What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

House of Sand and Fog by James Horner.

I have to say, I have been extremely displeased with Horner's work over the last 2 decades(except Titanic and Avatar) so I didn't expect much going into this score. I had seen it had been nodded for Best Score, but so had A Beautiful Mind and I find that score boring and redundant. But, I love this score. Even the parts that are derivative from his other works sound good, particularly an Aliens quote about 7 minutes into "The Shooting, A Payment for Our Sins". I love that quote. The last two tracks are just great. I love them. I listened to the last 3 tracks over and over for some 5 hours the night I got the soundtrack and consistently after. The rest of the score is considerably weaker, but still very good, in my opinion. This seems almost like a masterpiece, if not for the weaker parts of the score. I still rate it a 5 out of 5.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen a lot to Young's Creation. This and The Wolfman are my two favourite scores of the year so far. The third album, altough not a new one, that I listen to pretty much all the time would be The Black Sunday. I said it before and I will say it again: I like this year already. :(

Karol - waiting impatiently for the Lost - Season 5 CD release

I listen a lot to Young's Creation. This and The Wolfman are my two favourite scores of the year so far. The third album, altough not a new one, that I listen to pretty much all the time would be The Black Sunday. I said it before and I will say it again: I like this year already. :)

Karol - waiting impatiently for the Lost - Season 5 CD release

Pretty much sums up my sentiments of this year of film music thusfar. And it is turning into one spectacular year in my opinion. Old and new stuff flooding in at a pace you can't keep up with, unless you have a very full wallet. :)

And I am also waiting anxiously for the Lost Season 5 soundtrack.

:( Lost Season 3 Soundtrack

I listen a lot to Young's Creation. This and The Wolfman are my two favourite scores of the year so far. The third album, altough not a new one, that I listen to pretty much all the time would be The Black Sunday.

Add parts of ALICE IN WONDERLAND, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON and GHOST WRITER and it's really a good start with CLASH OF THE TITANS as the only obvious sore thumb by now.

I guess the 2 new Horners and PRINCE OF PERSIA will have at least something of value (cross Horner from the list; if there's a panflute or a trumpet blast vaguely resembling ZORRO in it, people will hate it instantly and feverishly). Then comes Desplat/POTTER, several new Williams and Goldsmith releases...

and i'm hungry for Tadlow's MAD MAX III release. This fanfare gets my blood boiling!

13806.gif

Oh yes, I forgot about The Ghost Writer. And Doctor Parnassus (which, as far as I remember, came out on January 5th)! And even Edge of Darkness has something to offer. And yes, I like Alice too. Altough The Wolfman is a much better album. How To Train Your Dragon is mostly very good, though my interest fizzles somewhat after track 14. The action music at the end does very little to me. Even The Pacific is quite strong.

Karol - who didn't bother to even check the samples of the Clash of the Titans album.

I don't quite get how many people are disappointed with this music. The references? They are mostly superficial genre references and the Kilar tribute was always to be there, according to Elfman. Than maybe the shortage of action music, rather smaller sound and, on top of that, sombre mood? That's probably it. I am, for once, already bored with apocalyptic action music with loads of choir and stuff.

Karol

I don't quite get how many people are disappointed with this music. The references? They are mostly superficial genre references and the Kilar tribute was always to be there, according to Elfman. Than maybe the shortage of action music, rather smaller sound and, on top of that, sombre mood? That's probably it. I am, for once, already bored with apocalyptic action music with loads of choir and stuff.

Karol

Yes the score might be gloomy but so gloriously gothicly gloomy it is hugely enjoyable. Nicely brooding and dark. The action music where it appears is suitably wild and relentless and hard edged. This score was a nice surprise for me.

And yes publicist, the scores you mentioned above contain some good stuff as well.

The Tony Scott/Harry Gregson-Williams collaboration (sans Enemy Of The State):

Spy Game

Beat The Devil

Man On Fire

Domino

Deja Vu

The Taking Of Pelham 123

A director-composer collaboration that was meant to be. Some of Harry's finest work in these scores, not to mention some great action flicks.

How To Train Your Dragon x15? I lost count.

The years best score hands down. I'd rank it in Powell's top 3, with it rivaling Horton Hears A Who! for the top spot. This Is Berk, The Downed Dragon, Forbidden Friendship, Test Drive, Romantic Flight, and Coming Back Around are the best cues IMO. I simply cannot get enough of this score. Can't wait to hear what Powell did for Knight And Day.

