New Prometheus releases

fommes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in the first one, but I'm getting fed up with the cost of these Goldsmith releases. I've recently got Boys from Brazil, and I love that score, but they might just as well put it on one disc and lower the cost. I'm being naive here though.

The other Robin & Marian cover (Silva re-recording) has a similar pose although they aren't smiling as much.

Pretty much every publicity photo or poster I've seen has them together.

Anyone want a good deal on the original Cassandra Crossing & Golden Voyage of Sinbad? ;)

Where does The Golden Voyage of Sinbad rank for a Rozsa fan who's only got El Cid, Ben-Hur, and the title track to King of Kings? I can't remember a week in recent memory when I didn't buy a new soundtrack. I'm not familiar with any of these movies or scores.

So how do these line up with F.A.T's original posting about these releases, and what does this tell us about the other 2 releases they have in the pipeline?

Well, This much I can say

They have FIVE NEW RELEASES in the pipeline.

THREE OF THEM are 2CD SETS

One of these is considered on of the greatest film scores written by most film music historians.

The two single CD releases are by the same composer..

One has never been avaiable before and the other has only been represented on CD as a re-recording (a rather good one IMHO).

One 2CD Set is in production and the others are just waiting for final artwork approvals.

With luck at least THREE of these titles will be out this year.

Beyond that, I can't say more at this time.

Ford A. Thaxton

Yea seriously, I was excited to order if I liked the samples, but no samples no buy (especially since I've never seen any of these movies)

So how do these line up with F.A.T's original posting about these releases, and what does this tell us about the other 2 releases they have in the pipeline?

The score that is considered one of the greatest has yet to be released and one more score is coming from John Barry.

But they got 3 out as promised, and three very good ones at that.

By the way what's the point of having the complete score for The Cassandra Crossing in mono sound but the original album in stereo? ;)

That doesn't really make much sense...speaking of The Cassandra Crossing, I'm downloading the Main Title of the original OST right now and gonna check it out to see if I like it.

'Cassandra Crossing' is no score that will please the occasional Goldsmith buyer.

It's very tense and has one of those great 70s minor chord 'love themes'...which aren't in the highest regard, nowadays.

By the way what's the point of having the complete score for The Cassandra Crossing in mono sound but the original album in stereo? blink.gif

That doesn't really make much sense...speaking of The Cassandra Crossing, I'm downloading the Main Title of the original OST right now and gonna check it out to see if I like it.

Because there is more music from the actual film score than what was released on the LP and the LP may have been a re-recording as was the habit back then. Plus that may have been the only source available for the complete score.

The LP for the Golden Voyage Of Sinbad was a re-recording as well if I'm not mistaken.

Where does The Golden Voyage of Sinbad rank for a Rozsa fan who's only got El Cid, Ben-Hur, and the title track to King of Kings? I can't remember a week in recent memory when I didn't buy a new soundtrack. I'm not familiar with any of these movies or scores.

Well it has a rather nice theme by Rozsa, which is no suprise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBDsK6WkRGQ...feature=related

I wouldn't rank the score up there with the three you mentioned but it's a solid effort.

Oh, I couldn't resist to buy the Golden Voyage of Sinbad (always wanted that, and it even is the cheapest of the bunch). But it is interesting that they chose to fully release that score, when the older (quite lengthy) score album is still readily available.

Oh, now I see why it was cheaper: no limited edition...

So, does Prometheus Records actually have their own website or is everything sent out via 3rd party websites?

No they don't sell from their actual website, you can order thru Screen Archives.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is actually pretty interesting.

IF the sound quality is good, that is.

I would like a re-recording for that one;

the quality of the version I've heard was crappy.

Unless the sound quality on this one is good enough.

'Cassandra Crossing' is no score that will please the occasional Goldsmith buyer.

It's very tense and has one of those great 70s minor chord 'love themes'...which aren't in the highest regard, nowadays.

