Isolated music scores on Fox Blu-rays

Corellian2019

For all the bad trends Fox seems to have with their BD releases (i.e. only carrying over SOME but not all DVD special features for BD editions), I've noticed that possibly the only good thing to emerge from their BD-to-DVD transition is the inclusion of new isolated scores. Like on the Planet of the Apes BD box set and the upcoming "French Connection" releases.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the Apes franchise or their scores for that matter, but nevertheless it was a pleasant surprise to see the first instance of isolated music scores on Blu-ray Discs, and that it went to a notable franchise with tons of fans. And not only did the feature appear on the first film, but in full 5.1 on each and every sequel that followed.

On the other hand, the two French Connection films could hardly be called a "franchise", but it nonetheless received the same treatment as the Apes films: full 5.1 isolated scores on both films for the first time!

Now, with all of that being said, one can only assume what will be the next lucky film(s) from Fox to receive that same feature. I, for one, would love to see individual releases of the first four "Alien" films with 5.1 isolated scores for the first time, although it would be rather redundant for the first two films but definitely not for the last two, even though there's a Complete Score bootleg for "Resurrection". In fact, the only reason I would buy Alien 3 on BD is if it had the isolated score. :blink:

So, who knows? Will anyone hold their breath for such a prospect? Could the isolated score trend even hit Star Wars on BD? Although it'll most likely never happen, but then again never say never.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The French Connection is cool because the music in the film was tracked all over the place. The new isolated score track restores Don Ellis's score to where he spotted the picture. There are also a few source songs included that weren't on the now out-of-print FSM album.

Neil

It won't happen because Williams himself has a contractual obligation to decide whether or not his scores get isolated treatment on DVD/Blu-Rays, and he denies it (as the OST is his ideal vision of the score, apart from the film). Sad, but true.

Imagine if that would actually happen , Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and SW Prequels Blu Ray with ISO scores?

I would have to buy a blue ray player

Indiana Jones and Star Wars are both by Lucasfilm, I really doubt when ever they're released on Blu-Ray they'll get an isolated score. They haven't yet on DVD so why would they on Blu-Ray?

Also just because some Fox Blu-Ray discs have gotten isolated scores doesn't mean all of them will.

I would prefer a re-mastered anamorphic print of that.

There is one, Neil saw it at a theatre if I'm not mistaken, and they've aired it here on TV as well. It's just not on DVD; and unfortunately, it's 16:9.

Yes we have the Universal Hi-Def channel, but I think the print I saw is in it's correct aspect ratio because if it was 16:9 you wouldn't see the black bars. This had the bars as they would appear on a 2:35.1 film shown on a 16:9 film.

I brought it up in another thread quite awhile back but it never went anywhere. I've been hoping Universal will air it again so I can do some comparison.

It won't happen because Williams himself has a contractual obligation to decide whether or not his scores get isolated treatment on DVD/Blu-Rays, and he denies it (as the OST is his ideal vision of the score, apart from the film). Sad, but true.

Ridiculous.

Last year I saw an HD broadcast of 1941 and sadly it was 1.78:1 and the theatrical cut.

Also, don't forget that Cinderella Liberty has an isolated score on it, too.

Neil

Indiana Jones and Star Wars are both by Lucasfilm, I really doubt when ever they're released on Blu-Ray they'll get an isolated score. They haven't yet on DVD so why would they on Blu-Ray?

I don't know. Additional incentive to upgrade, I guess? ;)

Also just because some Fox Blu-Ray discs have gotten isolated scores doesn't mean all of them will.

True, but lately Fox has given their so-called "franchise" films the isolated score treatment on BD. Maybe it could happen for their other franchises...

I remember the days at the Jedi Council Forums (circa 2000) where we'd post our dream editions of the Star Wars saga.

Each would look like this...

- Each film in the saga presented as separate 2-disc sets, which the second disc devoted to retrospective documentaries and archival material

- Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1)

- Dolby Digital 5.1 EX

- DTS 6.1 ES

- Commentary by George Lucas

- Commentary by John Williams

- Isolated Score by John Williams, matched to the film as the composer intended

This was at about the time revolutionary DVD sets like Fight Club and Terminator 2: Judgment Day were released, which made our mouths water at how Lucasfilm would set the bar even higher with its future DVD releases. Disappointed, we were.

He's stupid then. :P

He's stupid then. :(

Not stupid. His mind just wanders a lot.

