Hook

Jay

Your thoughts on HOOK the score and movie?  

218 members have voted

1. 1.

• LOVE the score, LOVE the movie
    • LOVE the score, the movie is decent
    • LOVE the score, HATE the movie
    • HATE the score, LOVE the movie
    • HATE the score, the movie is decent
    • HATE the score, HATE the movie
    • the score is decent, I LOVE the movie
    • the score and movie are both decent
    • the score is decent, I HATE the movie

Personally, I LOVE the score (its my second favorite film score ever, after only the Empire Strikes Back), and LOVE the movie (never understood why so many people don't like it).

-Jason

To me, both the movie and the score are wonderful, so I voted for the top choice.

I love the magic that is in both the score and movie.

~Harry

There isn't an ounce of magic in either score or film for me. The score is the better of the 2 but the film is a total piece of crap. Next to Always and AI, Hook is the biggest piece of shit in Spielberg's canon.

Harry, I don't like Hook at all. The shear number of themes is so unimportant, its quality that counts, and since there are no characters in the film worth writing themes about, who cares.

But I find so much magic in the score for Harry Potter.

Sorry but Hook couldn't be more uninteresting to me than if Hans Zimmer had scored it.

Joe, who is a minority of one

Alright, I'll give you the Harry Potter bit. :music:

However, I still don't see where you are coming from, just like why you don't like the Last, or Least as you call it, Crusade score. To me, they're both filled with great themes and fun music.

~Harry

I first saw Hook about six years ago. I was eight and I friggin loved it! A true kids' fantasy adventure. Almost every time it's on TV, I watch it again.

Although I must say, the first half hour is more for adults, while the rest of the movie is more kids stuff. But hey, I still like it. :music:

Blasphemy Joe! Williams is always quality :music:

I say film is decent and love score.

The film isn't really decent. But yet I don't HATE it. I had to vote for the 3rd opption though because I'm closer to hating the film then thinking it's decent. :)

Justin -Confusing himself :?

The score is one of Williams' best. And I like the film, too - honestly don't understand why so many people hate it.

By the way, did anyone else see the Hook ghost flying across the table in Harry Potter?

Marian - who noticed that the second time he watched the film.

Fantastic score!

I hated the film for nine years after it's release, but it started to grow on me. Decent-ish. I love Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of Captain Hook. :)

By the way, did anyone else see the Hook ghost flying across the table in Harry Potter?

Marian - who noticed that the second time he watched the film.

Wasn't that supposed to be The Bloody Baron?

~Harry

Come on, 138 people have viewd this thread but only 28 have voted?

At least 25/28 love the score :)

-Jason

:mrgreen: 1941 (complete)

I must admit that I love the movie as well as the score. It's an irrational love ... I saw the movie when I was 11, so I was perfectly succeptible to it. I was totally enthralled, and I've watched it frequently since then, so I remain happily nostalgic to this day. I know what all the critics say ... what can I say? It's a guilty pleasure. :roll:

Come on, 138 people have viewd this thread but only 28 have voted?  

At least 25/28 love the score :)

-Jason

:mrgreen: 1941 (complete)

Remember that they might be guests who can not vote(well, at leat in the other board they couldn't vote) and sometimes many members(like myself) view the topic many times, and that increases the View count~ ;)

Hector - who likes Hook

Wasn't that supposed to be The Bloody Baron?

Hmm, it's been too long since I've read the books....but he looks exactly like Hook to me, up to the point that he looks exactly like Dustin Hoffmann (who I agree gave a fantastic performance in Hook).

Marian - who wonders.

I love both the score AND the movie. They're both very magical. One of William's best.

Williams is great in the movie, who would've thought? I love the scene where he finds out who he really is from Granny Wendy.....awesome music and acting in that one.

I never appreciated the score THAT much with the single c.d. initial release(you could say I'm saying something a less harsh than JoeinAr).There were so many condensed themes that it was more confusing than anything else.

