JWFan's Men's Movie of the Day!  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Today, Marc watches... ?

• Braveheart (1995)
    • Die Hard (1988)
    • Heat (1995)
    • Planet Terror (2007)
    • Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

I was going to visit my girlfriend tonight, but word has reached me she and her sisters will be watching a chick flick until 10:30.

Baah!

Instead, I will stay at home and spend my time watching a good old Men's Movie. One with fights, guns, explosions and hair on its chest.

(then once it's finished it'll be 10:30 and hopefully it'll be safe to go see my lovely lady)

But first, I must pick the film to watch. Choose, Men of JWFan, and save me from the nightmare that is... Must Love Dogs. :P

Voting closes in half an hour.

- Marc

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Heat is the movie I'd enjoy most under the circumstance, though I don't dislike any of them. Planet Terror is the least of the bunch, but also the trashiest, which can be fun. Than again, Die Hard is also a good movie for a winter evening. Still, Heat is my choice for you.

Planet Terror is the least of the bunch, but also the trashiest, which can be fun.

Which is why it's on there.

I had almost put The Dark Knight on there, but I saw it yesterday and I have a sneaking suspicion it would beat these "oldies" with ease.

Why isn't True Grit on this list?

Because I don't own it on DVD (nor have I ever seen it, actually).

Heat is not the best, its the worst of this lot. Ok maybe Planet Terror is worse.

I say Die Hard, its a guys movie, and its a great Christmas movie at the same time.

It clearly has the best villian of all the movies on the list.

I was going to visit my girlfriend tonight, but word has reached me she and her sisters will be watching a chick flick until 10:30.

Baah!

I don't know...

Sitting through a chick flick with your lady friend might earn you big points. :cool:

No. It won't. The inclusion of sisters (or her friends) further solidifies this.

On the assumption that Marc has already seen the obvious movies in the list, I shall recommend the brilliantly inventive and corny Planet Terror, if he hasn't already seen it. It does what it says on the tin and it does it supremely well. The constantly homaging score alone is worth the price of admission.

It isn't in the list, but last night I watched the utterly brainless remake of Death Race, which was as hilarious as it was perfect macho action entertainment. No more, no less.

No. It won't. The inclusion of sisters (or her friends) further solidifies this.

On the assumption that Marc has already seen the obvious movies in the list, I shall recommend the brilliantly inventive and corny Planet Terror, if he hasn't already seen it. It does what it says on the tin and it does it supremely well. The constantly homaging score is alone is worth the price of admission.

It isn't in the list, but last night I watched the utterly brainless Death Race, which was as hilarious as it was perfect macho action entertainment. No more, no less.

GE, have you ever seen the original Death Race 2000 with David Carridine? I find it to be a great B movie.

Marc, do you ever vote in these polls yourself? I mean do you really want to leave it completely up to us. You should at least get a vote.

Marc, have you seen ALL of the movies in the poll? If the answer is yes then of course Die Hard is the only option, since its runtime is ideal, compared to say, the drawn out antics of the brilliant T2.

Marc, have you seen ALL of the movies in the poll? If the answer is yes then of course Die Hard is the only option, since its runtime is ideal, compared to say, the drawn out antics of the brilliant T2.

Die Hard = 131 minutes

Terminator 2: Judgment Day = 137 minutes (theatrical cut)

Neil

Die Hard = 131 minutes

Neil

What the hell you talking about? I'm not referring to figures, I'm referring to feeling. Typical bloody Vulcan logic! Especially when your pedantic figures actually confirm my statements.

Everyone knows Die Hard flies by, compared to the overly long indulgences of James Cameron's second best film.

Coincidentally, HEAT is the male equivalent of a chick flick. It's like Male Bonding For Dummies.

Glengarry Glen Ross is like that too.

Die Hard is a good choice, but really most of the options on the poll are.

Marc, do you ever vote in these polls yourself?

No, it's all up to you.

Marc, have you seen ALL of the movies in the poll?

Yes.

I only own the director's cut.

Doesn't this belong in Other Topics?

No.

Do you want to be moderator by any chance?

I'm not sure how it works in other regions, but in R1 the DVD release that supposedly only contained the extended cut also contained the theatrical cut as an easter egg (though this version accidentally left one extended cut scene in)

Doesn't this belong in Other Topics?

No.

Do you want to be moderator by any chance?

Nope!

Can I be one?

No.

I'm not sure how it works in other regions, but in R1 the DVD release that supposedly only contained the extended cut also contained the theatrical cut as an easter egg (though this version accidentally left one extended cut scene in)

I have the German R2. Don't think it's on there, but all the same, could you tell me where I could find the easter egg?

In R1, this version:

514IKdawDQL._SS500_.jpg

Contains the theatrical version by doing this:

Go to the main menu on disc one. Highlight sensory control and press your right arrow key five times. As you do this the future is not set will appear on your screen. Then you can watch the theatrical version of the film.

The Abyss is an excellent movie and fully deserved the cinematography Oscar for Mikael Salomon. Features Alan Silvestri's magnum opus. His only score I fully liked.

"Fight, fight, fight.....fffiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggghttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt"

You actually can't go wrong with any of these. They're all great. Depends on your mood Marc. If you want some overly extreme action and fun, watch Planet Terror. If you want to watch a more serious movie, go for Braveheart (even though I laugh my ass off at that one).

As good as T2 is, I think there are some feminist undertones in it.

So?

Well, probably the most obvious one being Hamilton's speech to the guy from Cyberdyne. Regardless, I think Die Hard is more of a Man's movie.

So?

Well, probably the most obvious one being Hamilton's speech to the guy from Cyberdyne. Regardless, I think Die Hard is more of a Man's movie.

He didn't ask how.

So?

Oh, you mean because I asked for a Men's Movie.

I don't think that matters. It still has plenty of guns, explosions and heavyhanded importantness that make it sound cool.

Also, one of the best villains of the nineties.