What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a break from film music as I need to upload my other albums to itunes.

Listened to a little of Michael Jackson, Earth Wind & Fire, The Commodores, Chic, Chicago, Robert Palmer, AC/DC.... with more to come.

You must at least like "Finding the Orca" right??

Oh, I love it. That statement of the Orca Theme is absolutely perfect, it gives me chills every time. Other Tracks I am particularly fond of are "The Menu", "Brody Misunderstood", "Ballet for Divers", "The Water Kite Sequence" (especially those strings that start at 1:12), "Catamaran Race" and "End Title, End Cast".

Baaahawahahaah.

Did I say something funny?

Rhythm in Motion:

A fun collection of Broadway cues arranged by the Maestro. Don't really have anything else I can say about it. 3/5 stars

A bunch of good listening over the past week or so:

The Girl with a Pearl Earing. Stunning.

The Mummy. Okay, but I was surprised how entirely unexciting the listen was. I recalled it being better.

The 13th Warrior. Much better. 'The Fire Dragon' kicks all kinds of ass.

A Simple Plan. I love mid-late 90's Elfman. Good stuff.

Home Alone. Haven't given it a spin in a while. Greatness. I also put 'Christmas Star' on the playlist...those strings that come in midway probably make this my favorite Williams song. Love the melody, but those strings coming in there make it positively sublime.

Duck, You Sucker. At the moment, my favorite Morricone theme (whole thing's terrific, though. I prefer it to both Once Upon a Times, though I have a feeling that this and West will be rotating back and forth.

Angels & Demons. To be more accurate- just '160 BPM'. I really dislike the rest of it, but I find this track very interesting and kinda fun.

Up. Don't like any of the melodies. Hope the film will change that.

Under Fire. Still my favorite Goldsmith score.

And an assortment of tracks from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

A bunch of good listening over the past week or so:

The Girl with a Pearl Earing. Stunning.

The Mummy. Okay, but I was surprised how entirely unexciting the listen was. I recalled it being better.

A Simple Plan. I love mid-late 90's Elfman. Good stuff.

Home Alone. Haven't given it a spin in a while. Greatness. I also put 'Christmas Star' on the playlist...those strings that come in midway probably make this my favorite Williams song. Love the melody, but those strings coming in there make it positively sublime.

Duck, You Sucker. At the moment, my favorite Morricone theme (whole thing's terrific, though. I prefer it to both Once Upon a Times, though I have a feeling that this and West will be rotating back and forth.

Angels & Demons. To be more accurate- just '160 BPM'. I really dislike the rest of it, but I find this track very interesting and kinda fun.

Up. Don't like any of the melodies. Hope the film will change that.

Under Fire. Still my favorite Goldsmith score.

And an assortment of tracks from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Lots of great music there! :huh:

Franz Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony"

Oh, how I wish he could have finished it. The first movement is absolutely wonderful, but the second is kind of lackluster, to me.

I find both lovely. It's unfinishedness seems to be due to lack of ideas, after all, Schubert wrote another great symphony after this.

I still much prefer The Mummy.

You know, I heard rumors that Schubert actually did write a third movement, and had it in piano manuscript form. According to the rumors, he gave it to a friend, who lost it or kept it. Have you heard of this, Marian?

I find both lovely. It's unfinishedness seems to be due to lack of ideas, after all, Schubert wrote another great symphony after this.

Well, I listened to it at 3:00 A.M. during a fit of insomnia, so I would not be surprised if some of the second movement's charm was lost on me. Hm, I think I will go on a Schubert marathon....

<_< "Moment Musical No. 3 in F Minor, Op.94"

You know, I heard rumors that Schubert actually did write a third movement, and had it in piano manuscript form. According to the rumors, he gave it to a friend, who lost it or kept it. Have you heard of this, Marian?

If I have, I can't recall. <_<

I still much prefer The Mummy.

Same especially in it's complete form.

I think it greatly suffers in complete form. More of the same, and the actual highlights are too spread out in complete form. This last listen was the complete score, and it left a bad taste which I never got from the OST (though I wasn't a huge fan of that either).

Mission: Impossible

I hear three composers when I listen to this score: Lalo Schifrin, Bernard Herrmann, and Danny Elfman. How Danny managed to blend the other two's compositional voices into his own so well is beyond my comprehension. By the way, Morlock, since you seem to love the score as much as (if not more than) I do: Where can I hear Lalo Schifrin's "The Plot"? Apparently it is in "Biblical Revelation", but I do not know where to find it....

