What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

If you want to know what's really lighting my fire, that'd be starting 3:48 and on of "Big Jolt," but it really delivers at 4:07. Of course, those fanfares at the end would be nothing without the brilliant buildup, so you should definitely start listening at 3:48.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I listened to it again, and my opinion did not really change. I think it is safe to assume that I will never appreciate this score as much as I do "Jaws". With that being said... I think I will listen to the Second Disk of "Star Wars" next. Good night, people.

Going through Williams' The Five Sacred Trees from last year's Chicago concert. I'm fully prepared now to call the first movement some of Williams' best work.

Schindler's List:

Another beautiful score. It's easily the worst of JW's Oscar winning scores, but it is not bad in any way. I don't quite take this score as many here do--it's good, but that's about it, for me. To be honest, I would have preferred JP to win the Oscar (actually, Elfman's Nightmare Before Christmas). Still a good score, and definitely a worthy addition to my John Williams collection. "Auschwitz-Birkenau" is especially haunting. 3.75/5 stars

Schindler's List is better than Fiddler On The Roof. One of JW's best score.

Hmmm I haven't posted in this thread in a while. Recently I've listened to:

James Horner - Star Trek 2 and 3: Good stuff, though I had forgotten how closely the Klingon music in ST3 is a ripoff of Combat Drop from Aliens

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would! There is good music here, though since I haven't seen the film yet it doesn't have the impact it should. I really need to find time to see this flick

The Dark Knight 2CD Deluxe Edition: Mostly boring, though the second disc is way better than the first. I don't get why this score is so loved.

James Horner - The Spiderwick Chronicles: I was bored by it, nothing memorable here

Danny Elfman - Wanted - I liked it. I actually really like the opening song too

David ARnold - ID4 2CD complete: One of my favorite scores of all time. Also, last night I was listening to a rear channel rip of the end of the movie... I had forgotten how much music is in there that's never been bootlegged! I want a legit complete release of this score so badly!

Star Trek 2 and 3: Good stuff, though I had forgotten how closely the Klingon music in ST3 is a ripoff of Combat Drop from Aliens

Actually you have it backwards. Aliens came out in 1986, ST III was 1984. :cool:

Schindler's List:

Another beautiful score. It's easily the worst of JW's Oscar winning scores, but it is not bad in any way. I don't quite take this score as many here do--it's good, but that's about it, for me. To be honest, I would have preferred JP to win the Oscar (actually, Elfman's Nightmare Before Christmas). Still a good score, and definitely a worthy addition to my John Williams collection. "Auschwitz-Birkenau" is especially haunting. 3.75/5 stars

Schindler's List is better than Fiddler On The Roof. One of JW's best score.

Bah, you know what I mean.

Star Trek 2 and 3: Good stuff, though I had forgotten how closely the Klingon music in ST3 is a ripoff of Combat Drop from Aliens

Actually you have it backwards. Aliens came out in 1986, ST III was 1984. :cool:

Oh right....... LOL! No wonder Combat Drop wasn't included on the Aliens OST then. He was probably like "well it wasn't used in the film and if I don't put it on the OST no one will know how lazy I was with that cue!" ;)

Speaking of Aliens, I've seen a 2CD boot making the rounds.... what can it possibly contain that isn't on the Varese Deluxe Edition??

I quite like "Fate" from the samples. Though I did not listen to the others.

"Success Montage" is the best cue.

Crimson Tide:

It's pretty good. Standard Zimmer sound, so I enjoyed it. However, I don't see myself going back to it very often. 3/5 stars

Speaking of Aliens, I've seen a 2CD boot making the rounds.... what can it possibly contain that isn't on the Varese Deluxe Edition??

Off the top of my head, it has an extended version of the main titles, an alternate version of the end titles, and a few other alternate cues.

Yea one of my favorites too!

There's no good quality version of that boot, just the hissy one right?

A good quality one has finally surfaced a year or so ago, I'm surprised you don't have it. Anyways I sent you a PM.

I was listening to the complete K-19 ost by Klaus Badelt.

