Hook

Jay

Your thoughts on HOOK the score and movie?  

218 members have voted

1. 1.

• LOVE the score, LOVE the movie
    • LOVE the score, the movie is decent
    • LOVE the score, HATE the movie
    • HATE the score, LOVE the movie
    • HATE the score, the movie is decent
    • HATE the score, HATE the movie
    • the score is decent, I LOVE the movie
    • the score and movie are both decent
    • the score is decent, I HATE the movie

I love this thread. I started it 8 days after this version of the forum launched and it gets bumped regularly. It must bet he poll on the entire board with the most votes in it.

Love the score (top 5 for me). I wouldn't exactly say I hate the film, that's pretty strong, especially when it's in caps. It's not decent either, but I picked that option since there wasn't a "Love the score/film sucked" option.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The score I listen to, in small doses, always with a liberal supply of insulin standing by.

I don't care if I never see the film again, for as long as I live.

Even Spielberg hates it, and he directed the bloody thing. That should tell you a lot.

No

The teaser trailer cue was recorded early, as was anything that would need to sung / lip synced on set.  All the scores cues were written to edited footage like any other movie

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Wasn't a lot of music written without the film finished?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

No

The teaser trailer cue was recorded early, as was anything that would need to sung / lip synced on set.  All the scores cues were written to edited footage like any other movie

I think Nemesis is referring to the fact that Williams began scoring the first few reels without having watched the entire film (because it was still being edited). I believe Hook and War of the Worlds are the only two cases (at least with Spielberg) in which Williams had to start scoring without having watched the whole film. 

The film was released in December 1991 and started shooting in February of that same year. So yeah, it was a short production period for such a big film. 

Wasn't that scene early in Pirate Town (heard at 1:23 in LLLD2T12 Presenting the Hook - Film Version) the only major deleted scene JW scored? And it wasn't even included with the deleted scenes on the Bluray (omitted along with many others it seems).

I wonder how this deleted scene fit into the following sequence. Presumably it involves the Low Below lyrics, as the theme JW wrote for it remains in the final score (above track at 3:30):

hqdefault.jpg

BmyI9vKCMAARsiT.jpg

BmsU-sDCYAA12Nu.jpg

Surely something was prerecorded with Bob Hoskins if they filmed a short musical number in the Presenting the Hook sequence? Hell, there's even a little pirate orchestra there (second photo, above).

@Jay Do you know if there were recording sessions before production started, for use on set? It seems some musical elements were still present by the time it reached production, even if they're missing in the final cut.

I'm guessing We Don't Wanna Grow Up and When You're Alone were prerecorded to help the children with performances.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

@Jay Do you know if there were recording sessions before production started, for use on set? It seems some musical elements were still present by the time it reached production, even if they're missing in the final cut

16 hours ago, Jay said:

The teaser trailer cue was recorded early, as was anything that would need to sung / lip synced on set.  

17 hours ago, Jay said:

No

Sorry, missed this post.

Well those images above appear to show a deleted musical act during the Presenting the Hook sequence. Is there no further information about what this entailed, just the musical numbers that made the final cut?

Dan Schweiger's liner notes in the 2012 LLL CD list the songs

1. We Don't Wanna Grow Up - Was filmed / Finished version of song appears in the theatrical cut / on the OST and LLL CD / Melody never used again
  2. Low Below - Was filmed (images posted a few posts up, lyrics found in shooting script sold on ebay) / Cut from final theatrical version / Unknown if finished version of song ever made / Melody incorporated into score (Presenting The Hook 1:22 + LLL Pirates! 0:31)
  3. Believe - Probably never filmed / Melody incorporated into score (From Mermaids To Lost Boys 1:57, Remembering Childhood 2:57, 3:21 and 4:14, Farewell Neverland 0:15, 1:23, 1:56)
  4. Pick Em Up - Was filmed / Finished version of song appears in the theatrical cut, but edited down / Full lyrics available here / Was not on the OST or LLL CD or any leak / Melody never used again
  5. Stick With Me - Probably never filmed / Melody incorporated into score (Presenting The Hook 1:54, Smee's Plan 0:07 and 1:11, The Ultimate War 0:31, 2:09, 4:23, 4:34, 5:42, and 7:02 + LLL Pirates! 0:07 and 0:26)
  6. Childhood - Probably never filmed / Lyrics published in 1992 / Fan-made recording here / Melody incorporated into score (Granny Wendy 0:55, The Arrival of Tink and The Flight To Neverland 5:07, From Mermaids To Lost Boys 3:57 and 4:05, The Never-Feast 0:47 and 0:57, Remembering Childhood 2:38, 5:10, 7:34, 8:37, 9:07, 9:59, 10:19, The Ultimate War 7:42, Farewell Neverland 0:00, 7:52, 8:54 + LLL The Nursery 0:25, The Watch 0:32, Hook Challenges Peter 0:12)
  7. When You're All Alone - Was filmed / Finished version of song appears in the theatrical cut / On the OST and LLL CD / Melody incorporated into score (The Never-Feast 3:53, Remembering Childhood 0:00 and 1:01, The Ultimate War 7:18, Farewell Neverland 7:24, 8:11 + LLL The Watch 0:00)

