tourist.

Star of Betlehem is my favourite of the four carols. Both the orchestral and the choral versions. The later re-arrangement for the adult choir which is on the Home Alone 2 album is even more powerful than the children's choir version. There Williams wrote a stronger orchestral backing for the choir closer to his purely orchestral version from the first film which really makes the music soar majestically. One particular detail I love is the surprising dissonance of the crescendo which then gently glides into the silence ending the piece with a hopeful note.

Star of Betlehem is my favourite of the four carols. Both the orchestral and the choral versions. The later re-arrangement for the adult choir which is on the Home Alone 2 album is even more powerful than the children's choir version.

I disagree. I don't like the adult choir used in HA2 as much as the children's choir, I'm glad JW didn't use it for "Christmas Star."

Which of Williams' original songs from the Home Alone scores is your favorite? The warm, sentimental "Somewhere in My Memory," the reverent, mysterious "Star of Bethlehem," the melancholy "Christmas Star," or the jubilant "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas"?

Yeah, that's what so great about these four Christmas songs. They all express a different mood or emotion.

My favorite is Star of Bethlehem, followed by Somewhere in My Memory.

Star of Bethlehem. Hands down. Having said that I prefer Boston Pops rendition to Home Alone 2 a little bit too overblown performance. It's a Christmas carroll, not a Call of the Chamions, for God's sake.

Karol

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas is my favorite.

Funny you mentioned these because I just went to a concert last night that featured all 4 of them.

Star of Betlehem is my favourite of the four carols. Both the orchestral and the choral versions. The later re-arrangement for the adult choir which is on the Home Alone 2 album is even more powerful than the children's choir version. There Williams wrote a stronger orchestral backing for the choir closer to his purely orchestral version from the first film which really makes the music soar majestically. One particular detail I love is the surprising dissonance of the crescendo which then gently glides into the silence ending the piece with a hopeful note.

Great post, Mikko, my sentiments exactly

I voted for Somewhere In My Memory. I love Williams' version of Carol Of The Bells probably more than any of these.

Where what how?

Ack!

"Star of Bethlehem". I'd go as far as to say that it's the best song Williams has ever written (or helped to write).

But they're all good, especially "Merry Christmas".

Setting the Trap is purely instrumental, so I thought perhaps there's a Williams adaptation of the actual song I'm not aware of.

On the Home Alone OST we get JW's arranged version of "Carol of the Bells". Actually, come to think about it, I don't know if he arranged it or not.

Savatage's take on "Carol of the Bells" ("Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24"), with "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" interpolated, has become a radio staple during the holiday season despite its being completely instrumental.

Setting the Trap is purely instrumental, so I thought perhaps there's a Williams adaptation of the actual song I'm not aware of.

On the Home Alone OST we get JW's arranged version of "Carol of the Bells". Actually, come to think about it, I don't know if he arranged it or not.

I think he arranged O Holy Night and Carol of the Bells as well as his own songs.

Or maybe John Neufeld did.

They play the end credits piece from Home Alone at my job. Only at Christmas time though. It started today and then was interrupted by some stupid advertisement. I was pissed. During no other time of year can I hear anything score-related at work. They must now be punished.

I think he arranged O Holy Night and Carol of the Bells as well as his own songs.

Or maybe John Neufeld did.

It doesn't say so in the CD inlay, and the credits look like "stock recordings". I don't recall if the version of Carol of the Bells we performed was identical.

Funny you mentioned these because I just went to a concert last night that featured all 4 of them.

It was the Austin Wind Symphony again, wasn't it? I swear, every concert of theirs I hear about makes me more and more sick about the fact that I live thousands of miles away and will probably never get the chance to see or play with them! But still, glad to hear you Texans are enjoying them :blink:

It was the Austin Wind Symphony again, wasn't it? I swear, every concert of theirs I hear about makes me more and more sick about the fact that I live thousands of miles away and will probably never get the chance to see or play with them! But still, glad to hear you Texans are enjoying them :blink:

Oh, yes, how we Texans pity you, Mr. I Have Met John Williams 10 Million Times In Part Because He Has Actually Visited My State Before.

Agreed, the climax is one of his best.

I like all of his carols very much, all four listed are completely different from one another, and their diversity lends to their listenability as well, since there isn't any repetition or redundancy. That being said, Star of Bethlehem is my favorite, followed very closely by Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas which is one of the catchiest pieces of music I've ever heard. I get this thing stuck in my head at the most inopportune times, and it's awesome. Star of Bethlehem is amazing and powerful, basically knocking you on your unworthy ass.

It was the Austin Wind Symphony again, wasn't it? I swear, every concert of theirs I hear about makes me more and more sick about the fact that I live thousands of miles away and will probably never get the chance to see or play with them! But still, glad to hear you Texans are enjoying them ;)

Yes it was. ;)

I voted "Star of Bethlehem". This is quite simply an awesome piece of music. It has so much power. I saw Home Alone on the big screen yesterday, and it was great hearing this music on the screen.