I hear three composers when I listen to this score: Lalo Schifrin, Bernard Herrmann, and Danny Elfman. How Danny managed to blend the other two's compositional voices into his own so well is beyond my comprehension. By the way, Morlock, since you seem to love the score as much as (if not more than) I do: Where can I hear Lalo Schifrin's "The Plot"? Apparently it is in "Biblical Revelation", but I do not know where to find it....

"Looking for Job" includes that motif somewhere around 2:22. I can't say about "Biblical Revelation" since I only own 3 cues from "Darkened Theatre v.2" compilation.

I think it greatly suffers in complete form. More of the same, and the actual highlights are too spread out in complete form. This last listen was the complete score, and it left a bad taste which I never got from the OST (though I wasn't a huge fan of that either).

I only have the regular CD, and I enjoy that pretty much throughout, save perhaps one or two later tracks. My Favourite Plague is one of my favourite post-Total Recall Goldsmith pieces. Your description fits how I feel about 13th Warrior, though I've warmed to it over the years. But overall, I still think it has only three or four notable highlights spread over the entire score (and two of those are quite similar).

"Looking for Job" includes that motif somewhere around 2:22. I can't say about "Biblical Revelation" since I only own 3 cues from "Darkened Theatre v.2" compilation.

You should buy the album as soon you can, it is wonderful!

Mission Impossible continues to grow on me, but I think it's one of Elfman's weaker efforts. I do appreciate how unElfmanesque it sounds, as well as the main theme and "Betrayal." He also wrote my favorite rendition of the Main Theme.

None But the Brave:

Not very interesting aside from the main theme. But there are many hints of music to come later in JW's career (JFK-piano theme, Superman Hawaiian music, Midway's Asian themes...). 2/5 stars

Un-Elfmanesque? It's got his fingerprints all over it! That's why I love it so much.

I was under the impression that the plot theme was the 7-note motif that Elfman uses at the end of his new theme (Earliest example is 0:46-0:50 in the first track) ...I guess I might be wrong, but I recall looking into this some time in the past. Either way, I'm pretty sure it isn't anywhere in 'Biblical Revelations', and 'Looking for Job' is one building motif until 2:45 (where the motif I believe to be the Plot theme appears at 3:03-3:09). Giacchino also uses this motif in his score.

I only have the regular CD, and I enjoy that pretty much throughout, save perhaps one or two later tracks. My Favourite Plague is one of my favourite post-Total Recall Goldsmith pieces. Your description fits how I feel about 13th Warrior, though I've warmed to it over the years. But overall, I still think it has only three or four notable highlights spread over the entire score (and two of those are quite similar).

To each his own. Maybe I listened to The Mummy too soon after listening to The Wind and The Lion, which is one of my favorite scores ever. Goldsmith's action in the 90's just isn't as sprightly as it once was- more broken up into bite-size section, few seriously extended lines. I think that's why I like 'The Fire Dragon' so much- the strings towards the end are running on, and are not cut-off by the brass and percussion, like most Goldsmith action stuff of the era (Of course, he does do some terrific stuff with this more punctuated sound- puts it to some very good use in Air Force One, probably my favorite post Total-Recall Goldsmith actioneer).

I think Morlock is correct about the Plot Theme, as that theme is used in Giacchio's M:i:III as well, and as far as I know that and the main theme are the only melodic ideas used in the first and third film.

I was under the impression that the plot theme was the 7-note motif that Elfman uses at the end of his new theme (Earliest example is 0:46-0:50 in the first track) ...I guess I might be wrong, but I recall looking into this some time in the past. Either way, I'm pretty sure it isn't anywhere in 'Biblical Revelations', and 'Looking for Job' is one building motif until 2:45 (where the motif I believe to be the Plot theme appears at 3:03-3:09). Giacchino also uses this motif in his score.

Oh, I know what you are referring to (by the way, am I the only one who hears similarities between "Looking for Job" and "Blue Strings"?). And I do love that propulsive string motif that Danny Elfman wrote (my favorite statements beginning at 3:21 or so in "The Heist"). Would you know what it represents? I just interpret as a theme for Ethan's antics.

I think it grew on me because I liked the movie so much, and because it was my first real introduction to non-Star Trek Jerry Goldsmith, especially one with a diverse ethnic flair. If I had gotten The Mummy first, roles might have been reversed.