I copied it from the library (the old c.d.).I listened to it once. that is exactly the kind of goldsmith score that is for collectors only

It seems like we get a new Goldsmith every month (not that I'm complaining in any way). How many unreleased scores does JG have left?

I'm still waiting for a release of Dusty, a score for an Australian film he did in 1983.

Yes, if you want to play it safe like KM and just listen to stuff like HP & SW then by all means skip Cassandra Crossing.

On the other hand if you want music that will put hair on your chest you'll give Cassandra a spin.

The Goldsmith's score looks good to me as it has both mono original soundtrack and re-record as well. It's not limited (is it?) so I can wait. (Boys from Brazil was limited, so I bought it ASAP)

Robin and Marian......since it's mono and there was a almost the same re-record (Only a few mins of music missing), I wonder if it worth to buy.

The Sinbad......Yeah!! I planed to buy the re-record from Moviemusic.com a month later, but it seems that I could change my plan and buy the new set now.

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up The Cassandra Crossing but the fact that the complete score is in mono is a bit disappointing. That will really distract from the listening experience.

I know SoundForge can do this, and it's likely that Audacity can as well, but it's possible to turn a mono sound into a stereo sound. I seem to remember two ways to do it, either by just copying the single channel to make the right and left the same, or it does some kind of complicated guesswork to split the channel into two and give each side half the sound. It's not a true stereo experience by any stretch, I mean it's not going to give you David Bowie singing harmony with himself in each ear, but it's something.

I know SoundForge can do this, and it's likely that Audacity can as well, but it's possible to turn a mono sound into a stereo sound. I seem to remember two ways to do it, either by just copying the single channel to make the right and left the same

You can do that... or you can just leave it to your CD player. Because that's exactly what happens when you play a mono CD.

You should be ashamed for even posting such a comment. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the music of Goldsmith, Barry or Rosza shouldn't even be here!!!

Ordered Rosza's "Sinbad" and Jerry's "Cassandra Crossing". Movie was terrible but the score is memorable.

You should be ashamed for even posting such a comment. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the music of Goldsmith, Barry or Rosza shouldn't even be here!!!

Ordered Rosza's "Sinbad" and Jerry's "Cassandra Crossing". Movie was terrible but the score is memorable.

Uhhh excuse me but you know I love Goldsmith's music. Grant I don't like everything Goldsmith writes but if I have never seen a film or heard a score for a film I'm not gonna buy it on some whim.

The Sinbad......Yeah!! I planed to buy the re-record from Moviemusic.com a month later, but it seems that I could change my plan and buy the new set now.
A re-recording of The Golden Voyage of Sinbad?

What's all that about?

Any more news about that?

Whoa...calm down.

He's talking about the original Prometheus release of Golden Voyage, which was a re-recording done by Rozsa at the time of the film's release.

A re-recording of The Golden Voyage of Sinbad?

What's all that about?

Any more news about that?

The original Album. I thought it was a re-record, because it is stereo.

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/goldenvoyageofsinbad

It's seems it's still available even I can't find it in SAE, therefore I presume that it was OOP and have to order soon. Yet the new set contain this original Album as well. So it is not necessary to buy the Original Album now.

Anyway, there are many interesting things in MovieMusic.com. I have just ordered the Lonesome Dove Expanded, which I thought it was OOP for long.

Grant I don't like everything Goldsmith writes but if I have never seen a film or heard a score for a film I'm not gonna buy it on some whim.

Isn't that the whole idea? If John Williams wrote another concerto or film score which then became released on CD and you hadn't heard it in the concert hall or movie theater, won't you go out and buy it anyway? Same principle!

• 5 months later...

Prometheus will finally announce the last two discs, available for order on June 1st at SAE.

They should be a score by single disc score by John Barry and a 2 disc set of a score, considered by film historians to be one of the greatest composed.

a 2 disc set of a score, considered by film historians to be one of the greatest composed.

Film music historians, actually -- although if Herrmann is the composer there'd be much common ground.