73 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

• The Asteroid Field
    • Desert Chase

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the point of comparison, one is a long track the other isn't. I do love the Meco version of Asteroid Field.

Desert Chase. It has everything. And you can hear it better in the actual film then you can Asteroid Field - which is drowned out in many sections because of the non-stop sound effects. I think Desert Chase wins because it's one example where music HAS to carry the story - considering the sequence in the film is almost entirely dialogue free - save for Belloq's "He's There."

"The Enterprise"

Neil

That cue is great and all, but better than The Asteroid Field and The Desert Chase?

What do you like more about The Enterprise than those cues?

And you can hear it better in the actual film then you can Asteroid Field - which is drowned out in many sections because of the non-stop sound effects.

That's the difference between Stevie and Georgie.

No, that's the difference between a space ship outrunning other space ships in an asteroid field and one man chasing a truck in the desert

Also, George didn't write or direct TESB

No, that's the difference between a space ship outrunning other space ships in an asteroid field and one man chasing a truck in the desert

So you think George didn't have anything to do with ESB?

:)

Riiiiight!

Riiiiight!

I never said that. However, its been well documented that TESB IS the SW film that he had the least involvement with.

Difficult to choose. Desert Chase is twice the length of Asteroid Field. I go for both.

Hey Jessie, why don't you put back that picture of yours? You are so cute in it...

Riiiiight!

I never said that. However, its been well documented that TESB IS the SW film that he had the least involvement with.

You're missing the point. Steven Spielberg usually uses JW's music to better effect, is all I'm saying. ;)

Difficult to choose. Desert Chase is twice the length of Asteroid Field. I go for both.

Hey Jessie, why don't you put back that picture of your? You are so cute in it...

Hey Jessie, why don't you put back that picture of yours? You are so cute in it...

Dude, you're stuttering. ;)

I go for Asteroid Field. I find it Williams' best action cue, while Desert Chase holds the second place. I cannot explain my choice, especially there is no objective argument to support it. It's just the way I feel about them.

Hey Jessie, why don't you put back that picture of your? You are so cute in it...

Dude, you're stuttering. :)

My emotions at their peak... AHAHAHAHA!

I vote for "Asteroid Field", though I had no idea that a concert arrangement was written....

Sure, it's on The Star Wars Trilogy, the Skywalker version or the USO version.

Desert Chase. It has everything. And you can hear it better in the actual film then you can Asteroid Field - which is drowned out in many sections because of the non-stop sound effects. I think Desert Chase wins because it's one example where music HAS to carry the story - considering the sequence in the film is almost entirely dialogue free - save for Belloq's "He's There."

Ok, so the winner is Gillian's Escape. :D

Really, I prefer The Asteroid Field... despite the dialogue, sound effects, etc..

I love them both, but at the same time, I listen to The Asteroid Field much more. I love the energy of The Asteroid Field, because it sort of has a ballet-quality, very operatic.

What do you like more about The Enterprise than those cues?

It's from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

:baaa:

I'm honestly curious to hear from Neil what specifically he likes about it better than the Williams' pieces

Not really, while Goldsmith has written scores that are better than Williams' you can easily reverse it. The only thing Goldsmith really wins at is the volume of work he has done compared to Williams.

That being said "The Enterprise" is one of Goldsmith's highlights in his distinguished career. Is it better than the two Williams cues in this poll? I think that is just a matter of taste. No real right or wrong answer.

Not really, while Goldsmith has written scores that are better than Williams' you can easily reverse it. The only thing Goldsmith really wins at is the volume of work he has done compared to Williams.

Goldsmith has written more great scores than Williams; hence he is (was) better.

"The Enterprise" has greater melodic unity than either of Williams's pieces in question.

That being said "The Enterprise" is one of Goldsmith's highlights in his distinguished career. Is it better than the two Williams cues in this poll? I think that is just a matter of taste. No real right or wrong answer.

It is difficult to compare them, as the two JW cues are full out action cues, while "The Enterprise" is clearly not.

I'd go out on a limb and say Enterprise is better than the two on the poll.

I'd go out on a limb and say Enterprise is better than 95% of John Williams output.