Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's rather uninteresting and "meh." John Williams writing small 5 minute pieces of music fail to please to me. Kinda like with A Timeless Call.

Do you not like

, either?

I think it's rather uninteresting and "meh." John Williams writing small 5 minute pieces of music fail to please to me. Kinda like with A Timeless Call.

This is much different than Timeless Call. There was nothing in the score to that short that would make me buy a CD release (except the fact that JW scored it). Then again, the short itself was pretty average.

"Air and Simple Gifts" really is great, IMO. And that's coming from someone who isn't a big fan of Copland.

I've listened to this piece more and more, and every time it gets better. It is a great piece of music.

How can this be? What nonsense is this, that it gets better and better? Isn't its goodness fixed as a matter of fact, and measurably only in the year 2309?

:rolleyes:

Do you not like

, either?

well, it's even better in full orchestra

Anyways it confirms to me that main melody isn't remotely composed by Williams .The bookend Rosewoodish theme isn't that great

Cool, they used the back-up recording! Without any noise from the publicum, very cool!!

No, NPR is using the same performance that was heard at the inauguration, with the same background buzz and increased mic noise during the opening bars. It's just a little cleaner, and they fade out before the applause begins.

I am very pleased with any new Williams composition, certainly when performed before an 1.2 million people audience :)

But in this case I would have preferred a full blown orchestral fanfare.

Btw, I heard Olympic Spirit during Obama's tour from the White House to the Capitol, and in the parade I heard both Olympic Spirit and Summon the Heroes.

Did anyone check the "The Moment" 3D compilation photo on CNN for the presence of mr. Williams in the VIP section?

Wow amazing that the chamber ensemble arrangement is more interesting than the orchestral version. It just shows that music isn't just some thick string sound. you don't need 100 musicians to get carried away.

Wow amazing that the chamber ensemble arrangement is more interesting than the orchestral version. It just shows that music isn't just some thick string sound. you don't need 100 musicians to get carried away.

But you need one brilliant composer/arranger. Then it all does wonders. :)

I've listened to this piece more and more, and every time it gets better. It is a great piece of music.

How can this be? What nonsense is this, that it gets better and better? Isn't its goodness fixed as a matter of fact, and measurably only in the year 2309?

:)

:huh:

Hey did you notice that when the Clarinet starts the shaker hymn and the piano steps in, the Violin plays John Williams own theme from the first part simulatenously to the hymn? listen carefully, the falling 4 note motive from the beginning, and jst 10 secs later again!

Very nice :)

Hey did you notice that when the Clarinet starts the shaker hymn and the piano steps in, the Violin plays John Williams own theme from the first part simulatenously to the hymn? listen carefully, the falling 4 note motive from the beginning, and jst 10 secs later again!

Very nice :)

Yup, it's all integrated quite nicely. :huh:

(A lot of smiley face emoticons recently.)

true! :)

I just read the Variety article. they did a recording on sunday which williams supervised??

hell, release it now!

You know I really like the Williams of recent times.

Duo Concertante

Timeless Call

Simple Gifts

Warner at War (?)

Harp Concerto

Viola Concerto

If this is they way, you enjoy your Hollywood retirement, then I am really pleased! :huh:

I think it's rather uninteresting and "meh." John Williams writing small 5 minute pieces of music fail to please to me.

I'm sure John would be devastated to hear that.

Cool, they used the back-up recording! Without any noise from the publicum, very cool!!

No, NPR is using the same performance that was heard at the inauguration, with the same background buzz and increased mic noise during the opening bars. It's just a little cleaner, and they fade out before the applause begins.

What would be the best recording? MSNBC, NPR, or that m4a file? I'm assuming that for the TV channels the source is the same; I'm guessing MSNBC is the least compressed then?

Here's another fun one for us Constitution/politcal geeks: Obama retook the Oath of Office last night after the flub of the original.

...which was (mainly) the fault of the Chief Justice, I might add.

Here's another fun one for us Constitution/politcal geeks: Obama retook the Oath of Office last night after the flub of the original.

did he do it on purpose?

did he do it on purpose?

No, Roberts got thrown off by Obama starting to talk before Roberts finished the first line.

The air almost made me cry as soon as it came on. Very heartfelt theme. Very meaningful. And then simple gifts started precisely at 12:00 when Obama became president.

