Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

JoeinAR

I'm not going to read 5000 posts. Does everyone agree that there's something wrong with the sound of Raiders? I haven't listened to Temple Of Doom or Last Crusade yet.

Alex

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOD and LC both sound magnificent.

I agree with you about Raiders, Alex. This new edition just sounds wrong, and the editing in "Desert Chase" is atrocious. I just ripped my DCC edition and the new tracks from the new release, sequenced them within the DCC tracklist where they're meant to be, and presto, it's all ready to play!

I'm not going to read 5000 posts. Does everyone agree that there's something wrong with the sound of Raiders?.

Alex

Apart from the pitch issues that I can't detect myself ,no. If the music is clear and detailed , a bit of tape hiss does not bother me. Three is tape hiss in plenty of other JW c.d.'s

I just put on TOD and I had to seriously turn down the treble because the sound literally hurt my ears. It's clear to me that the sound engineer who did the mastering is deaf. It's so extremely bright that it's completely out of balance. I've never heard anything like it. Even an amateur can do a better job than this!

Alex - who can't return it because he removed the cellophane

The good is that I didn't purchase the standalone soundtrack of Crystal Skull before. So I'm kinda in a position to consider the Collection Box as a deluxe version of Crystal Skull.

Alex

I listened to a couple of tracks....gah there's this awful treble/bass boost. Won't be getting this for this reason alone!

It's like someone is trying to reproduce the rich and warm yet boomy sound of Bruce Botnick's Goldsmith recordings...and failing miserably.

The only place this sounds good is on iPod earphones.

You guys are overreacting.

TOD sounds pretty damn good for a 24 year old score. I think some of you are expecting pristine recordings. Of course I found SACD to be overrated as well, there really wasn't any improvement that blew me away.

I just put on TOD and I had to seriously turn down the treble because the sound literally hurt my ears. It's clear to me that the sound engineer who did the mastering is deaf. It's so extremely bright that it's completely out of balance. I've never heard anything like it. Even an amateur can do a better job than this!

Alex this is the best comment you can make after waiting 25 years for this music ? Not even slight joy at hearing this unreleased music for the first time ? Man your one anal audiophile.

I listened to a couple of tracks....gah there's this awful treble/bass boost. Won't be getting this for this reason alone!

It's like someone is trying to reproduce the rich and warm yet boomy sound of Bruce Botnick's Goldsmith recordings...and failing miserably.

The only place this sounds good is on iPod earphones.

After 200 pages of everyone (and all external reviews) saying this box set sounds great ,you have these 2 so called "audiophiles" jumping in crapping all over it. You guys should get your head examined or re-adjust your sound systems. If you guys were right someone else would have noticed the "horrible" ToD sound quality

I actually thought that the previously unreleased tracks from The Last Crusade only sounded marginally better than the bootlegs I've had for eight years.

and you,well,I suspect your listening with your 5$ PC speaker system.

Again,what's wrong with Indy Takes Charge ? It sounds fantastic to me ,and the same quality as all of the other tracks.

It's funny .

You have a few people jumping in late the thread suddenly hearing things NOBODY ELSE has reported after 200 pages of discussion (OMG TOD is COMPLETELY out of balance!!! , Raiders is UNLISTENABLE because of the HISS!!!).

And then you have those making claims even people with sub-par hearing can tell apart ( LC BARELY sounds better than the bootleg and the OST!!! )

Even I am willing to concede the pitch problems even if I can't personally hear them,but this is getting ridiculous. BTW Alexcremmers said the same thing about the FSM re-issue of The Accidental Tourist , Drax finds something wrong with just about every release that only he can hear ...

Actually ,you guys strike me like people who bought very expensive sound systems and got them professionally calibrated , just so you can piss on every c.d. that doesn't sound exactly right to in those settings .

Again,what's wrong with Indy Takes Charge ? It sounds fantastic to me ,and the same quality as all of the other tracks.

Something is... off about the entire "Short Round Helps" track. It's especially noticeable when merging it into "Slave Children's Crusade"... and not just the fact that the volume is lower.

Something is... off about the entire "Short Round Helps" track. It's especially noticeable when merging it into "Slave Children's Crusade"... and not just the fact that the volume is lower.