It is currently unknown if the other recurring themes in the score began life as song demos or not

1. The first theme heard in the teaser trailer (Prologue 0:06 and 1:03) heard in Hook-Napped (0:11 and 0:36 and 2:20), Hook Challenges Peter (3:15), and The Ultimate War: The Death of Rufio (2:13)
  2. The second theme heard in the teaser trailer (Prologue 0:32 and 1:12) heard in The Never-Feast (3:20) and Remembering Childhood (8:47 and 9:30 and 9:46 and 10:34) and The Ultimate War (0:05, 1:03, 1:28, 2:32, 2:54, 3:11, 3:22, 4:30, 5:07, 5:15, 5:32)
  3. The theme for Tinkerbell heard in We Don't Wanna Grow Up (0:09), The Arrival of Tink and The Flight to Neverland (1:53)
  4. The Home-Alone-esque theme for family heard in Granny Wendy (0:12) and Farewell Neverland (6:00, 6:10, 6:55, 8:25, 9:14, 9:47)
  5. The theme for Hook heard in Hook-Napped (0:54 and 1:13 and 1:49 and 2:30) and LLL tracks The Bedroom (0:20, 0:35), Pirates! (0:22, 0:40, 1:04,1:27, 2:02, 2:15), and Hook Challenges Peter (0:06)
  6. The theme for Peter's relationship with the Lost Boys heard in You Are The Pan (2:27 and 3:15)
  7. The theme for the Lost Boys heard in The Banquet (0:20 and 1:41 and 2:22) and The Never-Feast (0:05 and 0:34 and 1:16) and The Ultimate War (3:42, 6:20)
  8. The fanfare heard in The Ultimate War (1:18,1:48, 2:24)

Purely based on MV's comments back in 2012, I have to believe some of that material must have been recorded but withheld due to licensing issues.

Not holding my breath about ever hearing it though.

Well of course all of those songs would have had DEMOS recorded, that's not a question.  And the full unedited finished Pick Em Up exists somewhere.

The only question is if Low Below ever had a finished version made, or if Spielberg cut it early enough that JW never worked on that, and the version made for on-set playback is all that there is

It's unlikely Believe, Childhood, or Stick With Me would have anything that exists beyond the original demos / versions made for on-set playback that went unused, since we've never seen any evidence those songs were filmed at all

Thanks for clarifying @Jay, guess MV was referring to the demos then.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only question is if Low Below ever had a finished version made, or if Spielberg cut it early enough that JW never worked on that, and the demo is all that there is

Haven't watched the film in years but seems like a fragment of the sequence was kept in the final cut. Didn't realise the pirate musicians were shown in the final cut (but weirdly with no accompanying source music or SFX, despite playing their instruments):

I'd guess whatever scene existed there was cut early because I can't imagine it gelling with JW's final cue at all (unless there was a wildly different alternate before 5M5 Show Us Your Hook existed).

Out of interest, are those Hook/Hook/Show us the Hook chants from the scoring sessions? There's another Hook/Hook/Hook chant in the partial sessions leak but no idea if that was used in the film.