The air almost made me cry as soon as it came on. Very heartfelt theme. Very meaningful. And then simple gifts started precisely at 12:00 when Obama became president.

Yay! Somebody thinks this piece is as awesome as I do. I'm sure there are others, but no one is really talking about it the way you did. I agree!

did he do it on purpose?

No, Roberts got thrown off by Obama starting to talk before Roberts finished the first line.

:blink: It was their first date, and they were nervous.

That's...difficult. I mean, I can definitely appreciate where they're coming from...the focus should be on delivering a flawless performance for the public in this case, no matter what it takes, and when the weather's like that, there's no way that's possible if you're performing live...and it also makes sense that they wouldn't announce it right before, because that'd just feel cheap...but there's still something disheartening about this.

What it does mean, among other things, is that there is a high quality recording of these four players performing Air & Simple Gifts that is far superior to the ripped one we've all been listening to.

If you're going to go cheap on us, Yo Yo, at least give us your tape!

What it does mean, among other things, is that there is a high quality recording of these four players performing Air & Simple Gifts that is far superior to the ripped one we've all been listening to.

Yeah, the Variety article intimated as much. What none of us knew up this point was that what we heard on Inauguration Day and what had been previously recorded were one and the same.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...UkE9lAD95SKQQ80

The temperature hovered around 30 for the ceremony on the Capitol steps, too cold for McGill's clarinet, Ma's cello or Perlman's violin to offer true pitch. But the cold played havoc with the piano, which can't hold tune below 55 degrees for more than two hours, Florman said.

So I was right then, it was the back-up recording. But it's very clear when you hear it that it isn't a live recording, for me it was.

Looks like CNN will be releasing a DVD-R of the Inauguration via Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/BarackObamaInaugurationDVD

51wig8NCbeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Looks like this may be the best way to get a recording of the piece in the short term. From the Amazon description (bold text added for emphasis):

"On January 20, 2009, the world watched as Barack Obama became the 44th president of the United States. History was made when the first African-American ever-elected president put his hand on Abraham Lincoln’s Bible and took the oath of office.

Watch how it all happened in real time. CNN and The Best Political Team on Television take you moment by moment as a new administration takes the seat of power. See the parade of former Presidents and dignitaries as they are seated on the Presidential Podium, witness the swearing-in of President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden. Watch the final departure of Former President George W. Bush and First Lady Laura Bush from the White House.

The ceremony features Aretha Franklin singing My Country ‘Tis of Thee and an original work by composer John Williams Air and Simple Gifts performed by Yo Yo Ma, Gabriela Montero, Anthony McGill and Itzhak Perlman. Opening with an invocation by Rev. Rick Warren and including a poetry reading by Elizabeth Alexander, the state ceremony concludes with a benediction by the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery.

This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply."

Looks like CNN will be releasing a DVD-R of the Inauguration via Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/BarackObamaInaugurationDVD

51wig8NCbeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Looks like this may be the best way to get a recording of the piece in the short term. From the Amazon description (bold text added for emphasis):

"On January 20, 2009, the world watched as Barack Obama became the 44th president of the United States. History was made when the first African-American ever-elected president put his hand on Abraham Lincoln’s Bible and took the oath of office.

Watch how it all happened in real time. CNN and The Best Political Team on Television take you moment by moment as a new administration takes the seat of power. See the parade of former Presidents and dignitaries as they are seated on the Presidential Podium, witness the swearing-in of President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden. Watch the final departure of Former President George W. Bush and First Lady Laura Bush from the White House.

The ceremony features Aretha Franklin singing My Country ‘Tis of Thee and an original work by composer John Williams Air and Simple Gifts performed by Yo Yo Ma, Gabriela Montero, Anthony McGill and Itzhak Perlman. Opening with an invocation by Rev. Rick Warren and including a poetry reading by Elizabeth Alexander, the state ceremony concludes with a benediction by the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery.

This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply."

NBCstore.com is selling a regular pressed DVD of the ceremony and the parades and festivities for $20, it's on preorder to ship March 10th. I have a copy on order.

:D I loved that piece...Does anyone know if/when the sheet music will become available??

According to Hal Leonard website...

Glad to see it's actually coming! But it's a long way off..

Edit: This is odd - the release date lists it for August, but the description lists it for Jan. 31st.