OK, the year is almost over. Looking back now...

Josh500

was the Indiana Jones boxset the best purchase you made this year?

If not, what was better?

The Dark Knight DVD/OS?

The Indiana Jones 4 DVD/OS?

For me, I gotta say, despite its flaws, Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection WAS the best purchase I made this year. :) When I first read about it, I couldn't believe it. When I read the first reviews and saw pictures of crazy fans actually holding the set, then I started to believe. And the set was certainly the most-discussed topic of this year... I would think it generated even more crazy discussion than the release of Indiana Jones 4 and its soundtrack. What do you think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just learnt that if I waited and didn't buy Indy Box Set from Amazon.com, I could buy it one of the local shops here for much better price... :)

I am glad this year is over soon, it hasn't been too lucky.

Screw Indiana Jones.

The Blue Box has it beat by far.

Yep.

But I prefer The Dark Knight DVD since I already had the previous DVD set of Indiana Jones. And I prefer the IJ Box Set Scores to TDK Soundtrack.

I'm guessing that's what the original post was referring to.

Hmm, excuse my ignorance, but what is the Blue Box?

But I prefer The Dark Knight DVD since I already had the previous DVD set of Indiana Jones. And I prefer the IJ Box Set Scores to TDK Soundtrack.

I just named these titles/products as examples.

Agreed about the Blue Box...Josh don't be stupid you know what it is...if not then where the hell have you been? The Blue Box is the Superman set that FSM released last year (I think?) and it contains proper remastered of Superman The Movie as well as complete versions for Superman II, III, IV and even some music from the Superman Animated TV series by Ron Jones. Well worth the price.

Edit: They made an original pressing that sold out rather quickly....can't remember the set number for it but then they said they would make a second pressing if the first one sold out quick and since it did they have. I managed to get a copy from the second run.

Agreed about the Blue Box...Josh don't be stupid you know what it is...if not then where the hell have you been? The Blue Box is the Superman set that FSM released last year (I think?) and it contains proper remastered of Superman The Movie as well as complete versions for Superman II, III, IV and even some music from the Superman Animated TV series by Ron Jones. Well worth the price.

Ahhh, yes. Well, I don't know, but that completely escaped my notice, somehow. I have the Superman Special Edition (is that how it's called?), and what more great stuff can be included in the box set? The other Superman movies can't claim to have equally great scores as the first one, can they? And this is supposed to be better than the Indy boxset?

:)

Ahhh, yes. Well, I don't know, but that completely escaped my notice, somehow. I have the Superman Special Edition (is that how it's called?), and what more great stuff can be included in the box set? The other Superman movies can't claim to have equally great scores as the first one, can they? And this is supposed to be better than the Indy boxset?

:)

No it's not called Special Edition....you might be thinking of the Rhino Edition. For the FSM Blue Box, as I just stated it contains a proper remastered version of Superman: The Movie, complete editions for Thorne's Superman II and III as well as Courage's Superman IV and also contains music from Superman The Animated Series by Ron Jones and an extra disc that contains unreleased songs and source cues. It's slightly over $100 for the price but it's well worth owning if you're a true Williams/Superman fan. Seriously the FSM version of Superman: The Movie absolutely blows the Rhino Edition away in terms of sound quality. Oh and the set comes with a wonderful booklet too filled with awesome liner notes.

No it's not called Special Edition....you might be thinking of the Rhino Edition. For the FSM Blue Box, as I just stated it contains a proper remastered version of Superman: The Movie, complete editions for Thorne's Superman II and III as well as Courage's Superman IV and also contains music from Superman The Animated Series by Ron Jones and an extra disc that contains unreleased songs and source cues. It's slightly over $100 for the price but it's well worth owning if you're a true Williams/Superman fan. Seriously the FSM version of Superman: The Movie absolutely blows the Rhino Edition away in terms of sound quality. Oh and the set comes with a wonderful booklet too filled with awesome liner notes.

Is that still available?

And yeah, while we're at it, aside from sound quality, what about the music for Superman II, III, IV and the Animated Series itself? Is that even good enough to shell out $120 for?

If it is, I might try to get ahold of it (even if it is through ebay).

The Indy soundtrack collection was my best purchase of the year - by far.

Mine too, although I did not get the Blue Box.

Don't go through ebay you'll be paying more for it there most likely. Yes it's still available through SAE.

http://screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8874

It is worth the $120 price tag, many here who own it (like myself) will say it is worth it.

Wow, FSM really knows how to put together a box set (not that that's news).

