The B section of Call of the Crystal

Pelzter

Ever since I heard the Crystal Skull theme, I've been fascinated with the solumn and gloomy B-section. Its tone and minor key harmonic progressions somehow seem to tell me something of what happened at Akator in the large time gab between the aliens teaching the tribe all these advanced technologies, and when the skull was taken by Orellana; a period of several thousand years. The music seems to suggest an almost elegiac somberness, of something going wrong or happening in that time. Maybe something happened to the aliens, killing them off?

I don't know, I'm just relaying what that particular piece of score seems to tell me.

Thoughts on this?

Pelzter

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oboe line.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you bring up some excellent observations, Pelzter. As I visualize that along with my memory of the B theme, it's quite amazing.

Ever since I heard the Crystal Skull theme, I've been fascinated with the solumn and gloomy B-section. Its tone and minor key harmonic progressions somehow seem to tell me something of what happened at Akator in the large time gab between the aliens teaching the tribe all these advanced technologies, and when the skull was taken by Orellana; a period of several thousand years. The music seems to suggest an almost elegiac somberness, of something going wrong or happening in that time. Maybe something happened to the aliens, killing them off?

I don't know, I'm just relaying what that particular piece of score seems to tell me.

Thoughts on this?

Pelzter

Unfortunately it seems that perhaps Williams saw more potential than what was revealed on screen in regards to the Skulls.

The B section of the Skull theme is indeed wonderful. It evokes the feeling of mystery, distant past, wonder (even if a bit alien wonder and not your typical bright choir oohing and aahing to something miraculous) and sadness. I have always likened it to "the legend of Akator" kind of music very much like the Sankara Stones motif from ToD which also relates as much to the Stones as it does to their legend.

Well, I like this track too, but it's like "Auschwitz-Birkenau" from Schindler's List.

Whenever I listen to it, I do it knowing something horrible is gonna happen. And you never listen to it because you enjoy or like it. You listen to it because it's human nature to be drawn to something indescribably horrible...

But yeah, the oboe line is nice. A respite from the terror.

Thoughts on this?

Pelzter

Unfortunately it seems that perhaps Williams saw more potential than what was revealed on screen in regards to the Skulls.

Call me over-analysing smart ass or whatever you want.

But when the nostalgics make statements like that i just cant keep my mouth shut.

What you said can be applied to the superman march, whose B-theme (or fanfare or whatever it is) is used like twice in the score (not counting Main and end title sequences. It is really a good theme, and i think its the part that people recognize superman with. But it was seldom used in the movie.

So yes it seems Williams saw more potential in Superman the Movie what was revealed on screen...

I'm sorry...

What?

Here we go again...

Manuel just spoke nonsense bullpoo again.

Superman march concert version: 0:40-0:56

I can only recal its ussage in the actual film score in Helicopter rescue. Yet it is what people hum if they are asked to hum the Superman theme.

Just saying that the same criticisms you can use for modern films and scores can be used in the old ones.

But I don't get it Manuel.

It's not like anyone has attributed some mystical storytelling power to that piece of music, like is the case here. I don't see the similarity.

Then again, maybe Williams did write that B-section of Call of the Crystal with that backstory in mind. Who knows? But as Mark says, that aspect is not evident anywhere onscreen, only in the music, making such a claim more conjecture than something based on evidence found within the picture.

But I don't get it Manuel.

It's not like anyone has attributed some mystical storytelling power to that piece of music, like is the case here. I don't see the similarity.

Then again, maybe Williams did write that B-section of Call of the Crystal with that backstory in mind. Who knows? But as Mark says, that aspect is not evident anywhere onscreen, only in the music, making such a claim more conjecture than something based on evidence found within the picture.

you make sense...

I suppose I just saw it as Mark getting the opportunity to bash KOTCS again. Anyway, I dont think Mark is considering Williams had Peltzer backstory in mind (neither do I), just that Williams saw more in the Skulls that what he feels the movie should have shown.

Thoughts on this?

Pelzter

But when the nostalgics make statements like that i just cant keep my mouth shut.

What you said can be applied to the superman march, whose B-theme (or fanfare or whatever it is) is used like twice in the score (not counting Main and end title sequences. It is really a good theme, and i think its the part that people recognize superman with. But it was seldom used in the movie.

So yes it seems Williams saw more potential in Superman the Movie what was revealed on screen...

I'm late to this thread but what the hell are you talking about?

Maybe you should tone it down some since you are up to your typical I must defend everything Lucasfilm/Spielberg and Williams without truly understanding the point.

Again you don't understand the true meaning of nostalgia.

Thoughts on this?

Pelzter

I'm late to this thread but what the hell are you talking about?

Maybe you should keep your mouth shut since you are up to your typical I must defend everything Lucasfilm/Spielberg and Williams without truly understanding the point.

Again you don't understand the true meaning of nostalgia.

Your point is that KOTCS sucks, and no i will never kneel before that thought.

When i see the stubborn people like me shutting their mouths i'll also act in consequence.

The B section of the Skull theme is indeed wonderful. It evokes the feeling of mystery, distant past, wonder (even if a bit alien wonder and not your typical bright choir oohing and aahing to something miraculous) and sadness. I have always likened it to "the legend of Akator" kind of music very much like the Sankara Stones motif from ToD which also relates as much to the Stones as it does to their legend.

And there is a great progression through its 3 appearences on the score: somber woodwinds in Orellana's Cradle, oboe in Temple Ruins/The Throne Room and finally full strings in Secret Treasure/Spalko's Gift.

it's a bit like that Sith Legends theme (Palpatine's Big Pitch) in RotS ,conjuring some ancient mythical past.

Exactly... The Sith Legends motif is arguably the most interesting musical idea in Revenge of the Sith, and the same could be said for both main and secondary skull theme

I especially love when the theme is used at the door opening scene in the temple. It seems to exactly convey some of the otherwise cloudy backstory of Akator, the skulls and their fate. Like an elegy, but also with a sense of history and mystery.

it's a bit like that Sith Legends theme (Palpatine's Big Pitch) in RotS ,conjuring some ancient mythical past.

Exactly... The Sith Legends motif is arguably the most interesting musical idea in Revenge of the Sith

Wow, really? It sounds pretty generically spooky to me.

I mean the little passage in the middle of the cue with the humming choir. There's a moment of dark reverence there .He used the same idea at the end of "Palpatine's Seduction" (again the spooky choir bit) .In both instances it's when Palpatine talks about using dark side force powers to resurrect the dead.

Isn't the B-melody the ACTUAL 'luring' (i.e., calling) or the crystal? The opening part is just this evil, vacuous (Jaws' theme-like) pulsating presence of the crystal, then it tricks the beholder with its beauty and majesty in the waltzing middle section, then it builds up until it can't sustain this act any longer -- or rather, it's got you in its trap after all -- and it reverts back to its true identity... an evil, evil ostinato with a stagnantly chromatic, 'dead' melody, and by the end of the piece I suppose you're dead.

It's like the temptation of the delicious apple in the Garden of Eden, or some other false beauty that one is attracted to... it clouds your perception and lures you into something that is actually empty and ugly.

Ohwell, my interpretation.