What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

I don't understand the term "autopilot" in music. Do you mean JW could compose it in his sleep, rather than putting thought into it? In other words, it is good but could be better? There are several instances of that in music, but I wouldn't describe them as such. A lot of music would fit into that category.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't make every score your best work. I think it's a bad way to classify something. You have bad scores and good scores, and then varying stages in between. Autopilot is easily replaceable by the word effective, or average and acceptable.

Luthor's new theme is great (better than JW's),

Do you think it would fit organically into Williams' original score? Would it have been appropriate to the film? I feel it's apples and oranges, though for the record I think Ottman's theme is just a simple, lazy fanfare.

You can't make every score your best work. I think it's a bad way to classify something. You have bad scores and good scores, and then varying stages in between. Autopilot is easily replaceable by the word effective, or average and acceptable.

"Autopilot" has nothing to do with the quality or greatness of a score, but rather the originality in relation to the composer's comfort zone. Therefore, it's not synonymous to words like "average" or "acceptable."

Luthor's new theme is great (better than JW's),

Do you think it would fit organically into Williams' original score? Would it have been appropriate to the film? I feel it's apples and oranges, though for the record I think Ottman's theme is just a simple, lazy fanfare.

No, of course not. I'd just rather listen to Ottman's theme over JW's any day.

Whereas Williams bumbling Prokoviev march is the kind of music grown men should spend their time listening to!

Whereas Williams bumbling Prokoviev march is the kind of music grown men should spend their time listening to!

So you equate comedic orchestral music with childishness no adult should listen to?

You have bad scores and good scores, and then varying stages in between.

Actually, you have scores you don't like and scores you do, and then varying stages in between...

Socrates is getting very angry.

So you equate comedic orchestral music with childishness no adult should listen to?

He said grown men. Obviously the ditzier sex is exempt from the interdiction.

He said grown men. Obviously the ditzier sex is exempt from the interdiction.

What an interesting implication.

:blink: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

:blink:

Nightwing - Henry Mancini

What'd you think of it, Mark? It's growing on me. Very atmospheric, but not what I was expecting. Kind've a bummer it may be missing a climactic cue at the end according to FSM.

I am currently listening to the 1996 Varese Sarabande release of Bernard Herrmann's Vertigo. Amazing! I really need more Herrmann scores. I am thinking of getting the Charles Gerhardt recording of Citizen Kane, does anyone recommend it?

I am currently listening to the 1996 Varese Sarabande release of Bernard Herrmann's Vertigo. Amazing! I really need more Herrmann scores. I am thinking of getting the Charles Gerhardt recording of Citizen Kane, does anyone recommend it?

Very much so. All Gerhardt's albums are highly recommend, especially his Rosza.

Swashbuckler:

A fun, enjoyable score by John Addison. I love the main theme and all its variations. The Love Theme is also nice. Nothing extrodinary, but a fun listen. 3/5 stars

Sure. I was really just pointing out that Superman: The Movie didn't call for a dark, bombastic fanfare; Hackman's Lex Luthor was nothing but a joke. So to say that Ottman's theme is "better" implies that he somehow hit closer to the mark than Williams did. Ottman was writing for a completely different Lex Luthor; a serious, ruthless villain.

By which I mean a joke masquerading as a serious, ruthless villain. You know, that's something that really pisses me off about Superman Returns. It carries itself as if it's really high brow, but it's so not.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Film Soundtrack):

A great, great soundtrack. I prefer the style of the film score to the Broadway one, though the latter clearly has the better singers. "A Little Priest" is probably the highlight, though it has competition with "Opening Titles," "No Place Like London," "Poor Thing," "Epiphany," "Pretty Women," and "Johanna (Reprise)." Oh, and "Final Scene." Some of the underscore is very similar to Herrmann. I love the tragic tune in the Barber and his Wife sequences. And the lyrics are absolutely wonderful, especially in "A Little Priest." 4.5/5 stars

"Autopilot" has nothing to do with the quality or greatness of a score, but rather the originality in relation to the composer's comfort zone. Therefore, it's not synonymous to words like "average" or "acceptable."

But does originality not factor in how one perceives something as great?

You have bad scores and good scores, and then varying stages in between.

Actually, you have scores you don't like and scores you do, and then varying stages in between...

Obviously.

It's not really a Kane recording, at least not of the full score. It's your typically excellent Gerhardt compilation, with suites from several films, among them Kane. Except it's one of his best. Great selections, brilliant performances, and great sound. The Kane aria is mindblowing.

But does originality not factor in how one perceives something as great?

Depends on the person. Some people here value originality more than anything else (Blu), some people prefer JW just wrote as he did in the 80s (KM). It's just a matter of opinion. The term autopilot does not guarantee that it's a good score or a bad one. Generally speaking, most people prefer originality over non-originality. But saying something is on autopilot doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Defiance by James Newton Howard

Not a terribly great score, but a good score nonetheless. Fits better in the movie than a stand alone listening experience, but a nice listen regardless.