All right, that'll very likely be my first (big) purchase of 2009.

...what about the music for Superman II, III, IV and the Animated Series itself? Is that even good enough to shell out $120 for?

Yes. Superman IV, in particular, is a total revelation and has new Williams music!

Neil

Josh,

You won't regret getting the Blue Box, trust me it's worth every penny.

Red,

You should purchase the Blue Box next year too if you can at least before it goes out of print.

Edit: Even Neil helped contributed to the set as well.

The Indy box has the better scores on average, but the Blue Box is a much more quality release. But the Indy box is much more affordable, which is why it's the only one I've gotten.

...what about the music for Superman II, III, IV and the Animated Series itself? Is that even good enough to shell out $120 for?

Yes. Superman IV, in particular, is a total revelation and has new Williams music!

Neil

Does that mean JW composed new music for Superman IV? :)

Or did they just use unused music from the first one?

Even Neil helped contributed to the set as well.

In what capacity?

My photo copying skills were put to the test.

I also kept my mouth shut about it for over 2 years!

Yes.

Neil

The IJ soundtrack collection is tied with the KotCS OST for me.

I would think it generated even more crazy discussion than the release of Indiana Jones 4 and its soundtrack. What do you think?

No way. KotCS generated FAR more discussion than the IJ collection.

Neil

Williams wrote three themes - Lacy's theme, Nuclear Man's theme and Jeremy's theme - and provided concert arrangements of them (all of which are included on the CDs). He also corresponded with Alexander Courage during the scoring process and provided some input. Jeremy's theme was completely undiscovered until recently.

The Indy Box.

Its announcement didn't have quite the same 'wow' reaction as the first LotR CR press release had, given the painfully crap wording it was given, but it opened up that big, almost religious question... could we really see a proper release of ToD?

Nothing approaches that in terms of sheer musical revelation, but other stuff of note includes Doctor Who Season 4 OST, Defiance and the discovery of 2 boots for Poledouris' Breakdown.

Josh,

You won't regret getting the Blue Box, trust me it's worth every penny.

Red,

You should purchase the Blue Box next year too if you can at least before it goes out of print.

Edit: Even Neil helped contributed to the set as well.

I currently have 50 American Dollars. 70 more to go....

The Indy Box.

Its announcement didn't have quite the same 'wow' reaction as the first LotR CR press release had, given the painfully crap wording it was given, but it opened up that big, almost religious question... could we really see a proper release of ToD?

Apparently we couldn't.

The Indy Box.

Apparently we couldn't.

But al least the master tapes are not lost.

Hmm, still don't have the Blue Box, though I certainly want it. So for me, I think it would have to be

Indiana Jones Box Set (first time on this music)

and then maybe tied:

KotCS

QoS

I have not gotten the Indy set yet.

The Superman set was a truly awesome set, which easily beats the Indy set in terms of production quality, whether you prefer one set of scors or the other: all the scores are complete, in chronological order, well edited, well restored, come with alternate and source tracks, and the book is splendid. You cannot beat it.

This year has been even more exceptional than 2007 (when we got Alien).

Elmer Bernstein and Bill Conti were also honored with superb sets of sumptuous scores, and the much demanded Batman-- The Animated Series got a first volume released.

Individual score releases also include highly demanded and "impossible to release" scores, such as Heavy Metal (right after the Superman set, too) and Baby-- Secret of the Lost Legend.

Now, if you consider all and any purchases (you weren't very specific Josh, and included DVDs), without a doubt, my best non-score purchase is a superbly illustrated 1849 edition of Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", which I got in pretty good condition (considering the age) on e-bay for... $9.99! The insured shipping was a bit more than twice as much, so that it all amounted to $35; I was very lucky not have any competition on this one.

The best thing about the score year 2008 was the very weak USD and the stroing EURO during summer. So I could order lots of CDs from screenarchives for almost nothing yiipppiee!!! :P

Worst thing is the weak Aussie Dollar against the US Dollar. Our currency sucks.

I would say the Blue Box is the top release as far as quality goes. The Bernstein Box is next.

Then you add in all the releases from Intrada, LaLaLand, FSM, Varese CD club, Prometheus............and yes the Indy Box is great but could have been much better.

Oh yeah, Michael Matessino mentioned over at FSM that we should start saving up money for 2009. :(

While times are tough right now this is a great time to be a flm score fan.

Oh yeah, Michael Matessino mentioned over at FSM that we should start saving up money for 2009. :(

Indeed... Intrada did suggest there are going to be a lot of great titles released for 2009, many titles people never thought would get released.