With the double c.d. boot and DVD extracts ot the ultimate war,I changed my mind completely.The themes now seem to breathe more,are more developped,and now I do love the score.It's a bit like the original E.T. c.d. compared to the new more complete one which I MUCH prefer.The same applies to the score to Indiana Jones and Last Crusade.

Hook the movie..it not very good,and i saw it a few times over the years

K.M.

I'd personally go with love the score, highly let-down by the movie. It's one of Spielberg weaker efforts, and one of Williams' strongest (IMHO). Hate is such a strong word though, and I don't hate any Spielberg movies even on his worst day.

I love that score, one of the best ever, but the movie was a complete let down!!!!!!!

John Williamns has an ability to make me love a movie that I normally would give a crap about. Hook is one of those cases.

I got the CD in the early 90's when I got my first CD player and started catching up on all the Williams albums that I had either worn out from childhood (old LPs) or never got, Hook was one of the 1st in this era of building my collection.

At first I was a bit confused by it. It seemed childish and odd. But it grew on me and I began to hear so many themes. And very catchy ones at that. Much more than any other non-Star Wars sequel film.

So, I saw the movie wen it was broadcast on TV years back and I found it quite charming. Hoffman's Hook was quite good, and the music swept me into the film. I was quite upset with the fact that there was a good deal of unreleased music in the film, and I feared that would never hear it.

Then, the Concorde boot came out (which I got on ebay for $75), and it was impressive but still disappointing because some 10-15 minutes of the Ultimate War sequence was STILL missing.

Then, when I came online and learned that some of the veteren posters found a way to extract the missing music, I went and did it myself. The complete Ultimate War is a masterpiece by itself, let alone all the great music that accompanies it.

So, I love the score (It's in my top 5 for sure) and like the movie very much. Like Takis said, it's a guilty pleasure.

For me, Hook is still Williams' most "magical" score. To me, if Harry Potter was a beverage... it would be "Hook-lite".

Marian, there are 4 ghosts in the Hogwarts Castle, one for each of the houses. Gryffindor's ghost is Nearly Headless Nick (John Cleese), and Slytherin's is the Bloody Baron. I forget the other 2, but it was those ghosts you saw flying in the dining hall.

Don't you remember Nearly Headless Nick's Death-Day Party from book#2?

Or when he was miffed he couldn't join the Headless Hunt?

We should get to see more of the ghosts in movie#2, as long as they don't omit the death day party.

-Jason

I love!!! the Hook score, one of my very favorites. I like the movie too, but I wouldn't put it in my top 5, so I said that it was decent.

About the "Hook" ghost in HP, I think Harry's right, it was suppose to be the Bloody Baron. I heard one of the students say his name as he was flying down the table. But this is ridiculous as the Baron is supposed to be sullen and frightening.

And the other two ghosts: Ravenclaw has the Grey Lady and Hufflepuff has the Fat Friar. Hope that helps!

Ray Barnsbury

Harry, I don't like Hook at all.  The shear number of themes is so unimportant, its quality that counts, and since there are no characters in the film worth writing themes about, who cares.

Sorry but Hook couldn't be more uninteresting to me than if Hans Zimmer had scored it.

I take it you're not impressed with "Captain Panaka and The Queen's Protectors" from the first TPM album? To me, it blows away just about anything Williams produced for AOTC.

Don't you remember Nearly Headless Nick's Death-Day Party from book#2?

Or when he was miffed he couldn't join the Headless Hunt?

Of course I do. I just forgot about the Bloody Baron (whom I only vaguely remember). I thought Nick's deathday party was in book #1, but now I think you're right, should be in #2.

Marian - who still thinks the Bloody Baron in the film looks like Hoffman's Hook.

Harry, I don't like Hook at all.  The shear number of themes is so unimportant, its quality that counts, and since there are no characters in the film worth writing themes about, who cares.

I take it you're not impressed with "Captain Panaka and The Queen's Protectors" from the first TPM album? To me, it blows away just about anything Williams produced for AOTC.

