51 members have voted

1. 1. Across the Stars

• A - I love it!
    • B - I like it.
    • C - It's OK.
    • D - I don't like it.
    • E - I hate it!

I voted A of course!

I love this piece... I think this is one of JW's best works. So gorgeous, tragic, haunting, emotional, epic. I even bought the Signature Edition score of it, I wanna learn how to play the first violin. It's not too difficult, I think (at least compared to some other JW pieces).

What about you? Do you like it? I know some of you hate AotC, but I think Across the Stars is a wonderful composition.

:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate AotC. It's just that compared to the other 5 movies, AotC seems a bit lacking. The score--what JW did compose for the movie--is good enough, though, IMHO.

I voted A, too. One of the best JW pieces. Would love to hear you playing it! :)

I think it's a decent score on its own, but it just falls flat compared to the other Star Wars score, which I think is the reason for most people who dislike it.

I gave Across the Stars a C in this poll. I'm thinking I might have sold it short, though. I remember playing it a lot when the album came out and I particularly like the bridge section that seems to appear nowhere else in the score proper. Not one of the all-time greats though.

I think it's a decent score on its own, but it just falls flat compared to the other Star Wars score, which I think is the reason for most people who dislike it.

I gave Across the Stars a C in this poll. I'm thinking I might have sold it short, though. I remember playing it a lot when the album came out and I particularly like the bridge section that seems to appear nowhere else in the score proper. Not one of the all-time greats though.

Agreed.

I gave it a "B", I'm feeling generous today. "Across the Stars" is my least favorite Star Wars theme but is not a bad piece of music at all. AOTC is the worst of the Star Wars scores but people are little too harsh on it sometimes. There is some good music in this score.

It's either B+ or A-, and knowing how underrated it is, I gave it the A. It's nowhere near Leia's Theme, but it's among the best theme from the prequels (better than anything introduced in ROTS, which barely had new themes worth mentioning), and it's certainly excellent.

I don't see how people can rave about Fawkes and dislike AOTC, when Fawkes still sounds like a lovely, if rough and hasty, prototype of AOTC. I know people said that when they first heard it, but since then most seem to have forgotten.

Part of the the bridge section is used in some of the dialogue scenes between Padme and Anakin (the track Padme and Anakin I think), it's a bit subtle, but it's quite a nice piece of underscoring.

The love story, if you can call it that, between Anakin and Padme is supposed to be tragic and it needed a tragic theme. Across the Stars does that job. Is it the ultimate JW theme - no - but it gets the job done.

It's a good example of JW's post JP writing. I love the thorough counterpoints and the harmonic shifts in the bridge sections. Theme itself is a bit bland. Still A were it only for orchestration (the harp glissando backed by plucked basses when the tutti theme kicks in still gives me chills).

AOTC is the worst of the Star Wars scores but people are little too harsh on it sometimes.

You don't think by calling it the "worst of the Star Wars scores," you're not being harsh yourself?

Of course, it's my least favorite score of the entire saga too, but it's not a bad score itself (which you seem to be implying by calling it the "worst" of anything).

:)

I don't see how people can rave about Fawkes and dislike AOTC, when Fawkes still sounds like a lovely, if rough and hasty, prototype of AOTC. I know people said that when they first heard it, but since then most seem to have forgotten.

I don't see why people seem to have to put down something else in order to praise something. I love both pieces, just Fawkes the Phoenix slightly more.

And you think FtP is a rusty and hasty prototype? You're kidding, right? ;)

Is it the ultimate JW theme - no - but it gets the job done.

What is the ultimate JW theme, I'd like to know. There is no such thing! There are just great JW themes... and I'm starting to think AtS is one of them.

It's a good example of JW's post JP writing. I love the thorough counterpoints and the harmonic shifts in the bridge sections. Theme itself is a bit bland. Still A were it only for orchestration (the harp glissando backed by plucked basses when the tutti theme kicks in still gives me chills).

I think the theme really shines from 3:42 onward. The orchestration is brilliant here... I love how the horn holds its note at 4:02, and goes straight to the B section. One of my favorite moments.

You don't think by calling it the "worst of the Star Wars scores," you're not being harsh yourself?

Of course, it's my least favorite score of the entire saga too, but it's not a bad score itself (which you seem to be implying by calling it the "worst" of anything).

Semantics, I didn't mean it negatively.