Yeah I agree. It just sounds slightly more muffled than the rest. But then, "Crusade Of The Slave Children" is so clear anyway that you can notice straight away.

I think "British Relief" and "Return To The Village" are slightly like this too......

They're all better than the bootlegs though! :)

about Short Round Helps ...yes there is something odd when the cue starts (maybe it's the pitch I can hear after all) , but once I get into the main body of the cue there doesn't seem to be any muffled details.

about Short Round Helps ...yes there is something odd when the cue starts (maybe it's the pitch I can hear after all) , but once I get into the main body of the cue there doesn't seem to be any muffled details.

I think the slight muffled-ness only applies to the "Short Round Helps Out" part. "Indy Takes Charge" is better I think.

Yea and it's the opposite in Broken Bridge / British Relief... Broken Bridge sounds fine but British Relief is... off

Muffled is a good way to describe

I listened to TOD last night and every time I listen I can't keep myself from smiling, it's so good to have this music after waiting so long for it and the music is truly great.

Quite honestly I can't understand how any JW fan might want to return this set because of sound problems. It's nowhere near as bad as say the ROTJ SE. Actually I think it sounds pretty good. Is it perfect? No, I'm sure the pitch thing is real (I haven't noticed it, and I'm not really sure what you guys mean with pitch, since english is not my first language, I'm guessing is something like tone) but to say things like "it must have been done by def people" or "it almost sound like the bootleg" is pushing it.

Yes they did

I actually thought that the previously unreleased tracks from The Last Crusade only sounded marginally better than the bootlegs I've had for eight years.

And someone mentioned he had already opened it and now couldn't be returned but I don't have time to find it right now.

Yes they did

And someone mentioned he had already opened it and now couldn't be returned but I don't have time to find it right now.

Wojo is clearly deaf. Or an idiot. Probably both.

Yes they did

Wojo is clearly deaf. Or an idiot. Probably both.

I'll say both.

What if he has a great sounding LC boot?

I would like him to share it...Calling him idiot will not help it.

I doubt it's a great sounding boot. I am sure all of the LC boots doesn't have that great of a sound.

It's funny .

You have a few people jumping in late the thread suddenly hearing things NOBODY ELSE has reported after 200 pages of discussion (OMG TOD is COMPLETELY out of balance!!! , Raiders is UNLISTENABLE because of the HISS!!!).

And then you have those making claims even people with sub-par hearing can tell apart ( LC BARELY sounds better than the bootleg and the OST!!! )

Even I am willing to concede the pitch problems even if I can't personally hear them,but this is getting ridiculous. BTW Alexcremmers said the same thing about the FSM re-issue of The Accidental Tourist , Drax finds something wrong with just about every release that only he can hear ...

Actually ,you guys strike me like people who bought very expensive sound systems and got them professionally calibrated , just so you can piss on every c.d. that doesn't sound exactly right to in those settings .

:thumbup:

Best post of the post-release phase.

Drax finds something wrong with just about every release that only he can hear ...

Name 20.

Drax, I don't think I've really even seen you complain about a CD release. You must be thinking about someone else, KM.

Drax finds something wrong with just about every release that only he can hear ...

Name 20.

Drax, I don't think I've really even seen you complain about a CD release. You must be thinking about someone else, KM.

no ,Drax is the one who said Superman the Movie sound quality in the Blue Box is no good.

Name 20.

Actually, I've only said that the FSM release of Superman: The Movie suffers from some DNR tinkering (which doesn't make it unlistenable, just leaves a question mark as to why?), and some of the EMI/Capital Bond re-releases weren't even expanded because apparently they didn't look around hard enough for the master tracks on Moonraker, Octopussy and A View to a Kill. Oh, and Raiders.

Every release?

no ,Drax is the one who said Superman the Movie sound quality in the Blue Box is no good.

How misleadingly blunt of you.

I have the LC boot too, but the Concord version sounds about... hmm, let's say 10 times better! :thumbup:

Which cues are you especially interested in? Dad's Package?

I have the LC boot too, but the Concord version sounds about... hmm, let's say 10 times better! :thumbup:

Which cues are you especially interested in? Dad's Package?

I got that boot then.

It was just critisizing a little the sometimes trigger-happyness of this board to insult....