It's not really a Kane recording, at least not of the full score.

Yeah, I noticed that five minutes after I asked the question.

It's your typically excellent Gerhardt compilation, with suites from several films, among them Kane. Except it's one of his best. Great selections, brilliant performances, and great sound. The Kane aria is mindblowing.

You are not the only who thinks so, looking at the many reviews on Amazon.com. Well, that settles it! Thanks for the recommendation, Charlie and Marian!

Television's Greatest Hits Of The '50s And '60s:

A fun listen. 3/5 stars

The above indy4 post.

So-so prose. 2.5/5 stars

The Golden Compass by Alexandre Desplat: A fairly good score. Has the typically clear Desplat sound that sounds like each section of the orchestra was recorded separately for precise clarity. This causes some of the bigger orchestral moments to loose the large sound which would have made them even more impactful. And for once I would prefer from him less subtlety and more visceral thematic material. Digging up all this stuff took so many listens. And I feel that I do not connect emotionally with this music which tends to be the problem with all Desplat scores besides Girl with the Pearl Earring. More mushy stuff Mr. Desplat, please! Even if it would break your European working ethics. Orchestrations are top notch though. This guy knows how to use every section of the orchestra.

And I feel that I do not connect emotionally with this music which tends to be the problem with all Desplat scores besides Girl with the Pearl Earring.

I could not agree more. As I indicated in a previous post, Desplat's music might be described as anti-Poledourisian --- Poledouris being known for wearing his heart on his sleeve, so to speak, in just about every passage of his orchestral work (maybe less so in synth-laden scores like No Man's Land). Poledouris's music, I think, connects with audiences in a very similar manner to Zimmer's, except of course Poledouris had better composing chops and was clearly more at home with the symphony orchestra.

I have a totally different experience with Desplat. For me, his scores almost can't help but connecting with me. There's such warmth in the detailing of his scores...one woodwind line can connect me to his passionate music world.

Television's Greatest Hits Of The '50s And '60s:

A fun listen. 3/5 stars

The above indy4 post.

So-so prose. 2.5/5 stars

Wow I'm not used to this display of wit from you. Keep it coming :blink:

Sleepers by John Williams

:blink: Angels in America by Thomas Newman

:P

Nightwing - Henry Mancini

What'd you think of it, Mark? It's growing on me. Very atmospheric, but not what I was expecting. Kind've a bummer it may be missing a climactic cue at the end according to FSM.

Yeah it's more atmospheric but I like it.

I don't remember the missing music and it has been quite some time since I've watched the film.

It's a shame the Mancini didn't get more of these types of projects. He cut his teeth in the 50's by scoring monster films but it would have been nice to see him score some action oriented films.

John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (OST)

Never heard the OST before, I've only ever had the expanded release. The final track has some questionable editing and sound quality...

I have a totally different experience with Desplat. For me, his scores almost can't help but connecting with me. There's such warmth in the detailing of his scores...one woodwind line can connect me to his passionate music world.

I'm sorry you hear his music incorrectly. Better luck next time!

It's a shame the Mancini didn't get more of these types of projects. He cut his teeth in the 50's by scoring monster films but it would have been nice to see him score some action oriented films.

Yes.

Shogun by Maurrice Jarre, which I recently received from moviemusic. Very good, although the CD is a bit short.

Yes, indeed. Is there a particular recording of his older monster movies that you'd recommend? I really only have Lifeforce and Nightwing (and a Santa Claus the Movie LP).

Yes, indeed. Is there a particular recording of his older monster movies that you'd recommend? I really only have Lifeforce and Nightwing (and a Santa Claus the Movie LP).

Monstrous Movie Music has released some outstanding re-recordings that features some of Mancini's music:

http://www.mmmrecordings.com/

Eric Serra - Fifth Element (Complete)

One of the cases where I already liked the OST just fine, but the expansion made me like it more, and nothing seemed boring or redundant.

One thing I don't get, though, is if this came from a dvd isolated score, why did 2 of the tracks have sound effects?

:P Nightcrossing.

A fantastic but underrated score from Jerry Goldsmith. It would be nice if Intrada could re-issue it for those who missed out the first time around.

Bernard Herrmann's Mysterious Island and it seriously kicked a$$

Are you secretly hired to complement Herrmann when he's not around? There's some forum members here that abhor Herrmann's music. If you don't like it, why not start a Herrmann fan club. Surely your devout worship of his music would be better served at a place where you would be surrounded by like minded people. This is a John Williams forum and everything that his music encompasses and imbues is about the very best that music can be, both emotionally and cerebrally.