Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is anywhere near as good as "Dry Your Tears, Afrika," I'll be happy.
His new piece will be played by Mr. Perlman on violin, Mr. Ma on cello, Gabriela Montero on piano and Anthony McGill on clarinet. (Usually at this juncture in previous inaugurations an operatic soloist performs.)

Interesting. I wonder if JW will conduct?

Contrary to what the one source there may say, I find it unlikely that Williams would conduct a quartet of renowned soloists. Chamber music is usually done without conductor.

I'm rather disappointed. I saw a story on the news mentioning Franklin, Perlman, and Yo-Yo Ma, but they said nothing about Williams. I wanna say this was on MSNBC even. So I didn't know about this until now. Cool news indeed!

And now I'm suddenly curious about the Fanfare for Michael Dukakis. Is there even a bootleg recording of that in existence?

And now I'm suddenly curious about the Fanfare for Michael Dukakis. Is there even a bootleg recording of that in existence?

No..not to my knowledge. Same for Celebration Fanfare,Fanfare for Prince Philip and Fanfare for Ten Year Old

Wow good news :ola: although I would have been even more excited if it would be a full blown orchestral piece. In his chamber music JW tends to be a bit avant-garde/modernistic (or just atonal).

And I don't like it that there is no biography of mr. Williams in that article. :ola: :ola:

Didn't he also write something for the 1987 special Olympics or something like that?

Wow good news :ola: although I would have been even more excited if it would be a full blown orchestral piece. In his chamber music JW tends to be a bit avant-garde/modernistic (or just atonal).

I doubt that will be the case on this occaision.

Didn't he also write something for the 1987 special Olympics or something like that?

Were Lookin Good .There's bootlegs of that one

It's one of my favorite JW pieces!

Give the man a break, he's only written officially 2 chamber works (not counting his piano sonata), and they're some of the best stuff he's composed (in my opinion). Anyway, he has made a lot of adaptations of his own themes for chamber ensemble (usually piano and soloist), and they all are so well written. This being said, he also performs and writes music for (his own) home recitals that we will never hear of. The man is quite an expert.

the 4 unresolved mysteries

Celebration Fanfare will get a world premiere at some concert next year .

It's been premiered for 20 years now. Quoting Miguel Andrade:

"Celebration Fanfare was comissioned by Houston Symphony's Composer in Residence Tobias Picker for the orchestra's Fanfare Project.

For the 1986/87 season, every concert was opened with the premiere of one of the 21 comissioned fanfares, by composers like Elliot Carter, John Adams, Steve Reich, John Harbinson, Christopher Rouse and Marius Constant.

The Williams fanfare was premiered on September 6, 1986, with the orchestra conducted by conductor Sergiu Comissiona."

the 4 unresolved mysteries

Let's not forget the vast amount of alternative and unused cues from scores that have not received expanded releases or been bootlegged (e.g. everything from the 90s). Also, what about the early scores that Andre Previn allegedly replaced?

I like the Australian way better.

Me too. :ola: can't believe this forum outlaws pride.

Anyway Williams should be quiet inspired I think, so expect him to put in a maxmium effort. :ola:

17 - Any display of patriotism or general pride in one's country, heritage, family, or personal accomplishments is prohibited.

This was a joke, Morn.

There is no rule 17.

I actually went to the welcome board and looked if there was a rule 17

Celebration Fanfare will get a world premiere at some concert next year .

It's been premiered for 20 years now. Quoting Miguel Andrade:

"Celebration Fanfare was comissioned by Houston Symphony's Composer in Residence Tobias Picker for the orchestra's Fanfare Project.

For the 1986/87 season, every concert was opened with the premiere of one of the 21 comissioned fanfares, by composers like Elliot Carter, John Adams, Steve Reich, John Harbinson, Christopher Rouse and Marius Constant.

The Williams fanfare was premiered on September 6, 1986, with the orchestra conducted by conductor Sergiu Comissiona."

Well of course,but nobody recorded that performance

Well,we'll all be watching/recording the inauguration now

i bet the new Williams composition will be during a commercial break

C-Span has no commercial breaks.

Ah, that's wonderful. It would be quite funny if it just sounded like Rosewood or "Miles on Wheels" from Eathquake.

On a more serious note. I wonder if this will be a continuation of "American Journey". Imagine all that's happened since he composed that, and now perhaps there will be some feeling of resolution.