What is the connection here, Alan?

-Chris, Not following how the Panaka cue or AOTC came up in the Hook/Potter discussion...

-Chris, Not following how the Panaka cue or AOTC came up in the Hook/Potter discussion...

I'm assuming, since Joe is so outspokenly unfond of all that is Hook, that he is also disappointed by any of John Williams's action music that is stylistically similar to "The Ultimate War."

I'm assuming, since Joe is so outspokenly unfond of all that is Hook, that he is also disappointed by any of John Williams's action music that is stylistically similar to "The Ultimate War."

Ahhh! I see. It is in a similar vein, isn't it.

BTW, since the MB has become a chat room of late, Who do you think that the Rockets will draft with the #1 overall pick?

BTW, since the MB has become a chat room of late, Who do you think that the Rockets will draft with the #1 overall pick?

Yao Ming is a huge (literally) risk, but the Rockets are badly in need of a true center. People like to point to Philly's Manute Bol for comparison, but a better analogy might be Cleveland's Danny Ferry, who was clearly a bust. There's no way we can tell what will happen...

But what piques my interest about Ming is his putatively deft outside shooting. He could almost be another Matt Bullard, although we'd certainly expect/hope for greater things from him..

I Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love & Love everything Hook!!

Yes I do.

Lord Gibson - who is awaiting the new live action Peter Pan Movie that's in pre-poduction.

There's another Peter Pan live action movie in the making? What was so wrong about Hook, don't answer that Joe, that someone has to make it again? Who's starring? Who's scoring? Who's directing?

~Harry

I can imagine that it might be a little hard since he's already scored a Peter Pan movie, so he wouldn't want to get too close to the music he's already composed. But, he's wonderfully talented, so I'm sure he can pull it off. :music:

~Harry

I don't know the answer to this, Alan. But since I don't care for the Ultimate War(I am baffled why so many think this is great stuff, when John has created so many better pieces.), who knows. But I will listen to the piece and let you know. Remember I was fond of TPM. Maybe...

Next to Always and AI, Hook is the biggest piece of shit in Spielberg's canon.

Truer words were ne'er spoken. The decade between "E.T." and "Schindler" was very grim indeed. I'm hoping that "A.I." was a fluke, although a year later I'm still having a hard time getting the foul taste out of my mouth.

WHY, OH WHY didn't Spielberg just go ahead and film a straight, live-action "Peter Pan?" Dustin Hoffman was perfect, I adore anything with Maggie Smith (except "Hook") -- although, of course, she would be a little old for Wendy, as Barrie conceived her -- Robin Williams would have to be out, and for godsake, get rid of Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell!

I felt embarrassed throughout most of "Hook." Captain Hook's demise was especially weak. What the hell was that? Unlike Joe, I enjoy the soundtrack, although those of you who elevate it to near-"Star Wars" status are vastly overrating it. (I feel the same about "Harry Potter," although the movie was better. Not great, but better.)

We've discussed it before, and as I said then, if you can get past Steven's overwhelming attempts to bury the story in overbudgeted filmmaking you'll find one of his true gems. That's what Williams did, and he wound up with a priceless gem of his own. It may take a few viewings (it did for me), but it's there, waiting to be found. I adore this film (and its score even more).

I've been tinkering with an extended review of it for a year or so now; one of these days I'll polish it up, and see if Ricard is still game to take submitted material for the site.

- Uni....who's still looking around in wonder.... :?

I'm ashamed to say, I saw it in the movies at least twice (hopefully, no more), and squirmed through some of it much later when it came on television and I couldn't change the channel because someone else was watching it. I hate that. I had similar experiences with "Braveheart" and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves."

Figo, praying for death when that happens.

Hi that`s my first post in that forum. I`ve watched you for a long time and now I`m glad to be a member.

For me Hook is a very, very, very good movie. I also have the Soundtrack and love.

To me it is one of JW`s greatest!

:) March of 1941