Hook

Jay

Your thoughts on HOOK the score and movie?  

218 members have voted

1. 1.

• LOVE the score, LOVE the movie
    • LOVE the score, the movie is decent
    • LOVE the score, HATE the movie
    • HATE the score, LOVE the movie
    • HATE the score, the movie is decent
    • HATE the score, HATE the movie
    • the score is decent, I LOVE the movie
    • the score and movie are both decent
    • the score is decent, I HATE the movie

Harry, I don't like Hook at all.  The shear number of themes is so unimportant, its quality that counts, and since there are no characters in the film worth writing themes about, who cares.

But I find so much magic in the score for Harry Potter.  

Sorry but Hook couldn't be more uninteresting to me than if Hans Zimmer had scored it.

Joe, who is a minority of one

I take it you're not impressed with "Captain Panaka and The Queen's Protectors" from the first TPM album? To me, it blows away just about anything Williams produced for AOTC.

Now I have listened to the piece, Panaka and The Queen's Protectors. It is a fine piece. Far better than the Ultimate War from Hook. IN NO WAY does it remind me stylistically of Ultimate Bore, I mean War. Once again, I admit that I am baffled by the praise Hook receives. I do not take it so litely, as I listened to Hook again today, trying to figure out why I am in the minority. It hit me that John basically stole the theme from the television show Dallas for his theme in Hook. I knew I had heard it before and now I am convinced that is the inspiration for Hook.

What was the point of that?

~Harry

It's called discussion about film music.

Anyway, to me, the piece does remind me of "The Ultimate War" -- my first few listens to the unreleased portions of this Hook cue were what really drove this home for me. As others have stated, there's no question that Shostakovich was an important inspiration for Williams here...

Now I do admit I don't have the 2 disc supposedly complete Hook, but I don't really want it. I know there is a ton of music on it. But I am pleased for everyone who does like it, I just could never imagine it being rated one of JW's best Spielberg scores...I may do a poll on that sooner of later.

Joe, who must decide whether to see Undercover Brother or Sum of All Fears first this weekend.

What was the point of that?

~Harry

It's called discussion about film music

Perhaps you missed my point. There was nothing in his post but quotes.

~Harry

• 6 years later...
Now I do admit I don't have the 2 disc supposedly complete Hook, but I don't really want it. I know there is a ton of music on it. But I am pleased for everyone who does like it

:P

That's making my signature.

---

I have a cut down version of the boot. Partly due to the sound quality, and partly that maybe I think it's a bit overrated. It's got some great set pieces and amazing themes, but I think just have to be in a certain mood to really take it in.

I have a cut down version of the boot. Partly due to the sound quality, and partly that maybe I think it's a bit overrated. It's got some great set pieces and amazing themes, but I think just have to be in a certain mood to really take it in.

Just out of curiosity, what did you cut?

Wow, that's funny. I don't know how Joey's gonna take being quoted on something he said six years ago. But I remember something silly I said about Ren becoming signature material back in the day, so it's all good.

If he gets as upset about being quoted as he does about people existing who like Last Crusade, his priorities are crazy.

All he has to do is ask, and promise to listen to the entire disc 3 of the new set, and I'll take it off :P

Love the score, the film's decent. Parts of it are actually quite good. A huge part of the reason why I like the film so much is the music. It adds to the film more than almost any other JW score.

Wow, that's funny. I don't know how Joey's gonna take being quoted on something he said six years ago. But I remember something silly I said about Ren becoming signature material back in the day, so it's all good.

You think that's funny...try quoting this.

The only real flaw with the movie is that it doesn't know what it wants to be-- a kids movie or a light-hearted adult re-telling of the Peter Pan saga.

It's sort of unbalanced. I can be completely comfortable watching some parts, but then others are a bit childish. But it's got Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman, there's no way this movie is BAD. Just a little uneven sometimes. And a little long.

I was reading the replies and came across the one guy complaining that there were so many views and so little votes. I didn't realize that was said nearly 6 years ago.

