Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

JoeinAR

What if he has a great sounding LC boot?

I would like him to share it...Calling him idiot will not help it.

I doubt it's a great sounding boot. I am sure all of the LC boots doesn't have that great of a sound.

So that justifies for calling him a deaf idiot? Maybe you should watch Doubt.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally have it :P The booklets are underwhelming indeed ;), but I am more than happy anyway.

I don't understand paying $50 for this when there are people here able to upload it for downloading.

I finally have it :shakehead: The booklets are underwhelming indeed ;) , but I am more than happy anyway.

I don't understand paying $50 for this when there are people here able to upload it for downloading.

Are you effing kidding me?

I listened to the Raiders.

I don't hear the hiss, I am not bothered by the uneven pitch..., but I still can't get over the edited Desert Chase. I hoped, I would even not notice the edit, because I hadn't come back to that track for long and never checked which particular part had beem wiped out. But what I hear is outrageous and takes most of the fun out of listening this cd :( If they had done it smoothly, I would probably go on, but this sound like if someone actually cut down the tape with scissors and simply glued the loose ends in a different place. Horror. ;)

The rest of the album is terrific and I really like the new cues. ^_^ Too bad that DC ruins the overall experience. Thanks John! :shakehead:

I finally have it :) The booklets are underwhelming indeed ;), but I am more than happy anyway.

I am asking this myself ;), but since it's my first legal edition of IJ soundtracks, I was more than willing to take that sacrifice.

I don't hear the hiss,

Then you probably don't hear the unnaturally exaggerated sharpness of the sound either. You can either bless your ears or your bad sound system. Take your pick!

Alex

I can't believe that. It's so obvious they went overboard with some kind of exciter plugin. These plugin effects should be used in subtle doses but here I can clearly hear them working. It's distracting. Perhaps most people are like you, KM, the brighter the sound, the better it is. After all, most people do applaud the "improved" sound, so they clearly hear the meddling. You know there's something wrong if everyone can hear the difference.

I have only one FSM release (THX-1138) and it sounds unnaturally bright too. Perhaps "unnatural" is 'da thing' in soundtrack world.

Alex

Hey guys, i finally got the box and in addition the FSM Superman blue box. The sound quality in both releases is amazing. I don't hear the rumored hiss or pitch problems in the indy box, so for me that doesn't bother if existing. I'm so glad that Last Crusade now has a much better sound quality than the original release.

The booklet in the indy box is beautiful but not that overwhelming, but the blue box book is everything what soundtrack enthusiasts could have dreamed for. Now i really wish that fsm will someday get their hands on the star wars prequels, the complete indy release or the first harry potter films.

I'm completely satisfied with the indy box. As it is no Complete Edition i did never expect extensive liner notes, which will come for sure with a complete release in the future. It's all about expectations, isn't it :shakehead:

I don't hear the hiss, I am not bothered by the uneven pitch..., but I still can't get over the edited Desert Chase. I hoped, I would even not notice the edit, because I hadn't come back to that track for long and never checked which particular part had beem wiped out. But what I hear is outrageous and takes most of the fun out of listening this cd ;) If they had done it smoothly, I would probably go on, but this sound like if someone actually cut down the tape with scissors and simply glued the loose ends in a different place. Horror. :shakehead:

Really i can only notice one edit, the awful one.

It is unbearable, if they only had not used THAT edit it would be listenable...

I can't believe that. It's so obvious they went overboard with some kind of exciter plugin. These plugin effects should be used in subtle doses but here I can clearly hear them working. It's distracting. Perhaps most people are like you, KM, the brighter the sound, the better it is. After all, most people do applaud the "improved" sound, so they clearly hear the meddling. You know there's something wrong if everyone can hear the difference.

Are you listening to the ACTUAL CDs, and not some sort of downloaded mp3 or something? Because if it's the latter, that could certainly explain it. Mark's right, the actual CDs sound find to everyone here (pitch problems aside)

Yes, I'm listening to the actual CDs. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't listen to mp3 and who doesn't use his computer and desktop speakers as a music system.

BTW, how incorrect is the pitch? If it's just a little and you don't have a reference, I can't be much of a problem.

I don't hear the hiss, I am not bothered by the uneven pitch..., but I still can't get over the edited Desert Chase. I hoped, I would even not notice the edit, because I hadn't come back to that track for long and never checked which particular part had beem wiped out. But what I hear is outrageous and takes most of the fun out of listening this cd :) If they had done it smoothly, I would probably go on, but this sound like if someone actually cut down the tape with scissors and simply glued the loose ends in a different place. Horror. ;)

I meant that one. Forgive my exagerration, but I am still so angry... I really thought it might not be that bad... That the transition would be almost unnoticable... But it's not :( I am so disappointed.

I don't hear the hiss,

Then you probably don't hear the unnaturally exaggerated sharpness of the sound either. You can either bless your ears or your bad sound system. Take your pick!

Alex

I'd say that it's because both my ears and sound sys. are bad... This time I don't mind it.

I don't hear the hiss, I am not bothered by the uneven pitch..., but I still can't get over the edited Desert Chase. I hoped, I would even not notice the edit, because I hadn't come back to that track for long and never checked which particular part had beem wiped out. But what I hear is outrageous and takes most of the fun out of listening this cd :) If they had done it smoothly, I would probably go on, but this sound like if someone actually cut down the tape with scissors and simply glued the loose ends in a different place. Horror. ;)

I meant that one. Forgive my exagerration, but I am still so angry... I really thought it might not be that bad... That the transition would be almost unnoticable... But it's not :( I am so disappointed.

you did not exaggerate at all. I can't believe a musical mind like Williams likes it.

you did not exaggerate at all. I can't believe a musical mind like Williams likes it.

