Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch and hear this amazing piece here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27721638/vp/28738382#28738382

Thanks for this link.

A few interesting visual tid-bits: Montero wearing gloves (fingerless), the joy and sense of fun on Yo-Yo Ma's face as they launch into the "exuberant rendering" of "Simple Gifts"

I suggest recording that MS NBC video.It has the best sound quality

funny Firefox download helper is not picking it up so it has to be recorded manually.

funny Firefox download helper is not picking it up so it has to be recorded manually.

The RealPlayer Download & Recording Plugin works. You get a nice 18.7 MB .flv download.

Watch and hear this amazing piece here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27721638/vp/28738382#28738382

Thanks for the link. It is a nice piece, but I honestly find it a tad difficult to get all excited over what is nothing more than a special arrangement of an older work. Take the big occasion away and we are left with a nice little performance and that's it.

The RealPlayer Download & Recording Plugin works. You get a nice 18.7 MB .flv download.

Much easier than that: http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/n_yoyoma_090120.flv :)

Much easier than that: http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/n_yoyoma_090120.flv :)

Well done! :)

Thanks for the link. It is a nice piece, but I honestly find it a tad difficult to get all excited over what is nothing more than a special arrangement of an older work. Take the big occasion away and we are left with a nice little performance and nothing more.

The occasion itself is hard to "take away." When classical performers of the caliber of Ma, Perlman, Montero, and McGill get center stage at an inaugural ceremony, it's a pretty big deal. When your favorite living composer gets to insert his voice into said ceremony, it's even bigger. Major credit has to be given to the inauguration planning committee for giving the thumbs up to this. Don't want to talk politics, but if this is any sign of the respect the arts will be given during the next four years, I will be quite happy.

:)

Thanks for the link. It is a nice piece, but I honestly find it a tad difficult to get all excited over what is nothing more than a special arrangement of an older work. Take the big occasion away and we are left with a nice little performance and nothing more.

The occasion itself is hard to "take away." When classical performers of the caliber of Ma, Perlman, Montero, and McGill get center stage at an inaugural ceremony, it's a pretty big deal. When your favorite living composer gets to insert his voice into said ceremony, it's even bigger. Major credit has to be given to the inauguration planning committee for giving the thumbs up to this. Don't want to talk politics, but if this is any sign of the respect the arts will be given during the next four years, I will be quite happy.

Please don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. The sense of ceremony and the significance of it is paramount, but as a bare bones piece of music (since that is what most people here tend to put above ALL other things, ALL of the time) , I'm indifferent to it. I find it pleasingly ironic that I for once appear to be the only one who sees it that way.

Nonetheless, very well done to our Maestro. You make us proud.

Did anyone catch the line in Obama's speech where he pledged to the entire world that all of John Williams' unreleased music would see the light of day under his presidency?

Did anyone catch the line in Obama's speech where he pledged to the entire world that all of John Williams' unreleased music would see the light of day under his presidency?

I did. But I'm gutted he didn't promise to stop George Lucas from meddling with powers he cannot possibly understand.

I love watching Obama applauding the music!

What else did you expect him to do? Boo the piece? :lol:

It was a nice composition/arrangement by Williams.

What else did you expect him to do? Boo the piece? :lol:

Unfortunately, there was enough booing to be had this morning as it was. Some people just have no class. But then again, the whole thing was being celebrated and covered like it were a rock or sports event, so I guess that's what you get.

He would not have looked cool standing there at all. The world wanted to see the faces of the musicians, not the backside of John Williams. It was quite enough that so many people had to turn around as it was to watch the musicians as it stood.

The main page links to this review of the piece from the New York Times. A nice, almost surprisingly respectful article.

And I cannot even begin to believe the comments on that article. Are so-called classical musicians and enthusiasts really so dense? Borrowing outright passages from Debussy and Dvorak? Way to spread lies!

The main page links to this review of the piece from the New York Times. A nice, almost surprisingly respectful article.

yes some nice comments by the users:

John Williams is a bit of a hack. He recycled his Star Wars theme to create his soundtrack for the Harry Potter novies and even this composition for the inauguration lifted from Copeland. That is not a virtue but speaks of creative bankruptcy. I realize that all artists ‘borrow’ or incorporate the work of other artists in their creations, but usually the effect isn’t usually an obvious patchwork of other composers that mark most of Williams’ compositions. He deserves his second rate reputation because few, if any of his compositions, are really his own. I simply do not understand the reverence given to him.

Uhhmm I think it was deliberate that he chose Copland, just a thought!

John Williams is a bit of a hack. He recycled his Star Wars theme to create his soundtrack for the Harry Potter novies and even this composition for the inauguration lifted from Copeland. That is not a virtue but speaks of creative bankruptcy. I realize that all artists ‘borrow’ or incorporate the work of other artists in their creations, but usually the effect isn’t usually an obvious patchwork of other composers that mark most of Williams’ compositions. He deserves his second rate reputation because few, if any of his compositions, are really his own. I simply do not understand the reverence given to him.

Oh wow. Where's the Star Wars theme in Harry Potter? How have we been missing this? Clever! :P

Oh wow. Where's the Star Wars theme in Harry Potter? How have we been missing this? Clever! :P

actually it is there. In the film version of platform 9 4/3 as the train departs.. you hear the motive. but I doubt the user meant that!

In this situation, Williams did not "compose" an entirely new piece, and the introduction announces as much. It is an "arrangement" of a song that invokes the kinds of feelings that Obama and company wanted to invoke on this day. A totally original piece of music might have done the same trick, and gotten all the Williams fanboys even giddier, but there's nothing wrong with using a solid piece of Americana for this American event.

actually it is there. In the film version of platform 9 4/3 as the train departs.. you hear the motive. but I doubt the user meant that!

It's before the train departs, but yes, it's in there. Sorta. It's the same notes, but they're presented in a way that Luke's theme never is.

Haha, exactly. The user meant it in a derogatory manner and probably doesn't even know about that (I know I didn't!). Generally if people are so hostile towards something it's because they haven't taken the time to actually get to know the material. Either that or they just choose to ignore all the good in something and focus on the one offensive bit.

In this situation, Williams did not "compose" an entirely new piece, and the introduction announces as much. It is an "arrangement" of a song that invokes the kinds of feelings that Obama and company wanted to invoke on this day. A totally original piece of music might have done the same trick, and gotten all the Williams fanboys even giddier, but there's nothing wrong with using a solid piece of Americana for this American event.

Besides, there is a long history among most composers of using their native folk music in their compositions. Just because Copland arranged it first doesn't mean that no one else can do it.

I've never seen anyone put down the several composers that have adapted Paganini material. Or what about Bartok? Kodaly?

It is! Even one of my professors that is known to hate everything to do with film music and film composers enjoyed the piece. It's getting flack because it's Williams - not because it's bad! It's popular for elitists to hate Williams.

Mmmmm

— pete

Copeland
-pete

Joe, is that you doing some kind of joke for us? :P

If not, that guy is just a blithering idiot.

Copland didn't compose the melody to simple gifts either, so that shows the idiocy of whoever says that Williams stole from him.