Williams to compose new piece for Obama's Inaugural Ceremony (the Air And Simple Gifts thread)

Ollie

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I loved that piece...Does anyone know if/when the sheet music will become available??

According to Hal Leonard website...

Glad to see it's actually coming! But it's a long way off..

Edit: This is odd - the release date lists it for August, but the description lists it for Jan. 31st.

I just checked the HL website and the release date has been changed from August to the January 31st date. Not sure how they got mixed up on that one...

If you know anybody who was there, you can probably spot them in this photo.

I've never seen a panorama of this quality before. I am impressed.

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.p...6648c2b4b06233c

Anyone find Williams in the pic? :D

:D I loved that piece...Does anyone know if/when the sheet music will become available??

According to Hal Leonard website...

Glad to see it's actually coming! But it's a long way off..

Edit: This is odd - the release date lists it for August, but the description lists it for Jan. 31st.

I just checked the HL website and the release date has been changed from August to the January 31st date. Not sure how they got mixed up on that one...

Ah good, I'll be ordering that then!

I couldn't spot Williams, but I also don't know where he was actually sitting during the festivities. He could be obscured by a lamp pole, also. I liked looking for the curiously funny people, like those sleeping or doing strange things with their faces (I think it was too cold for that, if you know what I mean).

I am amazed at how clear the stitching was, so it looks like one giant frozen moment in time, rather than a very good panorama effect. I do some amateur panorama editing myself (with very good software) and it's still not easy.

However, check out this anomaly. I can't upload a photo, so I'll point you to it. Find the big white TV tower that sits directly in front of Mr. Obama's view. Find the ladder on the back of the tower, and the pair of phantom legs to the bottom right of the ladder. WHERE'S THE REST OF THE GUY!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
"Air and Simple Gifts" is now available on iTunes:

http://lists-masterworks.sonybmgemail.com/...35870/273736/0/

asg.jpg

Excellent. Purchased. I already have a great recording, but I have to support artists I feel strongly about and so should the rest of you.

is there mic noises in the first 10 seconds in this itunes version?

No, it's free of the open-mic noises heard in the broadcasts.

AND it's in stereo! (all of the versions I've heard ripped from the broadcasts, TV or on-line, have been mono)

can someone upload it please?

man why is this released only in the US??? meee so saaad :music:

Same here. If a kind patron could send it to me, I would be grateful. I do not have access to iTunes due to computer troubles.

is there mic noises in the first 10 seconds in this itunes version?

I would imagine this is the pre-recorded version. Williams probably planned on releasing it or knew it would be. This was recorded especially for it.

In addition to the audio being available for download off iTunes, you can also purchase the Signature Edition score of the piece from jwpepper.com or halleonard.com

I think it's around $35.

-JCM

Does anyone know if the version iTunes has is the live version or the pre-recorded one?

They're both the same. The pre-recorded one was played durning the ceremony. But there's not sound of audience clapping, if that's what you mean.

Downloaded the iTunes version. Good news: unlike many iTunes tracks this one IS available in 256 bit rate, so make sure you set your preferances to 256 before buying it!

where and how?

Is this an international thing? In the US all iTunes Plus tracks are 256 kbps regardless of your importing preferences, which have nothing to do with downloaded tracks.

• 3 months later...

Should the Concert Works section of the site be amended to state that "2009 - Air and Simple Gifts" is available as an itunes single? Or is it considered unreleased until pressed to CD?

No it should be considered an official release but it should have a note that it's only available thru iTunes.

• 4 months later...

According to the news item on the main page, Williams re-arranged "Air and Simple Gifts" for string orchestra. I'd love to hear this new arrangement, my guess he did something in the vein of his classic string adagios like "Arlington" from JFK, "Epilogue" from The Fury and "Angela's Prayer" from Angela's Ashes.

According to the news item on the main page, Williams re-arranged "Air and Simple Gifts" for string orchestra. I'd love to hear this new arrangement, my guess he did something in the vein of his classic string adagios like "Arlington" from JFK, "Epilogue" from The Fury and "Angela's Prayer" from Angela's Ashes.

Or "Blood Moon" from "Images"

• 6 months later...

I found the concert arrangment! Yay!

It will be interesting to see if Johnny will take an approach like this for Lincoln, though... If that ever gets off the ground.

PS: Sorry for bumping the thread.