WSJ: Alexandre Desplat discusses 'Benjamin Button' film score

Hlao-roo

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123007175014931315.html

Some film scores can lose their magic when heard without their accompanying movies. But that doesn't occur when you hear Mr. Desplat's "Button" score, which is available as part of a two-CD package on the Concord label. (One disc is his music, the other incidental period jazz and pop pieces that appear in the film.) The sheer loveliness of the music is a primary reason, of course. But there are others: For one, Mr. Desplat wrote complete compositions for the film, not mere snippets that fit the sequence to the second; every one of his 23 pieces, which range from 90 seconds or so to more than four minutes, has a beginning, a middle and an end.

Mr. Desplat recorded performances of the entire orchestra playing at the same time, which he said is becoming a less-common practice in Hollywood. "Everything here is live. Musicians want to feel the emotion of the music. They want to be surrounded by sound."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah,that's it...

now you get a cue like "Alone at Night" ...that is the kind of cue that shows real promise for this composer.There is moments of real beauty in this score.

the one I'm thinking of is called Aquarium
I thought it was Carnival Of The Animals. Malick used it in Days Of Heaven. Fantastic piece.

Actually it's the movement "Aquarium" from "Carnival of the Animals" :thumbup: Just for completeness's sake.

I'm glad to see another studio streaming music - it's by far the best way of allowing previews before buying the score.

I think Button will win. Probably good movie, respected composer with a foreign name, and a very traditional sounding score. It has everything.

the one I'm thinking of is called Aquarium
I thought it was Carnival Of The Animals. Malick used it in Days Of Heaven. Fantastic piece.

Actually it's the movement "Aquarium" from "Carnival of the Animals" ROTFLMAO Just for completeness's sake.

Pretty surprised Carnival of the Animals isn't better known round here. The Aquariam was used in other trailers, too.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123007175014931315.html

Mr. Desplat recorded performances of the entire orchestra playing at the same time, which he said is becoming a less-common practice in Hollywood. "Everything here is live. Musicians want to feel the emotion of the music. They want to be surrounded by sound."

OMG STOP THE PRESS AN ENTIRE ORCHESTRA IN ONE ROOM. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Alexandre Desplat, who is enjoying a fair amount of press in the mainstream media, talks with Alex Cohen about his Benjamin Button score in an interview that aired today on NPR's Day to Day. Desplat reiterates his philosophy of scoring, which emphasizes a score's subservience to its picture.

OMG he must be the next John williams make room michael giacchino.

A score that belongs among the Hollywood classics? As fine as it is technically and it may serve the picture well (haven't seen it - going this weekend) I highly doubt that this score will be thought of as a classic or be as memorable as the genuine classics that came before it.

-Erik-

The love themes in particular are brilliant highlights. The one for Benjamin and Daisy as well as the one for Benjamin and the swimmer (whose name I forget).

I am also delightfully surprised by this score. I have never heard any of Desplats' music before (at least not that I know of... perhaps at a movie, not sure what else he's done), but this is a very pleasant listen to on cd. I am still looking for the 2CD Concorde release, because I would like to hear how he feels the period pieces and incidental music coincide with the score.

I have listened to this around 3-4 times now in it's entirety and has been the only thing I've listened to this week (besides Jason Mraz's new cd which is mind-blowingly awesome).

I highly recommend this.

Saw the film today. Truly captivating and moving. The scene where BB leaves home to go to sea when his theme kicks in really moved me. Also when Daisy and BB look at themselves in her dance studio mirror very moving as well with the score.

I'm not a fan of Desplat and consequently this score isn't doing much for me. Some very nice cues, but as a listening experience it rarely seems to attract my attention beyond 'wallpaper'.

I'll have to see the film before giving final judgement on it thought.