JWFan Thematic Tournament- Round 1-3

John Crichton

Round 1- #7 vs. #10  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite:

• Theme from Jurassic Park
    • Han Solo and the Princess

I don't really like JP the film much. Whenever I sit down to watch it, I always get about ten minutes in and then skip to the dinosaur-eating-people bits. I think that's probably a window into why I much prefer THE LOST WORLD.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about the films? Were talkin' music here!

Don't tell me you guys actually put yourselves through the agony of watching this stuff?

Well, actually I did see JP a while back. Sure, it was fine. But the music...

No need for a wink. Malcolm and Kelly clearly have a troubled relationship. Luckily, thanks to the gruelling and horrifying experience of being chased by carnivorous monsters, he learns to appreciate his daughter's wonderful gymnastics skills!

It's nearly the same for the movies actually. There's not a scene wasted in Jaws, while Jurassic Park sort of wanders around, not knowing whether it's a thriller, a science-fiction, or an adventure movie.

I don't take as a lack of focus, but rather an extremely well crafted and varied film.

Yes, and while Jaws has a very strong cast that doesn't rely on the shark to keep the story going, JP needs the dinosaurs more than the cast.

The characters in JP are written deeper than the characters of Jaws. Though acting in Jaws is better.

I prefer JP to Jaws, for both film and score.

JP was "dumbed" down from the novel to get it on screen. The only character that had any interesting qualities to him is Malcom. The rest are just hollow shells to fill out the movie.

But the characters all undergo some sort of development throughout the course of the film, for example, Alan goes from hating kids to liking them. None of the characters in Jaws are changed in anyway by the end of the film/end of their lives.

But the characters all undergo some sort of development throughout the course of the film, for example, Alan goes from hating kids to liking them. None of the characters in Jaws are changed in anyway by the end of the film/end of their lives.

Yeah, Brody isn't changed at all at the end of Jaws.

Seriously, stick with watching Indiana Jones movies.

Neil

Comedy gold.

I cannot find the right picture of McQueen bitch-slapping Ali McGraw. For shame.

Okay, the characters in Jaws have undergone some development by the end of the film, I was exaggerating there. But it was not to the same extent as those of JP.

The characters in JP are written deeper than the characters of Jaws.

We're talking about the film, not the book. The book Jurassic Park has good, developed characters, as far as I remember. The film Jurassic Park... did that have characters?

Yes, that is what I assumed. But still, your "#1" theme? Nothing beats it? Not even the "Orca Theme"?

The Orca theme?

Is that a running gag around here? It's a great theme, but certainly not on the same level as Theme from Jurassic Park or Star Wars Main Title!

It basically only plays in the Jaws End Credits.

We're talking about the film, not the book. The book Jurassic Park has good, developed characters, as far as I remember. The film Jurassic Park... did that have characters?

Was there a movie?

Oh wait, there must have been, because I am listening to the score right now.

Good score, by the way. Worth looking into...

Yes, that is what I assumed. But still, your "#1" theme? Nothing beats it? Not even the "Orca Theme"?

The Orca theme?

Is that a running gag around here? It's a great theme, but certainly not on the same level as Theme from Jurassic Park or Star Wars Main Title!

It basically only plays in the Jaws End Credits.

Incorrect.

It's heard in the following:

Out to Sea

Man Against Beast

The Great Shark Chase

Three Barrels Under

Between Attacks

The Shark Cage Fugue

Blown to Bits

End Titles

That's a pretty fair amount of tracks.

It's the movie's B-theme really.

Wait...so what's the theme I mentioned a few posts back? I always thought that the End Titles theme was Amity Island's theme.

It's at 3:51 of "Man Against Beast."

Wait...so what's the theme I mentioned a few posts back? I always thought that the End Titles theme was Amity Island's theme.

That's just a chase motif sort of based on Shark Chase Fugue or Out to Sea

The Orca theme is the End Credits

0.21 of Blown to Bits 25th Anniversary release

1.21 of Main Titles original OST

0.12 of Out to Sea original OST

Don't know what it plays against in the film. Might be a B-section of the Orca theme. You can hear both at the start of Out to Sea.

indy4, allow me to post a somewhat definitive list of Jaws themes. Please note that I have no idea what most of these motivs represent, but they do exist.Anyone who knows more than I do can feel free to add or subtract. ( Whoah, when I place the Disk in my computer, it lists the Track titles from the original album. How odd.)

Jaws Theme - Come on, I do not have to say anything about this one

Orca Theme - Can be heard in "Blown to Bits" ( it features one of the most "clear" variations of the Orca Theme) around 00:21 to 00:32

Some kind of motiv - The notes that start "Shark Cage Fugue". It can also be clearly heard in "Man Against Beast" starting at 3:51, among other Tracks if I recall

Seafaring theme? - Heard most prominently in "Shark Cage Fugue", and is given a wonderful, intense variation in "Blown to Bits".

Some other motiv - One can hear it around 00:19 to 00:30 in "Out to Sea"

There might be one or two that I forgot about, but there you go.

EDIT: I added some more specifics, as well as another motiv of some sort

Shark Theme A :the familiar 2 note motif

Shark Theme B : sweeping theme heard at 0.54 of Man Against Beast and the Main Title of the original OST (IMO the most awesome of the Jaws themes)

Shark Cage Fugue Theme:mainly heard in Man Against Beast and Preparing the Cage

Orca Theme:mainly the end Credits and a few other quotes

Sea Faring Themes:

Promenade

Out to Sea

One Barrel Chase (Great Shark Chase)

end of Man Against Beast

Sea Faring Fanfare:opening of The Shark Cage fugue and a few other places

Orca Theme - Can be heard in "Blown to Bits" ( it features one of the most "clear" variations of the Orca Theme) around 00:21 to 00:32

Oh, that theme? Sorry, nothing special for me. :lol:

Oh, that theme? Sorry, nothing special for me. :rolleyes:

And you call yourself a John Williams fan....

You know, I used to not like Quint, and solely because of that scene where he gives that chilling anecdote. Why? Because I could not hear what he was saying, and the channel I watched it on did not have Closed Captioning. I just could not understand why they all had such serious faces when they were laughing and showing battle scars a minute earlier. And then I recently re-watched it on a channel that featured Closed Captioning, and my appreciation for the film skyrocketed.

Quint is more interesting than everyone combined in JP.

I never said the characters of JP are more interesting than those of Jaws.