• 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 stars, one of my favorite and earlier score purchases.... though I haven't seen the film in AGES

Lonzoe go back to whatever hole you crawled out of from please.

Most of us here don't give a damn if you have been here a year, you're out of line.

Edit: Yes this is Ricard's site.

And take TheListener with you

Do they wear intimidating sunglasses and speak in an unaturally clipped accent?

I'm 100% intimidating.

And to get this back on topic. The Batman album is very good, I just don't like the music as heard in the film.

Neil

A little bit of both actually. The film mix has never sounded good to me, and there is just too much music in that movie that it annoys after awhile. The album is entertaining though.

Neil

Danny Elfman mentioned in interviews, I believe, that the recording engineers (?) abused his score, such as allowing channels to suddenly disappear. Anyone who knows more than I do can elaborate or correct me.

Danny Elfman mentioned in interviews, I believe, that the recording engineers (?) abused his score, such as allowing channels to suddenly disappear. Anyone who knows more than I do can elaborate or correct me.

You're right. The recording engineers screwed up - Elfman claims purposefully - the recording of his score such that you lose whole sections of the orchestra and others all of a sudden come out of no where, which is really apparent on the soundtrack recording. Listen to the OMPS and then listen to the Cincinnati Pops recording of some of the Batman score and you'll hear what he means. The recording engineers for the OMPS butchered it.

A little bit of both actually. The film mix has never sounded good to me, and there is just too much music in that movie that it annoys after awhile. The album is entertaining though.

Neil

I suppose I could see where one might get there with all of the music, but I enjoy it all. If I could make only one change to the album, though, it would simply be to restore the existing cuts to their complete form. That statement of the Batman theme where he first confronts Jack on the catwalk is just awesome, and I'm rather disappointed that it was edited out of "First Confrontation."

You're right. The recording engineers screwed up - Elfman claims purposefully - the recording of his score such that you lose whole sections of the orchestra and others all of a sudden come out of no where, which is really apparent on the soundtrack recording. Listen to the OMPS and then listen to the Cincinnati Pops recording of some of the Batman score and you'll hear what he means. The recording engineers for the OMPS butchered it.

:P Why would they do that?

I do not really like "The Bat Cave" except for the final seconds, which is why I gave the score a 4.5. On a similar subject, does anyone know why Danny Elfman's album releases are usually unbearably short. Is it because of re-use fees, or what?

EDIT: Perhaps they were paid by Micah Rubenstein, chinaismine....

Could you locate the exact source on that? I'd be interested in reading that.

Neil

I do not really like "The Bat Cave" except for the final seconds, which is why I gave the score a 4.5. On a similar subject, does anyone know why Danny Elfman's album releases are usually unbearably short. Is it because of re-use fees, or what?

I quite like "The Bat Cave"; it works wonderfully coming out of "Descent Into Mystery." I used to not like it as much except for the (indeed) cool ending, but when I started to really listen to it and see what it was doing, I enjoyed it more and more.

As far as length goes, I would imagine that the tendency would be that his earlier albums would've been shorter as opposed to his recent albums, which, while not perfect, are generally in the vicinity of a healthy hour-long duration.

Only like 2 are 30 minutes. Beetlejuice and Proof Of Life for me. Maybe about 3 are 40 minutes. The rest are a good 50 mins+

Danny Elfman albums that I own in a 30-40 minute or so timespan (excluding "Bonus Tracks" like "With These Hands" in "Edward Scissorhands"):

Dick Tracy

Dolores Claiborne

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Milk

Big Fish

Edward Scissorhands

I am sure there are more, but I do not really have much of his work from the 1990's. I believe Danny Elfman's longest score release was "Sleepy Hollow", which is about 65 minutes or so. I have not checked in a while, though. However, I will say that short Danny Elfman albums tend to have better score representation than John Williams' short albums.

40 minutes is plenty of music to enjoy.

That totally depends on the music and how much was left off of the release. Case in point: the Temple of Doom OST.

There's a big difference between wanting every single note and wanting at least half the the music written for the film. With Concord's release of ToD, we got more than 65 minutes of unreleased music. And that's not even all of it.

There's a big difference between wanting every single note and wanting at least half the the music written for the film. With Concord's release of ToD, we got more than 65 minutes of unreleased music. And that's not even all of it.

Well with me, a score release suffices. I would have been perfectly happy with re-issues.

It's not about getting every single note as much as it is about getting your money's worth. If you're happy to buy multiple releases then that's your perogative, but I would rather have a single CD (or set) that contains the appropriate amount of music for how much is actually in the movie (if there's a lot of music, why only put 40 minutes into a CD). Going back to TOD, you have to remember that for a very long time that aggravatingly short OST was the only officially released music for the entire film. It wasn't until 2008 that it was expanded at all.

No we didn't. We got 46 minutes. And 40 more remain unreleased.

Well that's the thing, the Temple Of Doom OST was not aggravatingly short to me.

Yeah, you're alone on that one.

I suppose. But here it's not about JW, it's about the JWFans :lol:

I got bored today and tried to participate over at the HZ Forum, but that place has very little dedicated members. You can't engage in discussion or debate. I wouldn't be here if there weren't people I could come back to.

I suppose. But here it's not about JW, it's about the JWFans :lol:

I got bored today and tried to participate over at the HZ Forum, but that place has very little dedicated members. You can't engage in discussion or debate. I wouldn't be here if there weren't people I could come back to.

Well, we're honored by your presence, Kora.

:beerchug:

:lol: Alan

I see you used purple crayon..... :P

50 to 60 minutes is fine by me as far as CD lengths go. However if you give me everything I won't complain and there are some scores that deserve to have all the music available.

50 to 60 minutes is fine by me as far as CD lengths go. However if you give me everything I won't complain and there are some scores that deserve to have all the music available.

Yeah this better describes how I feel. If a score gets a short release though, I'm not gonna complain. I'll just enjoy what's there.