Anyway, I voted Love the score, Hate the movie. I don't hate the movie, and while I find it enjoyable, it's just full of potential that goes to waste.

The score on the other hand, is something I actually just started listening to about a year ago and I fall in love with every time I hear it. I've actually never heard the boot so you bet I'll be seeking that out. My only gripe is the kid songs. I was never one to listen to kids sing, so I usually skip those tracks (Hook, Azkaban, etc).

Love the score. A masterpiece, one of my absolute favorites.

Like the movie. I find it to be quite underrated despite not being one of Spielberg's best.

I agree that the movie doesn't know what it wants to be. I was flipping through the channels a few weeks ago and it was on, so I left it. My girlfriend hadn't seen it before, and I told her I loved the music but the movie was just ok.

Then it came to the food fight and name calling sequence. And I felt embarrassed for showing her that kind of garbage, so I changed the channel.

Wow, ten new posts and seven new votes since playing old post resurrector. That was from page 190, I wonder what conversational gem can be found on page 191...

I think all the scenes in Kensignton are quite wonderful (the first half hour and the epilogue). The first half hour in particular is quite wonderful in fact. All the scenes with Hoskins and Hoffmann are stealers. But the kiddie humor and lame action really bring it down a notch. The score is brilliant (I don't care if someone says the word brilliant is thrown around too often)

I agree that the movie doesn't know what it wants to be. I was flipping through the channels a few weeks ago and it was on, so I left it. My girlfriend hadn't seen it before, and I told her I loved the music but the movie was just ok.

Then it came to the food fight and name calling sequence. And I felt embarrassed for showing her that kind of garbage, so I changed the channel.

Wow, ten new posts and seven new votes since playing old post resurrector. That was from page 190, I wonder what conversational gem can be found on page 191...

Happy hunting!

BTW, since the MB has become a chat room of late, Who do you think that the Rockets will draft with the #1 overall pick?

Yao Ming is a huge (literally) risk, but the Rockets are badly in need of a true center. People like to point to Philly's Manute Bol for comparison, but a better analogy might be Cleveland's Danny Ferry, who was clearly a bust. There's no way we can tell what will happen...

But what piques my interest about Ming is his putatively deft outside shooting. He could almost be another Matt Bullard, although we'd certainly expect/hope for greater things from him..

Heh. Yao still has a decent touch from 10-15 feet out, but his strength now is clearly in the low post. It'll be interesting to see how Yao figures into the Adelman offense this season.

Apparently I voted way back then but never posted.

I like the score to Hook, I think the Concorde (notice the "e") 2 disc set is fine although I would drop the alternates and add the missing cues featuring the duel between Hook and Peter and Hook's fate. that would be a perfect release. A three disc set with all kinds of alternates is overkill as far as I'm concerned.

The film is ok although once Peter meets up with the Lost Boys the film drags until the final battle. The scenes with Hook (Hoffman) keep the film going.

Movie has it's magic moments (flight to neverland, peter pan flies), but in times it's too childish, in other times too confusing.

The score is a big rollercoaster ride, and a holy book for composers.

• 2 weeks later...
We need more polls these days with options like these.

I guess I thought the same way 6 1/2 years ago when I made this poll!

It is fascinating for me, the correlation between how good a movie is and how good its score is...

The film is ok although once Peter meets up with the Lost Boys the film drags until the final battle. The scenes with Hook (Hoffman) keep the film going.

Don't forget Hoskins.

I like the concept of the movie.

• 2 years later...

Listened to the complete score today and yesterday and just really think this is a supreme, supreme effort by the maestro. So many themes are woven in and out, and they all are introduced and then build and develop in a marvelous way.

The complete Ultimate War sequence is just the best 20 minutes of music ever written, I think. Contains so many themes, so many brilliant fanfares, so much energy and drive... its pure orchestral bliss.

And everything wraps up at the end with the beautiful Family theme, which is what Peter realized at the end is the most important thing of all.