Yes Superman (WB) and 1941 (Universal) have isolated scores. They were also on very early DVDs

Superman was not a "very early" DVD, it was released in 2001. DVD had been around since 1997. The 1941 iso score was carried over from the Deluxe LD released years earlier, 1995 if memory serves. Witches of Eastwick, on the other hand, was a very early DVD. The E.T. LD with the iso score was 1996.

What I've wanted to know since the dawn of DVDs, is what makes a studio think 'hey, let's isolate the music on this one'. Choices seem so utterly random (outside the usual handful of composers who often put them on and record commentaries).

If this is old news I apologize for wasting space, but if not, then have you guys heard of these 'Star Wars' isolated scores on YouTube?

In particular this segment?

Hopefully some Fox or Sony executive can come across these and have a change of heart when it comes time for the BD releases... :lol:

how did those get the source music for that scene?? I thought it was lost?

I have a ROTJ DVD and a STAR WARS DVD with isolated score. those were done with the soundtrack CDs of course, but that band playing?

What I've wanted to know since the dawn of DVDs, is what makes a studio think 'hey, let's isolate the music on this one'. Choices seem so utterly random (outside the usual handful of composers who often put them on and record commentaries).

I think it depends on the producer of the DVD. People like Nick Redman or Mike Matessino are very sensitive and dedicated to this subject matter.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hmm, this is funny. Apparently the Blu-ray Disc of "Big Trouble in Little China" also has an isolated score, which is weirdly redundant considering the 2CD La-La Land release came out before.

Taking that kind of logic into consideration, I will still be hoping for isolated scores on the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray, since the first two films already have complete score CDs!! :rolleyes:

Hmm, this is funny. Apparently the Blu-ray Disc of "Big Trouble in Little China" also has an isolated score, which is weirdly redundant considering the 2CD La-La Land release came out before.

Taking that kind of logic into consideration, I will still be hoping for isolated scores on the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray, since the first two films already have complete score CDs!! :rolleyes:

I didn't think ALIENS was complete. It's certainly missing the film version of 'Combat Drop'.

Taking that kind of logic into consideration, I will still be hoping for isolated scores on the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray, since the first two films already have complete score CDs!! tongue.gif

I didn't think ALIENS was complete. It's certainly missing the film version of 'Combat Drop'.

There was no film version fo the Combat Drop.

It was a library drum track that was used, and was not composed for the movie. The Aliens Deluxe Edition CD liner notes mentions it I believe.

Taking that kind of logic into consideration, I will still be hoping for isolated scores on the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray, since the first two films already have complete score CDs!! tongue.gif

There was no film version fo the Combat Drop.

It was a library drum track that was used, and was not composed for the movie. The Aliens Deluxe Edition CD liner notes mentions it I believe.

IIRC, all the liner notes say "it was a martial drum track composed by Harry Rabinowitz" but I could be wrong. I think I've argued this before, but composed for movie or not, it's such an iconic piece of music that I think it demands inclusion.

I would not want an isolated score for any of the Star Wars films.

There's no need to hear Williams' music edited and looped and tracked.

Well if you're in to that sort of thing.

With the RCA Special Editions, there's no need for the original trilogy, even with some of the missing Jabba source music.

Given all the anger towards TPM UE I see no need for that as well.

We'll get the prequels eventually, people just need to be patient.

With the RCA Special Editions, there's no need for the original trilogy, even with some of the missing Jabba source music.

But I want that source music! And the reprise of the Imperial March heard at the end of "Yoda and the Force" in the original version of TESB!

But I want that source music! And the reprise of the Imperial March heard at the end of "Yoda and the Force" in the original version of TESB!

Isn't that just an edit though? The SE version is from the original soundtrack album so I'm guessing was the intended cue.

The Imperial March as hear in TESB was tracked from part of the Concert arrangement, then leading into the second half-to-end of the cue on the album.

It's actually pretty easy to recreate in good sound editing software.

• 2 months later...

Warner have released a good few Blu-rays with iso scores copied across from their earlier DVD releases, LA Confidential & Tim Burton's Willy Wonka etc.

What did you think of the disc Charlie? For me Contact is highly underappreciated by most which is a shame as there's some stunning visuals and camerawork (the scene with the girl running towards the bathroom cabinet, when Jodie Foster is rushing from the satellites in the car to base camp and the opening / closing scenes specifically). Narratively the film works well too and it's genuinely well executed. Silvestri's score plays well and it's worth viewing with the isolated score option to fully appreciate some of the cues.

The HD transfer is solid with rich colours and sound pretty good.