I don't see why people seem to have to put down something else in order to praise something.

That's probably the wisest thing you've ever said. ;)

It's either B+ or A-, and knowing how underrated it is, I gave it the A. It's nowhere near Leia's Theme, but it's among the best theme from the prequels...

Leia's theme is way overrated.

AOTC is such a travesty of a film it's a wonder something as great as the love theme came from it.

B

I like it a lot, it IS pure Star Wars, but the bridge jars. It spoils the listen.

Hmmm, the bridge is supposed to represent the political turmoil in the movie, I guess. It doesn't spoil the listen for me... in fact, it makes me anticipate the return of the love theme even more.

;)

Leia's theme is way overrated.

Is it? I always thought Across the Stars was underrated. :)

A

I absolutely love it. I love the contrast between the simplicity of the melody itself, against the shifting backgroud and 12/8 (I think) time. Also love the B theme, and the way it segues into the first melody.

Leia's theme isn't overrated, it's underrated.

No. It's true, I agree with him on both counts.

And you think FtP is a rusty and hasty prototype? You're kidding, right? ;)

It's a nice theme, it works very well inside the score, but it's not as fleshed-out as your typical JW theme, including AtS.

A

I absolutely love it. I love the contrast between the simplicity of the melody itself, against the shifting backgroud and 12/8 (I think) time. Also love the B theme, and the way it segues into the first melody.

Is it 12/8? :D Wow...

I think the horn solo of the B-section is simply breathtaking.

A

Is it 12/8? :D Wow...

12/8 is a lot easier than writing nonstop triplets. Bach got away with writing implied triplets (for example, Prelude #6 in the first book of the Well-Tempered Clavier), but that was because the intent was very clear. In a modern orchestral score you really need to make everything explicit.

A very strong B. It's a great theme, and is probably the thing that bumps AOTC up from being very mediocre to pretty good.

12/8 is a lot easier than writing nonstop triplets. Bach got away with writing implied triplets (for example, Prelude #6 in the first book of the Well-Tempered Clavier), but that was because the intent was very clear. In a modern orchestral score you really need to make everything explicit.

I think I have to get myself the written music!

A very strong B. It's a great theme, and is probably the thing that bumps AOTC up from being very mediocre to pretty good.

Yes, this is clearly the highlight of the score... hell, of the entire movie!

Other things I like about AotC are the first 4:30 minutes of Zam the Assassin, Jango's Escape, and how the Imperial March segues into the Love Theme in Confrontation. Very cool, even though I understand that last wasn't intended by JW at first.

:D

It's a great theme, and is probably the thing that bumps AOTC up from being very mediocre to pretty good.

If a movie sucks, for me the score can not bump it up that much. When the plot, dialogue, and acting are as bad as they are in AOTC, the score can't possibly save it.

...how the Imperial March segues into the Love Theme in Confrontation.

What is Confrontation? Are you talking about the very end when the clones are taking off from Coruscant and then it cuts to Anakin and Padme's wedding?

I'm sick of every theme in SW being compared to Leia's theme. It's in my bottom 3 themes from the SW movies.

But if a movie sucks, I hope that wouldn't drago down an otherwise excellent score for you. I mean, Cutthroat Island is pretty mundane B-grade popcorn drek (though I kinda like it just for that reason), but its score is totally awesome. But the score doesn't make the movie better.

Otherwise, I also like Across the Stars. It's not as good a love theme as some others he has written, but for a love theme that sounds vaguely similar to The Imperial March in sections, it's quite effective. It just can't make the painfully awkward love scenes in that movie any better.

I always get hell for this here, but I usually have no interest in a film score if I didn't like the movie. In fact, there are few film scores that I would go out of my way to purchase. There are probably a ton of great Williams scores that I never heard because I haven't seen the actual film, and if I try to listen to a score without seeing the movie I have a hard time liking it (the exceptions have been the SW prequels and LOTR). I think it's because I have such a short attention span I need lyrics or visuals to keep me interested.

One of my exceptions to my rule is TPM. I hate the film but it's probably my second favorite SW score. I like the score to AOTC much more than the movie itself too.

It's a great theme, and is probably the thing that bumps AOTC up from being very mediocre to pretty good.

If a movie sucks, for me the score can not bump it up that much. When the plot, dialogue, and acting are as bad as they are in AOTC, the score can't possibly save it.