To each his own. Maybe I listened to The Mummy too soon after listening to The Wind and The Lion, which is one of my favorite scores ever. Goldsmith's action in the 90's just isn't as sprightly as it once was- more broken up into bite-size section, few seriously extended lines. I think that's why I like 'The Fire Dragon' so much- the strings towards the end are running on, and are not cut-off by the brass and percussion, like most Goldsmith action stuff of the era (Of course, he does do some terrific stuff with this more punctuated sound- puts it to some very good use in Air Force One, probably my favorite post Total-Recall Goldsmith actioneer).

I guess I haven't heard enough Goldsmith if this is one of my favorites of his.

I don't know about you and The Mummy, but I do know that Air Force One is one of the very first Goldsmith scores I was aware of, and it is still a favorite. Not just a grudging favorite- it is genuinely one of my favorite Goldsmith scores, one of the ones I can listen to most often in complete form.

You should buy the album as soon you can, it is wonderful!

I listened to the whole album some time ago and I can say it's my favourite non-Schifrin M:I score, but, on the other hand, it's not on my priority list - I have other scores to buy first, including other by Elfman.

Mission: Impossible is one of my favourite Elfman albums of all time. Never getting tired of it. The level of detail and the amount of motifs in these 50+ minutes is astonishing.

Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of his Sommersby score. That's another winner.

Karol

Never getting tired of it. The level of detail and the amount of motifs in these 50+ minutes is astonishing.

Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of his Sommersby score. That's another winner.

Agreed on all counts! I found Sommersby for a reasonable price, but my mother has not given me permission to order it yet....

I'm listening to Order of the Phoenix, a truly great score. Fireworks (minus the guitars), Professor Umbridge, Room of Requirement, The Kiss, Dumbledore's Army, Possession, A Journey to Hogwarts, Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning, Dakrness Takes Over, The Ministry of Magic, Flight of the Order of the Phoenix, Another Story, and Loved Ones and Leaving are all good cues. Of course I'd pick Williams over Hooper in a heartbeat, but if JW doesn't score DH, my next choice would be Hooper. But I will reserve final judgement until I've heard HBP fully.

I'm listening to Order of the Phoenix, a truly great score. Fireworks (minus the guitars), Professor Umbridge, Room of Requirement, The Kiss, Dumbledore's Army, Possession, A Journey to Hogwarts, Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning, Dakrness Takes Over, The Ministry of Magic, Flight of the Order of the Phoenix, Another Story, and Loved Ones and Leaving are all good cues. Of course I'd pick Williams over Hooper in a heartbeat, but if JW doesn't score DH, my next choice would be Hooper. But I will reserve final judgement until I've heard HBP fully.

So far I would have agreed; I liked it far better than Doyle's score, particularly the "ministry of magic" and "the kiss" cues. As for the new score... we will see, I am not very optimistic, I have to say...

Anyway, listening to "the Robe" by Newman right now, and like it a lot. Just wish I would have known about the deluxe 2CD set earlier; it's at $125 now.

Monsignor

The music practically screams, "Work out to me!"

I prefer exercising to "calmer" music rather than "heart-pumping" music. In fact, the only Tracks I listened to on The Fury were "For Gillian" and "Epilogue".

Looney Tunes: Back In Action.

I gave it a spin (no pun intended) for the first time today and found it quite enjoyable.

I'm curious is this is all of Goldsmith's score on the Varese CD.

Anyway, listening to "the Robe" by Newman right now, and like it a lot. Just wish I would have known about the deluxe 2CD set earlier; it's at $125 now.

Are you listening to an isolated score derived from the Special Edition DVD of The Robe?

Are you listening to an isolated score derived from the Special Edition DVD of The Robe?

No, I imported the German release based on a late 90s edition. about 60 minutes, unfortunately without the highlight "the crucifixion" (apparently it did not survive on the masters they used).

Same here, I had to settle for the original release. Still, it probably is my favorite Alfred Newman score. if you enjoyed it, you should check the Cantata Man from Galilee, based on themes from The Robe and The Greatest Story Ever Told

Looney Tunes: Back In Action.

I gave it a spin (no pun intended) for the first time today and found it quite enjoyable.

I'm curious is this is all of Goldsmith's score on the Varese CD.

I think it's close to being all of it.

I believe Debney scored most of the last reel.

Same here, I had to settle for the original release. Still, it probably is my favorite Alfred Newman score. if you enjoyed it, you should check the Cantata Man from Galilee, based on themes from The Robe and The Greatest Story Ever Told

Oh, sounds interesting (I'm really in religioso mood at present ;-)). Can one get that easily? And in general, what else that's similar would be of interest? I figured that many things i would like (like Ten Commandments and Rozsa stuff) is out of print ant usually very expensive...