I pity the poor fools going to the inauguration. They say with between 1 and 5 million people there, there will be one toilet for every 6,489 people. That really sucks. Immodium only does half the job.

On a more serious note. I wonder if this will be a continuation of "American Journey". Imagine all that's happened since he composed that, and now perhaps there will be some feeling of resolution.

I would feel anything but resolution looking at America today.

That honestly wasn't meant to be a political reference, at least not an opinionated one.

In pretty much any innaguration, which is of a symbolic event more than anything else, people generally try to focus on positive stuff. Because Obama's general position on most issues has been (whether you agree with him or not) "things aren't good right now, I'll make them better," I expect that he'll try to focus on the positive possibilities as opposed to positive realities. Therefore, I think that's what we can expect from JW's piece. As opposed to a 5 minute piece titled "Wall Street's Noble End."

I hope this doesn't count as political discussion, as it is truly is honest speculation of the music.

That honestly wasn't meant to be a political reference, at least not an opinionated one.

In pretty much any innaguration, which is of a symbolic event more than anything else, people generally try to focus on positive stuff. Because Obama's general position on most issues has been (whether you agree with him or not) "things aren't good right now, I'll make them better," I expect that he'll try to focus on the positive possibilities as opposed to positive realities. Therefore, I think that's what we can expect from JW's piece. As opposed to a 5 minute piece titled "Wall Street's Noble End."

I hope this doesn't count as political discussion, as it is truly is honest speculation of the music.

I am really excited to hear this news

I would think the symbolism would be more about how Obama is the first black president (or will be). That's certainly positive.

But he's not the first black president. He's the first half-black president. History ought to remember the difference. His black father didn't take a black woman as a wife, it was a white woman who gave birth to his son.

But he's not the first black president. He's the first half-black president. History ought to remember the difference. His black father didn't take a black woman as a wife, it was a white woman who gave birth to his son.

Obama is indeed biracial, but he identifies as black (or African American). And the very fact that you were compelled to make this distinction is suggestive of the degree to which his social identity has been shaped by the one-drop rule.

I would think the symbolism would be more about how Obama is the first black president (or will be). That's certainly positive.

What, are you saying John Williams is going to write a piece simliar to "Amistad"?

c-span? this won't be on network TV?

Of course it will be on network TV too.

But you're better off with C-SPAN if you can get it. No network, anchor, or commercial interrupions. I watched both conventions on C-SPAN.

What, are you saying John Williams is going to write a piece simliar to "Amistad"?

Uh, no.

Well, it's sort of to be expected. Slavery was arguably the most embarrassing, undemocratic thing for America to not only endorse, but take part in. It's only natural that when America as a whole reaches the epitome of racial civil rights by selecting one of a racial minority (the same minority that was enslaved centuries ago) for the highest human position in the nation, we compare it to our shameful beginnings, if only to show ourselves our huge democratic progression and evolution.

Well, it's sort of to be expected. Slavery was arguably the most embarrassing, undemocratic thing for America to not only endorse, but take part in. It's only natural that when America as a whole reaches the epitome of racial civil rights by selecting one of a racial minority (the same minority that was enslaved centuries ago) for the highest human position in the nation, we compare it to our shameful beginnings, if only to show ourselves our huge democratic progression and evolution.

Even though Obama's family haven't had anything to do with it :P

Not true. Obama is a descendant of slave owners.

Is he?

Is he?

Yes he is, as is his wife (at least partly). But we should stay on topic.

Judging from the instruments used for th piece we even could get some nice tango or Waltz like piece. How about something like Williams' arrangement of Tango Por Una Cabeza? Or something similar in style to Tale of Victor Navorsky?

Yes he is, as is his wife (at least partly). But we should stay on topic.

Judging from the instruments used for th piece we even could get some nice tango or Waltz like piece. How about something like Williams' arrangement of Tango Por Una Cabeza? Or something similar in style to Tale of Victor Navorsky?

I meant the exact slave owners, not just white people :P Nevermind.

As far as this new piece is concerned, I don't expect anything too modern or avant-garde. This is going to be a show for the masses, thus the music must be acceptable for common people who will gather there or watch it on tv. I suppose it will be joyous and optimistic composition, not necessarily waltz or tango-like, and definitely not like Viktor's theme, which was heavily influenced by east-european flavour. There will probably be some nods to americana or any other american musical tradition (from typically traditional pieces to jazz as well). Anyway, I hope it will be more interesting than most of his quite generic patriotic writing.