I was talking about the score, not the film. The movie is terrible, almost irredeemable.

I always get hell for this here, but I usually have no interest in a film score if I didn't like the movie.

I have more of a problem with the fact that I had to spend a hundred bucks this weekend because you infested my dog's fur. Jerk!

I always get hell for this here, but I usually have no interest in a film score if I didn't like the movie. In fact, there are few film scores that I would go out of my way to purchase. There are probably a ton of great Williams scores that I never heard because I haven't seen the actual film, and if I try to listen to a score without seeing the movie I have a hard time liking it (the exceptions have been the SW prequels and LOTR). I think it's because I have such a short attention span I need lyrics or visuals to keep me interested.

That short of an attention span? What are you, seven? :P

For me, if a movie is really bad, I'm always interested to see/hear what great composers like JW or JG does with the material at hand...

On the other hand, I wouldn't go see bad movies scored by Hans Zimmer.

The bright spot in an otherwise utterly forgettable score.

It's always black or white with you, isn't it? No middle ground...

It's not as good a love theme as some others he has written, but for a love theme that sounds vaguely similar to The Imperial March in sections, it's quite effective.

Has anyone noticed that the structure of AtS is eerily similar to Luke Skywalker's Theme? I read it on Wikipedia thinking yeah right, until I listened to the piece again and thought Wait a second!

Strange, but I never compared it to the Star Wars Main Title. Always with Imperial March.

What is Confrontation?

Confrontation with Count Dooku, yes.

I just realized what's so fantastic about this piece! It's the B-section. Whenever it plays, I get goosebumps.

BTW, at 2:02, when the B-section starts, the violins play the main melody. On the second note, JW does something that has amazed and impressed me for some time. I can't figure out which instruments are playing that note in the background, but it gives that moment an indescribably tragic, momentous, weighty feeling... very brief, but such a great JW touch.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Are those brass instruments? Can somebody tell me? (I seem to remember Johann Strauss using the same technique in some of his waltzes, like Kaiserwalzer and Donauwalzer).

:P

I just looked at the music and yes, it is 12/8, with only a couple time changes in it. This is the way Williams chose to facilitate the implied triplets Henry was talking about, and have it make sense structurally. Each little backing motif (at the beginning) is four triplets, three the same and then a fourth changed (played on the harp at first). So 12/8 works best to make the harmonic changes work well within measures.

Josh: Not exactly sure what aspect you are taking about at that moment, but what is going on orchestrationaly there is the four horns hold out the harmony, while the trombone, bass trombone and tuba play an eighth note with an accent, and the timpani plays a dotted quarter note with them. This is what lends weight to that moment. Williams uses a large part of the brass section (all in lower registers) as sort of a percussion instrument, helping the timpani. With the combination, you get the suddeness of the timpani, with the hit held out slightly longer by the brass. Really is a nice effect.

Half my film score collection is from films I haven't seen. Who'd want to watch all that crap Goldsmith scored?

Oh I at least make an attempt to watch the films I have soundtracks for. I won't go out of my way to rent the films but if they are playing on TV I'll give them a view.

I buy them for the music, I could care less about the film. It just so happens that some of them go with movies I like. When i listen to them I'm listening to the music on it's own and not associating it with the movie / TV show.

Josh: Not exactly sure what aspect you are taking about at that moment, but what is going on orchestrationaly there is the four horns hold out the harmony, while the trombone, bass trombone and tuba play an eighth note with an accent, and the timpani plays a dotted quarter note with them. This is what lends weight to that moment. Williams uses a large part of the brass section (all in lower registers) as sort of a percussion instrument, helping the timpani. With the combination, you get the suddeness of the timpani, with the hit held out slightly longer by the brass. Really is a nice effect.

That's exactly what I was talking about! Thanks.

If you're familiar with the Emperor Waltz (the entire piece), Johann Strauss used the same effect over 100 years ago. :P

A. A wonderful theme, and one of Williams' greatest thematic concert pieces. It's also used very well in RotS, where it's given more of a tragic edge.

:thumbup:

What is the ultimate JW theme, I'd like to know.

We're trying to work on it. Some of us, at least. A little more participation would be nice.

I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it!

Half my film score collection is from films I haven't seen. Who'd want to watch all that crap Goldsmith scored?

I won't go out of my way to rent the films but if they are playing on TV I'll give them a view.

Yeah, there's that option.