Neither do I. I cannot believe anyone may like something like this. Next to Jungle Chase, this is the worst edit-job I have heard in Williams' work. Even the Anakin's Dark Deeds/It can't be edit isn't that terrible, because one won't even notice it, unless knows it.

Yes, I'm listening to the actual CDs. I'm probably the only one here who doesn't listen to mp3 and who doesn't use his computer and desktop speakers as a music system.

BTW, how incorrect is the pitch? If it's just a little and you don't have a reference, I can't be much of a problem.

I'm not listening on desktop speakers. I did rip to WAV and 320k MP3's but I have a top of the line PC soundcard with decent headphones (Grado) that could easily reveal what you hear. To me the WAV files, the 320k MP3's and the c.d. played on my audio amp with the same headphones all sound the same. On my ipod I use Shure canal phones.

Any flaw in the sound will be more easily revealed on good headphones than speakers ,especially one of the magnitude you say. I think it's your expensive speakers that exaggerate the highs ,and you need to equalize your system. They probably make old and muddy recordings sound better than they should but can't handle the newer re-mastered stuff

Any flaw in the sound will be more easily revealed on good headphones than speakers ,especially one of the magnitude you say.

That all depends on your ears, the gear and how well you know your gear.

I think it's your expensive speakers that exaggerate the highs ,and you need to equalize your system. They probably make old and muddy recordings sound better than they should but can't handle the newer re-mastered stuff

You think quite wrong. Expensive quality speakers don't accentuate highs. My speakers are considered to be balanced and accurate. Please feel free to check the reviews, if you don't believe me. I know how my speakers behave for I know them very well. They make old recordings sound 'old', new recordings sound 'new', and some remastered soundtracks sound 'remastered'. If what you said is true (which is ridiculous) then every new recording would suffer from my "exaggerated" tweeters too. It doesn't!

In fact, Grado headphones are known for having slightly accentuated highs. That's why people love them. You know, the brighter, the better. Anyway, I'm sure they sound better then those ol' desktop speakers you used to listen to.

Alex

Well compared to other c.d.'s it doesn't sound exaggerated . It sounds a bit like the Superman Blue Box ,or the TPM UE .Clean ,sharp and crisp ,but not "strident" to the point of being annoying . I'd rather have that than a muddy mix like the leaked version of Raiders that appeared a few weeks before the box set or Return of the Jedi Special Edition

I hear the hiss on Raiders, but I only notice the pitch problems in "The Map Room: Dawn". Otherwise, I listen to it over the the DCC now.

Temple sounds great to me, Last Crusade even better. Until this set I'd listened to the unreleased music either in the film or, very rarely, on awful sounding bootlegs. This is a huge step up.

It's obvious you don't understand a lot of stuff around here.

This has to rank as one of the most riduculous posts on this site.

LISTEN - TO - THE - DCC - DISC - IF - YOU - ARE - SO - BLOODY - IRRITATED!

:blink:

The only hissing I hear is the one from people incredulously laughing at the nitpickers.

Sounds like you're the one who's irritated.

It's obvious you don't understand a lot of stuff around here.

This has to rank as one of the most riduculous posts on this site.

Unless he meant it sarcastically?

If not... :lol:

I don't understand paying $50 for this when there are people here able to upload it for downloading

;)

Your only allowed to make that statement in the " The Dark Knight 2 c.d deluxe edition" thread

I don't understand paying $50 for this when there are people here able to upload it for downloading

;)

Your only allowed to make that statement in the " The Dark Knight 2 c.d deluxe edition" thread

:lol:

I sort of agree with Alex. I have tin ears, and even I can hear that Raiders sounds brighter, but slightly less detailed.

Definitely not less detailed.

All the c.d.'s sound brighter ,that was never into question. But they sound great, not "completely out of balance" or "less detailed"

I do agree about the pitch thing with Alex and it's doesn't mean much if it's little and don't have a reference (specially the ToD unreleased music) .

I got the boxset for Christmas and - a couple of the more obvious errors of judgment (e.g. edited Desert Chase) notwithstanding - I am very much enjoying listening to all this fantastic music, a lot of it for the first time outside the films. I am not sure if this has already been covered in all the discussions about the release, but I thought it interesting (to me, anyway) to compare the London Symphony Orchestra that performed on the original soundtrack of Raiders of the Lost Ark with its current incarnation. Although there are not many musicians that are still with the LSO (as you would expect after more than a quarter of a century), a fair few of the 'old timers' can still be seen plying their trade at the Barbican. They include violinists Robin Brightman, Nigel Broadbent, Colin Renwick and Ian Rhodes, violist Richard Holttum and oboist John Lawley. Gerald Newson, one of the double bass players, retired from the orchestra only a week or so ago while a few others are still associated with the LSO as honorary members (e.g. trumpeter Maurice Murphy, violinist Robert Retallick, cellist Clive Gillinson and the great timpani player Kurt-Hans Goedicke).

Another thing that struck me was how few women were in the LSO in those days! I counted only three (two harpists and a violinist) in the Raiders orchestra, while the current orchestra has about 25 regulars of the fairer sex. And I am assuming that Francis Monkman, who is listed as the synthesiser player, is the same Francis Monkman who wrote the you'd-know-it-if-you-heard-it score to the Bob Hoskins gangster flick The Long Good Friday.

Just my twopence. How cool must it be to be able to tell people down the pub that you played on the soundtrack of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

:P