Hook

Jay

Your thoughts on HOOK the score and movie?  

218 members have voted

1. 1.

• LOVE the score, LOVE the movie
    • LOVE the score, the movie is decent
    • LOVE the score, HATE the movie
    • HATE the score, LOVE the movie
    • HATE the score, the movie is decent
    • HATE the score, HATE the movie
    • the score is decent, I LOVE the movie
    • the score and movie are both decent
    • the score is decent, I HATE the movie

2 hours ago, Brando said:

I remember @Jay mentioning it somewhere else, I believe. I heard a little bit of the recording somewhere recently, it was lovely. Hopefully it surfaces for a future release.

...any chance you remember where?! 

Maybe he was thinking of this recording, which is not the original Julie Andrews, but rather a fan recording featuring Demi Fragale

Anyone else think it was funny Grieving makes the same mistake so many people do all the time - saying the film only has 2 songs in it, completely ignoring the existence of "Pick 'Em Up"?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe he was thinking of this recording, which is not the original Julie Andrews, but rather a fan recording featuring Demi Fragale

Yes! I believe it was this one. Now that I think about it, I released when listening to it it didn’t sound like Andrews. Also, it was in a podcast, but I can’t remember which one. But it’s here too.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyone else think it was funny Grieving makes the same mistake so many people do all the time - saying the film only has 2 songs in it, completely ignoring the existence of "Pick 'Em Up"?

He also says that "low below" is Hook's theme.

Low Below appears:

1. 4M3 Looney Wendy 1:05
  2. 5M4 I'll Take Those Shoes 2:44
  3. 5M5 Show Us Your Hook 3:32
  4. 5M6/6M1 Hook's Entrance 0:31
  5. 6M2 Draw Your Sword! 1:38

Then I believe disappears yea

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd be curious to learn what podcast it was if you can figure it out

Ok, so it seems that they didn’t share it in the original podcast I previously mentioned, which is the screenshot. The screenshot is a conversation between 2 people, one who, at the time, was preparing for a podcast series on the production of Hook, which released like 2 weeks ago. In episode 2, he actually shared the demo not sung by Andrews, and that is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hooked/id1594405769?i=1000543710484 at 13:28.

8F5E8556-33BA-421F-BDBB-42B43B6A35F5.png

1 hour ago, Brando said:

In episode 2, he actually shared the demo not sung by Andrews, and that is here...

Yes, that's the Demi Fragale recording that I rather naively "produced" back in my old high school choir room more than 20 years ago and shared with the JWFan community. Hardly a long lost demo, I'm afraid! I'm still surprised that this gets passed around as much as it does ... and that there aren't a dozen popular YouTube fan recordings just like it.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The greatest error of The Rocketeer, is to have been released in 1991.

Actually it's great that the movie came out in that year, right in the middle of Horner's most inspired era. 

Had this movie come out in 2018 or 2019 it would've had an underwhelming, uninspired and generic score by Lorne Balfe, Henry Jackman or Junkie XL or whatever expendable Zimmer clone.

• 2 weeks later...

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino talks a bit about Hook.  He confirms that the initial attempt by Spielberg to make a Peter Pan musical in the 80s never had anything written for it that was re-used for Hook, and also that Spielberg decided very late to put songs into the film - it wasn't the intent from the beginning.  It also seems that circa 2002, Bricusse was attempting to merge the songs from the 1976 musical version with the songs and melodies from Hook into a new musical production!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/01/29/remembering-leslie-bricusse/

The Hook discussion begins about 1 hour, 40 minutes in, but the entire episode is well worth a listen!

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2022 at 8:51 PM, ragoz350 said:

very tempting to find out what's in there, after that page... :)

image.png

The note "Croc Tower area" is interesting. It means that Smee returned to the kitchen and the Croc Tower area before returning to the forge and the brothel. The prostitute scene "Put your face on girls, here come smee" is only at the end of the second page because the "[Beverly speaks] - Well you should know" is only on the third page.  It give an idea of the continuity of the missing parts

On 13/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, Brando said:

Ok, so it seems that they didn’t share it in the original podcast I previously mentioned, which is the screenshot. The screenshot is a conversation between 2 people, one who, at the time, was preparing for a podcast series on the production of Hook, which released like 2 weeks ago. In episode 2, he actually shared the demo not sung by Andrews, and that is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hooked/id1594405769?i=1000543710484 at 13:28.

So thanks to this post I started listening to the "Hooked" podcast.  It's actually pretty good; Christopher Maloney did some new interviews with some people that were in the film (the kid who played Too Short, the kid who played flashback young Peter Pan, etc) and some informed journalists and such, and also pipes in snippets from old making-ofs, etc.  It's fairly thorough in going through everything from what I've heard so far (I've heard 3 of the 5 episodes).

But yea, in episode 2, he completely botches properly explaining the "Childhood" song he plays.  He says "and there's this, a lo-fi recording from the annals of the Hook archives, we have a copy thanks to a devoted Hook fan.  It's a song called 'Childhood'", and then he plays Takis' Demi Fragale recording.  I really think he should take the episode down and re-upload it with a proper introduction, like "and there's this, an unused song called 'Childhood' whose lyrics were published in a Leslie Bricusse songbook in the 1990s.  This has led to fans creating their own versions, such as this one sung by Demi Fragale".

Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Where'd that come from?

It's from Amblin website. https://amblin.com/movie/hook/

Some interesting stills and behind the scene pictures.

And here one of the deleted scene of Maggie and the slave lost boys. The scene that was supposed to precede "When you're alone".

hook_1991_photo_11-studio.png

“Smee enjoying a drink with mermaids.

Behind the scene picture of the deleted scene "Smee's escape".

Regina Banali, Shannon Kies, Stephanie Furst, Steven Spielberg, Bruce Cohen and Bob Hoskins.“

Whoa! Very interesting updates! I’ll check out the Amblin site in a few minutes, but this image was posted to Facebook. Makes me angry knowing there’s a literal treasure trove of deleted scenes from one of my favorite movies😨

1F256733-89DD-4EE9-A9D2-9277F8571941.jpeg

The three mermaids with the 3 different hair colors!  I just heard one of them talking about their experience on a podcast