Yea that's the point; It was intended and shot for Low Below to be a big musical number at that point in the film, then Spielberg chickened out and removed it, but still had to show Smee bringing the hook through, etc in the final cut

Yea, the backing vocals of Pirates singing "hook, hook, show us the hook!" and "hook, hook, give us the hook!" and "hook, hook, hook, hook, hook!" that were not included in the OST, LLL, or boot version of the cue would have been recorded by Williams.  The session leak contained one of those vocal performances (as a separate track from the orchestral layer) but not the others

Geez, why go to all that trouble to make a partial musical then back out at the eleventh hour? It's not like he didn't have the best placed composer to handle the score. 

I know the deleted scenes on the Bluray are pitiful (and wildly incomplete) but the absence of this scene would further indicate it never made it far in post (certainly not far enough for Williams to score it). 

Well, the deleted scenes on the blu clearly come from a very early rough cut, before the cut of the film Williams scored, so it's very likely Low Below WAS on this same rough cut that the other deleted scenes were pulled from, and Spielberg asked for the Low Below part not to be included.

Those scenes were nice curiosities, but I'm honestly more curious to see the footage Williams DID score but then Spielberg removed from the film afterward, like the slicing the hand scene, the extended Goodnight Neverland, and all the bits and bobs that resulted in various cues being shortened in the final cut

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd guess whatever scene existed there was cut early because I can't imagine it gelling with JW's final cue at all (unless there was a wildly different alternate before 5M5 Show Us Your Hook existed).

Oddly enough, the 5M5 “Show Us Your Hook” that’s in both the leaked full score and sketches does not match the recorded version. The first minute or so is the same, but when the final version switches to the Stick With Me/Smee theme, the original continues with more Low Below. So, I assume the one we know must really be 5M5R or 5M5 Alt.

Has anyone ever mocked this up, before I go to the trouble?

On 9/19/2020 at 5:06 PM, BrotherSound said:

Oddly enough, the 5M5 “Show Us Your Hook” that’s in both the leaked full score and sketches does not match the recorded version. The first minute or so is the same, but when the final version switches to the Stick With Me/Smee theme, the original continues with more Low Below. So, I assume the one we know must really be 5M5R or 5M5 Alt.

Has anyone ever mocked this up, before I go to the trouble?

I've never seen anybody make any mockups of any Hook cues at all

On 9/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, bollemanneke said:

There's an extended Good Night Neverland? I don't even want to start imagining what this is.

I don't know what you mean. We have the entire cue on the LLL CD, we just haven't seen all the footage JW wrote it for 

Oh, something interesting I hadn’t caught before: the sketch of 5M5 “Show Us The Hook” has notes related to measures in something called “P.B.”, which I believe would mean “playback” in this context, which could be referencing the prerecorded version of the Low Below song:

image.png

image.png

Unfortunately, none of the songs are present in the leaked scores or sketches. Wild that a score that had multiple audio leaks and leaked full score sheet music and leaked sketches could still have this many mysteries!

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nice, I'm sure that stands for playback. 

Cool, then looks like at least some of the song arrangement was ultimately incorporated into 5M5!

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

And yea, why can't any Williams sheet leak ever be 100% complete?

I’m guessing all the pre-recorded material must have been archived separately. @crumbs Are all the pre-recorded cues (“We Don’t Wanna Grow Up”, “When You’re Alone”, etc.) on the various bootlegs just taken directly from the OST?

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Are all the pre-recorded cues (“We Don’t Wanna Grow Up”, “When You’re Alone”, etc.) on the various bootlegs just taken directly from the OST?

I believe so but I only have the most recent session leak, not the early bootlegs (that sounded like cassette tape rips), so I'm not 100% positive. There might have been a few orchestral-only versions on the bootleg. 

Both boots and the leak (and the LLL CD) all took Prologue, We Don't Want To Grow Up, Banning Back Home, and When You're Alone directly off the OST album

• 1 month later...

Looking at these poll options, I like to think that Hook is what Brian Eno meant when he said John Williams has ruined many great films and he would be the first vote for "HATE the score, LOVE the movie."

• 5 months later...

And as John Powell recently pointed out, a "demo" for John Williams usually involves an 80 piece orchestra recording the music.

So all that musical material has been sitting in a vault somewhere for 30+ years, unheard and unreleased, only used on the film set as reference for the actors.

Hopefully one day the labels will get permission from the actors to release those recordings...