Today was:

Robocop - couldn't get the march out of my head all day :)

The Alamo - I'd like it better if the dialogue wasn't present

Dragonslayer - this is going to take repeated listens to get familiar with; it's not good to listen to if you're stressed at work and want to calm down

Baby

The Goonies

This makes the second day in a week I haven't touched How to Train Your Dragon...but the day is not yet over.

JURASSIC PARK. After all the talk, I thought I'd go back to the OST and see if my feelings changed at all (using ETAndElliot4ever's resequencing). And no, not really. Some of it is truly great ('Journey To The Island'), and there's a lot of bits where I can pick out some great orchestration and wonderful flourishes. But as a whole it has no real effect on me. I enjoy the theme a lot more than I used to, though. But it rarely gets to a point (such as in 'Journey') where it inspires me to say 'this is a great score', or album as it were. Maybe a complete score with no sfx in proper quality would change my mind a tad.

I can remember playing JP to death when it was first released. I wouldn't call it a great score but it's a very good one. It's just nice to hear Williams in that "B" movie mode.

I disagree. I love everything about that score, whether complete or not. (There really isn't that much significant material missing...if Williams had omitted the repeated material on the OST, the complete score could have fit on one disc.) The two main themes are both lovely, but the action music is among Williams' best, too. The carnivores' theme is very sinister, and there are a number of lesser motifs that Williams uses in different cues, all of which are also quite good.

Sometimes a score just inexplicably doesn't grab you, though. I mean, I still can't really get fully into CE3K, even though it seems like I'd love the score. For some reason, I just haven't really connected with it yet.

Journey to the Island is the only part of JP that's true greatness. The rest is merely good.

Is your cd missing T-Rex Rescue & Finale???????

I've always liked JP, but I'm unsure if I should say it's great. I would reserve such an adjective for the likes of Jaws, Star Wars Trilogy, Superman, CE3K, Indy Trilogy and Hook.

Close Encounters grew on me a lot in recent years. I used to skip right through the CDs to the finale and call it quits. When I got the Boston Pops CDs with the suite, forget it. I retired both CE3K CDs for a long time. Now they're constantly in rotation.

I've always liked JP, but I'm unsure if I should say it's great. I would reserve such an adjective for the likes of Jaws, Star Wars Trilogy, Superman, CE3K, Indy Trilogy and Hook.

I wouldn't quite put it on the same level as the Star Wars or Indy scores, either, but that doesn't mean it's not great. The word "great" doesn't suggest that everything it describes is of uniform quality, IMO.

Heavy Metal by Elmer Bernstein

Sometimes a little too orchestral for my tastes, if that makes sense. Perhaps "filler" is the better word. The theme is good, but I didn't hear it too often. My favorite track would be "Getting Bombed," which is one helluva track. Reminds me a bit of his Magnificent Seven score. Brilliant.

TWOK. What can I say? Surely Horner's finest work, though I can't claim to be familiar with his entire oeuvre. It has such a wonderful enthusiasm to it. The music for the film's climax is especially compelling - the really excellent action music, the weird soundscape of the Mutara Nebula, the way the triumph fades away into the tragedy of Spock's death.

Y'know, I wonder what a Williams TWOK score would have sounded like. Horner turned out to be a great choice for the film, but I do wonder.

Secret Weapons Over Normandy by Michael Giacchino

Lost Season 1 Soundtrack by Michael Giacchino

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Expanded but not as satisfying as a complete score Edition)by John Williams

:)

Jane Eyre, Hook, The Towering Inferno & Last Crusade by some dude named John Williams.

Innerspace & Hoosiers by the late, great pony tailed one.

Clash Of The Titans (the good one) by Laurence Rosenthal.

Deleted a bunch of files and trashed CD-R's from a July 4th score. ;)

Schindler's List - I recently watched the film and then went straight onto the score. It's a miraculous achievement.

I did Temple of Doom today as well. It struck me during "The Secret Passage" just how well JW did music for creeping around in caves and crypts in that era, you know the sort of thing he failed miserably at (in my opinion) when he did KOTCS. The only thing I skip from any of the Indy 1-3 soundtracks is the Temple of Doom source music. Sometimes. Can't wait to take all three for another spin.

TOD's definitely an excellent score. Far better than I initially gave it credit for.

Currently listening to more of the Star Wars Anthology. My goodness, Williams wrote some amazing material in the late 70s and early 80s.