There is honestly no score release I would like more than a complete score release of HOOK, hopefully handled by Matessino or another good producer and not Bouzereau

I never voted in this old poll, so I voted now: love the score, hate the film. I can appreciate that many were exposed to it at a young age, but I was not, and for me, it just grates. But the score is among Williams' best - it's got a rich variety of themes that are woven together in expert compositions with orchestration that is positively sumptuous. I agree with Jay that the complete "The Ultimate War" is drop-dead amazing, though I couldn't confidently call it the best 20 minutes of action music ever. This is Williams at his...swashbucklingest. Truly exciting, rousing music that is both emotionally satisfying and intellectually interesting. This is the side of Hook that I enjoy the most.

Personally, I LOVE the score (its my second favorite film score ever, after only the Empire Strikes Back), and LOVE the movie (never understood why so many people don't like it).

-Jason

Couldn't agree more, great movie AWESOME score

I don't remember where what thread I read it in yesterday, but someone posted saying that MV basically confirmed Hook was coming out this year? Does anyone know where that post was made?

That post was just referring to the whole "well, the 20th anniversary of HOOK isn't until next year" thing. There is no new quote.

That post was just referring to the whole "well, the 20th anniversary of HOOK isn't until next year" thing. There is no new quote.

Ah that's what I figured. Well we'll just have to wait and see if it actually is released from LLL this year or not. Fingers crossed, though. :)

Yes, but a Bouzereau-produced Hook would inspire enough complaining to sustain us through all of 2012...

It won't, because it will be the best 3 (4 ?) CD-set the world has ever seen (apart from a few others, such as LOTR CRs, of course ;) ).

Again, I don't understand why a complete Hook should be released as a three or even four discs set.

The full complete score will fit only two discs (likely maxed out at 79 min. both), taking also into count all the known alternate cues. Unless there's another full alternate score waiting to be discovered or you want a reissue of the OST Album paired alongside, I think a 2-CD set will be enough to present everything Williams composed and recorded for the film.

The full complete score will fit only two discs (likely maxed out at 79 min. both), taking also into count all the known alternate cues. Unless there's another full alternate score waiting to be discovered or you want a reissue of the OST Album paired alongside, I think a 2-CD set will be enough to present everything Williams composed and recorded for the film.

I don't think so, not with all the alternates, some of which remain unreleased to this day. I remember i once had a seriously shitty sounding boot of this and it contained around 4 alternates for TINK'S ARRIVAL and the glockenspiel was different on every one of them. Not that it was substantial or something, but i don't think, with soundtrack collectors so anal nowadays, they'd dare to exclude stuff like this.

some of the alternates are useless, such as Tink's Arrival.

But some are absolutely essential : The Banquet Film Version with the food appears on the table passage

some of the alternates are useless, such as Tink's Arrival.

But some are absolutely essential : The Banquet Film Version with the food appears on the table passage

"Mr. Williams helped to prepare this album and we respectfully bowed to his wishes how his music should be heard. Mr. Williams asked us specifically NOT to include any alternates to not destroy the flow of the listening experience."

I don't think so, not with all the alternates, some of which remain unreleased to this day. I remember i once had a seriously shitty sounding boot of this and it contained around 4 alternates for TINK'S ARRIVAL and the glockenspiel was different on every one of them. Not that it was substantial or something, but i don't think, with soundtrack collectors so anal nowadays, they'd dare to exclude stuff like this.

I want the alternates to be radically different. If it's just a slight change in performances or as you mentioned, the glockenspiel, then I don't need to hear it.

Yeah, there are alternate takes and there are alternate cues. The former is a waste of storage space, as far as I'm concerned, but the latter is great to have, especially in the case of a score like Hook, which has a some rather nice inserts and alternates.

Since there's a slew of just 20-30 seconds (or even less) inserts all over the place (snippets in "The Arrival of Tink", "Ultimate War", "Never-Feast", etc.), I wouldn't present the full cues all over again just for a short tidbit. I'd prefer to present the cue as originally written and recorded and then present the re-recorded insert on a separate track, so anyone who wants to edit his own "film version" can do it easily.