Best John Williams Release of the Year

indy4

Best John Williams Release of the Year  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Best John Williams Release of the Year

• The Blue Box (ONLY the remastered Superman: The Movie and the new themes from Superman IV)
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • Cinderella Liberty
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (OST)
    • How To Steal A Million / Bachelor Flat
    • The Duo Concertante

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 12 minute chamber work can have more music than an entire film score. And in this case, in my opinion, it does.

But it's so naive to expect people here to vote for something played by only a violin and a viola and not even hummable.

Of course, should the Beethoven String Quartet 14 or Quatuor pour la Fin du Temps be placed in the poll, the result would be exactly the same.

A 12 minute chamber work can have more music than an entire film score. And in this case, in my opinion, it does.

But it's so naive to expect people here to vote for something played by only a violin and a viola and not even hummable.

Of course, should the Beethoven String Quartet 14 or Quatuor pour la Fin du Temps be placed in the poll, the result would be exactly the same.

It's also naive to assume everyone here doesn't apprciate Williams' concert pieces.

But tastes on this board have very little to do with quality.

Well, lucky for us then that you are here to inform us of the true quality of music. I wish I knew what quality was, but all I have is taste, which is unfortunately subjective. Can you develop quality receptors, or is it something you're born with?

But tastes on this board have very little to do with quality.

Well, lucky for us then that you are here to inform us of the true quality of music. I wish I knew what quality was, but all I have is taste, which is unfortunately subjective. Can you develop quality receptors, or is it something you're born with?

I was replying to Mark's post, if you take a look at who's got the truth here.

this popcorn smiley should be erased totally, it is the most annoying thing on this board. scissorhand is of course right, i pity everyone who cant see that .. i am not as calm as him and not as mature as him i will scream it out loud for god sakes... STUPID PLEBS IS RULING THIS BOARD!

this popcorn smiley should be erased totally, it is the most annoying thing on this board. scissorhand is of course right, i pity everyone who cant see that .. i am not as calm as him and not as mature as him i will scream it out loud for god sakes... STUPID PLEBS IS RULING THIS BOARD!

:lol:

:lol:

Neil

The recent poll about Williams' greatest themes had dull and totally predictable results. It's the kind of results you would expect if you asked anyone on the street a top 10 JW theme list by showing them just the famous ones. THis, of all places, should be the place where people would look beyond JW's more popular scores (which are great, don't get me wrong) and actually have eclectic tastes regarding his musical output. It's Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Superman/Harry Potter fan.net. It's not a matter of recognizing quality (which can be found no doubt in his more popular scores), but a matter of open mindeness regarding a composer we all love.

The recent poll about Williams' greatest themes had dull and totally predictable results. It's the kind of results you would expect if you asked anyone on the street a top 10 JW theme list by showing them just the famous ones. THis, of all places, should be the place where people would look beyond JW's more popular scores (which are great, don't get me wrong) and actually have eclectic tastes regarding his musical output. It's Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Superman/Harry Potter fan.net. It's not a matter of recognizing quality (which can be found no doubt in his more popular scores), but a matter of open mindeness regarding a composer we all love.

I know what you mean, but if you read back on the lists, most people had a list that consisted of half of the famous ones, half of the lesser known works. The only themes that JWFan as a whole agrees on are the popular ones, but almost everybody on this board has a lot of lesser known themes that they would call one of their favorites. We just can't agree on them. I may be wrong, but I would be willing to guess that half of the votes John counted were for lesser known themes, they were just more divided, and that's why none of the themes won.

TOD was the best JW release of this year; I didn't get to listen to "The Duo Concertante" and I'm almost 100% sure that I wouldn't like it more than TOD; I sometimes download music that I can still buy in a store (it usually costs more than twice the price due to currency differences between Brazil and USA or even the triple if we're talking about Europe).

Am I one of the plebs???

Yes, there's a whole pile of lesser known themes that only got one or two votes. And some major ones too.

Maybe they're the most popular and most famous because they're the best? Even so, I've got more ideas along those lines flying around in my head for when the current tournament's done. Notice how I said "current"? The end of this tournament might not be the end of it all...

Yes like I mentioned in the thread, I could have predicted the final results in my sleep.