I'm back in my SE phase when it comes to SW but I'll eventually get back into my Anthology phase. I like the chronological/"complete" presentations, but I also enjoy the original album arrangements like Training of a Jedi Knight, Rescue of the Princess, the Tatooine scenes from SW and also the older sound mixes (obviously preferable in regards to ROTJ, but there are differences I notice and appreciate in the first SW) and my iTunes playlists incorporating the additional music from disc 4 (at one point I kinda stupidly arranged what are now my iPod Anthology playlists and burned two discs for each of the movies around 2000'ish). I've been listening to the Anthology since the early 90's, not about to stop now. It's the oldest thing in my JW collection, next to Last Crusade.

Well, the Anthology is the newest thing in my JW collection, and I definitely have not warmed up to the scrambled OST-like presentation of the tracks, but the sound quality and the occasional clean opening or ending make it well worth it. And it's fun to hear different takes, too. The SEs are a far superior presentation, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm grateful to have both. :D

Well, the Anthology is the newest thing in my JW collection, and I definitely have not warmed up to the scrambled OST-like presentation of the tracks, but the sound quality and the occasional clean opening or ending make it well worth it. And it's fun to hear different takes, too. The SEs are a far superior presentation, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm grateful to have both. :D

The SEs might well be presented better, but the sound quailty of all the music from ROTJ is markedly better on "The Anthology".

You also get "Lapti Nek", instead of that ridiculous "Jedi Rocks", but not the English version by Joseph Williams, which is, I am reliably assured, knocking around.

:D Marathon Man, which I received today (among others). A great score, quite a challenging listen I must say (at least for the first few listens probably), but certainly a new gem in my collection.

I think JW actually made good decisions with arranging the old SW album. SW complete in chronological order has been known to bore me during the Tatooine and Death Star scenes. My Anthology playlist is the perfect solution. ROTJ also sounds way better (with the exception of Through the Flames) and I know that a few people here have been e-vocal of their preference for the incomplete version of ROTJ. I have to say that my Anthology ROTJ playlist satisfies me without that extra half hour or whatever. Either way, you win.

I think Williams did an outstanding job sequencing the original LPs for Star Wars & Empire.

My "dream" release for the original trilogy would be for the original albums to be remastered and presented as well as the complete scores in film order. And I would like to see how Williams would have arranged Jedi if he had the option at the time of 2 LPs, like the first 2 films.

I've never heard the original LP sequence. I know these scores from SE editions and they, from my standpoint, they don't feel like they need any interference.

Karol

For those that are curious, here are the track listings for the LP's.

Star Wars LP

LP 1

Side 1

1. Main Title (05:20)

2. Imperial Attack (06:10)

3. Princess Leia's Theme (04:18)

4. The Desert and the Robot Auction (02:51)

Side 2

5. Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack (03:46)

6. The Little People Work (04:02)

7. Rescue of the Princess (04:46)

8. Inner City (04:12)

9. Cantina Band (02:44)

LP 2

Side 1

1. The Land of the Sand People (02:50)

2. Mouse Robot and Blasting Off (04:01)

3. The Return Home (02:46)

4. The Walls Converge (04:31)

5. The Princess Appears (04:04)

Side 2

6. The Last Battle (12:05)

7. The Throne Room and End Title (05:28)

The Empire Strikes Back LP

LP 1

Side 1

1. Star Wars (Main Theme) (05:49)

2. Yoda's Theme (03:24)

3. The Training of a Jedi Knight (03:17)

4. The Heroics of Luke and Han (06:18)

Side 2

5. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) (02:59)

6. Departure of Boba Fett (03:30)

7. Han Solo and the Princess (03:25)

8. Hyperspace (04:02)

9. The Battle in the Snow (03:48)

LP 2

Side 1

1. The Asteroid Field (04:10)

2. The City in the Clouds (06:29)

3. Rebels at Bay (05:23)

4. Yoda and the Force (04:01)

Side 2

5. The Duel (04:07)

6. The Magic Tree (03:32)

7. Lando's Palace (03:52)

8. Finale (06:28)

For those that are curious, here are the track listings for the LP's.

Well, it seems a little all over the place for someone familiar only with C&C version. I can't imagine how this might work and why anyone would prefer it that way. Not counting the nostalgia factor, of course. I might reprogram the RCA version to check this myself. But then again I expect some obstacles there (in terms of cues editing).

Karol