Philippe Rombi

nicholas

I watched a DVD of "Under the Sand" ("Sous la Sable") last week and was very impressed by the score. It was by a composer I'd never come across before, Philippe Rombi. He seems to have scored quite a few films, mostly French, and he often works in collaboration with director Francois Ozon. Does anyone have any experience of his music? any recommendations?

John Williams scores are so few and far between these days I feel like its time I found another composer to bore people rigid about...

• 11 years later...

I'm listening to ANGEL right now as my first Philippe Rombi score. So far, it's gorgeous. Any other fans here of this score or its composer? Really looking forward to delving into more of his work after this.

Exhibit A:

I discovered him a few years ago and have love most of his scores that I've heard.  A few personal favorites are:

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis - The film is hysterical and the music fits it quite well.

La Nouvelle Guerre Des Boutons - This was the film that introduced me to this composer.  Great orchestral score with melodic themes.

I also have both of his Asterix scores and enjoy them.  A lot of themes, very cartoonesque but fun nonetheless.  There are a few that don't resonate with me but I always check out a new score when I hear his name attached.

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2020 at 9:41 PM, KK said:

His Angel is gorgeous. The last I heard from him was Dans La Maison, which was a cute, albeit repetitive, little drama score.

I was randomly listening to this score today. I think it is magnificent. The strident ostinato underlying the main theme has such a sense of drama and drive. The cue you linked is I think the best in score and quite superb. It is begging to be used in more trailers. Ozon (the director of Dans La Maison) himself used it in a trailer for his own film - Frantz and you can see how amazing it is.