I like this very much, a great and powerful soundtrack!! there is this cue called Capain Alexi Vostricov (or sth like that) on the original album, the Brass hymn sends shivers down my spine! - sounds like from a Mahler Symphony, do you guys know it you should def give it ag try!

Off the top of my head, it has an extended version of the main titles, an alternate version of the end titles, and a few other alternate cues.

Are they any good?

Why would Varese put percussion only tracks on their legit CD if these extra alternates existed?

Oh right....... LOL! No wonder Combat Drop wasn't included on the Aliens OST then. He was probably like "well it wasn't used in the film and if I don't put it on the OST no one will know how lazy I was with that cue!" :D

Then again I'm sure the Big Bad Khan rip has always been on the OST?

I was listening to the complete K-19 ost by Klaus Badelt.

I like this very much, a great and powerful soundtrack!! there is this cue called Capain Alexi Vostricov (or sth like that) on the original album, the Brass hymn sends shivers down my spine! - sounds like from a Mahler Symphony, do you guys know it you should def give it ag try!

One of my favorites from the score as well. It's a great shot in the film.

Oh right....... LOL! No wonder Combat Drop wasn't included on the Aliens OST then. He was probably like "well it wasn't used in the film and if I don't put it on the OST no one will know how lazy I was with that cue!" :D

Then again I'm sure the Big Bad Khan rip has always been on the OST?

Don't forget the Capricorn One rip. :o

It appears in a couple of cues, the first half of "Futile Escape" features it. I think the other cue is "Newt Is Taken".

Are they any good?

I wouldn't know, I haven't listened to them yet. :D But I do remember being intrigued by the different opening in the extended Main Titles.

Why would Varese put percussion only tracks on their legit CD if these extra alternates existed?

Beats me, man. I think it was because the bootleg cues were just variations of official tracks from the recording sessions. That's what the entire second CD consists of; see for yourself:

Aliens%202cds%20back.jpg

I've seen RDAF on other boots before. Is that a dude who makes covers, or a group who releases boots?

Defiance by James Newton Howard

I'm disappointed. He probably wanted to do a understated score. But, for me, it is too understated for its own good. There are moments when I thought: "oh, this can be really good", but then it doesn't quite get there. It's not terrible, but I'm not sure if I want to listen to it again. JNH can do better.

X-Files: I Want to Believe by Mark Snow

If you drop something like 10 minutes of worthless material from the album you'll end up with 45 minutes of pretty decent score. There are many recurring motifs and themes (5 or 6), love and faith themes being partiularly lovely. Then there is a lot of synthethic suspense, which plague the latter part of the album. Of two X-Files movie scores this one is stronger, I think. I like it. With reservations, but still.

Karol

"Secretaries" by Herman Beeftink. I only listened to the cue for the Mr. Patterson scene, which is a nice ambient piece that stands out, can't believe it was wasted on some soft-core flick.

Hey, I am wondering: does anyone "take notes" when listening to scores? You know, like getting a piece of paper and writing your thoughts about whatever score you happen to be listening to? Maybe I am taking my film score passion a bit too seriously, but I just find it very interesting when I read an "entry" from a while back that is almost completely opposite in opinion than a new "entry". Am I a lonely nerd for doing this?

Hey, I am wondering: does anyone "take notes" when listening to scores? You know, like getting a piece of paper and writing your thoughts about whatever score you happen to be listening to? Maybe I am taking my film score passion a bit too seriously, but I just find it very interesting when I read an "entry" from a while back that is almost completely opposite in opinion than a new "entry". Am I a lonely nerd for doing this?

I've never done that with music, but I've done it with movies, and made notes about the music as featured therein. And I've done it with novels, too.

I love to actively engage my mind in that fashion, but it takes a lot of time, so I do it only occasionally.

I am doing so, but only when I prepare reviews of the albums - it helps me significantly. It's tiresome though. :P

I make notes if I think that tracks should be split or combined, because I don't listen to anything before I've ripped it to MP3, but I can always go back and fix stuff later. And I note which tracks get blippy, but mostly technical stuff like this. I don't write reviews so I don't take academic notes.

Wall-E I'm a huge Newman fan and I was hoping for something on the scale of Finding Nemo but Wall-E is a bore!