What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

I was listening to Morricones's Secret Of The Sahara and surprise! Is that L'incontro con la figlia right in there ala Horner?

And I have heard the melody in track 5 somewhere else.

I've been also listening to Tiomkin's The Alamo.

Edit: it seems I opened page 101... hum...

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Morricones's Secret Of The Sahara and surprise! Is that L'incontro con la figlia right in there ala Horner?

And I have heard the melody in track 5 somewhere else.

I'm sure if you composed 500 scores you'd stick some previous stuff in your projects :)

Been listening to some of James Newton Howard's Last Airbender. Seems ok, nothing I am getting excited about, but I've never been a huge fan of his.

I'm listening to it to, although legitimately ;)

It's fantastic! It's like a hybrid of his style with Zimmer's.

So that's what's wrong with it. No wonder I could not enjoy it. All those walls of sound, samey ostinati and synth sounding brass. Shyamalan and JNH decided really to break the blockbuster mould with this score. ;)

Perhaps (and I really hope so) the score will get better with time. Two listens did not convince me of the awesomeness of this music.

Gonna listen to Williams' WOTW right now. I'm realizing I haven't listened to the whole OST in a loooong time, and I figured I should give it another chance. We'll see how it goes...

That's not a good thing.

So far I'm unimpressed by it; there might be 2 or 3 tracks I choose to buy separately but an album buy is unlikely.

Whereas I listened to 2/3 of Karate Kid last night - superb stuff, even if it does sound like Avatar 2.

That's not a good thing.

So far I'm unimpressed by it; there might be 2 or 3 tracks I choose to buy separately but an album buy is unlikely.

It is a good and well thought-out score. I played it 6 or 7 times while working and there's always something new to discover. Not every minute is gold but on the whole, it's very rewarding.

The real culprit, i guess, is the absence of real themes. The themes are motivic and rather basic, which makes it fun to spot them. The main heroic theme (the Zimmer-anthem inspired 6-note riff) is the most obvious.

It's definitely deeper than the nice-sounding cheese with obvious themes that is KARATE KID. It just needs more attention.

So that's what's wrong with it. No wonder I could not enjoy it. All those walls of sound, samey ostinati and synth sounding brass. Shyamalan and JNH decided really to break the blockbuster mould with this score. ;)

Ugh, in that case it will be the first JNH - Shyamalan score I'll pass on. I wasn't too enthused with the sound clips to begin with.

It is a good and well thought-out score. I played it 6 or 7 times while working and there's always something new to discover. Not every minute is gold but on the whole, it's very rewarding.

The real culprit, i guess, is the absence of real themes. The themes are motivic and rather basic, which makes it fun to spot them. The main heroic theme (the Zimmer-anthem inspired 6-note riff) is the most obvious.

It's definitely deeper than the nice-sounding cheese with obvious themes that is KARATE KID. It just needs more attention.

Well the score has left me thusfar emotionally completely cold. And what Koray said is unfortunately true. The score sounds like a horrible Zimmer/JNH crossbreed orchestration and mixing wise. I keep hoping that the mixing might suddenly change and that I could hear layers instead of a mass of sound. It all sounds cold and generic. A disappoinment as I was really hoping for a great fantasy score from this Shyamalan/JNH collaboration.

Some of it is nice, but looks like again generic action scoring from JNH. Too bad. The Zimmer injection doesn't help, obviously.

I too just finished listening JNH's The Last Airbender. What to say? The opening track really blew me out. Some great stuff in there, really nice orchestral writing (see my comment on the Karate Kid thread).

As the listening progressed, I too noticed JNH's tendency toward a kind of Zimmer-esque approach (i.e.: pounding rhythms in 4/4, minor-mode motifs played by horns in unison, use of certain Zimmer-favourite progression chords like Minor 3rd, etc.) and that's a bit sad, as JNH is an excellent composer able to do some non-cliché stuff with the orchestra (the track called "We Could Be Friends" is a great example).

However, I think it's an above than average score.

Galaxy Quest (promo)

Quite a fun and engaging little score, if monothematic. I actually included it on my "favorites of the '90s" list and think it deserves to be there.

Restoration by James Newton Howard: A nice period score with lovely melodies and interesting variations on the material.

Robin Hood by Michael Kamen

First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith

I gave The Last Airbender a listen last night and I was so happy with what I heard.

I've been looking forward to The Last Airbender score ever since I caught wind of the project. I love JNH's fantasy writing and I've been silently annoyed that he's spent the past few years pursuing relatively uninteresting projects. Thankfully my waiting was worth it and I love what he's managed to come up with here. It's epic and and I completely disagree with the folks who are dismissing this.

Are there moments of big drums and french horns? Well yah. But if that's all you hear in this score I have to seriously question your musical literacy. There's a number of themes I picked up on and only ONE of them is Zimmer-ish. But thankfully JNH does something few composers are want to do these days and he actually takes that simple theme and does all sorts of clever things to it throughout the score. Yes he goes full blown R/C with it a few times (but that may account for 30 seconds of an hour+ listening experience). Let's not discount what I assume to be the Fire Nation theme which feels like Shostakovich encased in a layer of awesome. And the final track of the CD is simply transcendent. It's stuff like this that makes me love film music and accept being a social pariah at parties because of it.

Anyhoo, there is so much to appreciate here and I boo every single person who says this sounds too much like a JNH/Zimmer baby.

Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (Expanded)

Didn't do much for me. Why so much electronics over the orchestra? Isn't this a action film set in the jungle?

Mark Mancina - Speed 2: Cruise Control (Composer Promo)

SUCH a great score! Had been thinking about this score recently for no apparent reason and intended to give it another listen soon. The possibility that this could be in the next LLL batch made me listen to it today! And it sure was as good as I remembered it. I like this score as much as Speed 1 and Twister.... possibly more. A complete release would be an instant purchase!

Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (Expanded)

Didn't do much for me. Why so much electronics over the orchestra? Isn't this a action film set in the jungle?

With helicopters, rocket launchers and explosive arrows. It's Vietnam in the modern age, hence the electronic mix.

I've been listening to this score pretty much non-stop, it's awesome. And it works great in the film.

Mark Mancina - Speed 2: Cruise Control (Composer Promo)

SUCH a great score! Had been thinking about this score recently for no apparent reason and intended to give it another listen soon. The possibility that this could be in the next LLL batch made me listen to it today! And it sure was as good as I remembered it. I like this score as much as Speed 1 and Twister.... possibly more. A complete release would be an instant purchase!

Hmm, I never thought of the possibility of a release from LLL. Now that you mention it though, it seems like a great contender, they did, after all, release Bad Boys. I've also loved the score, especially "Crashing Into The Island." I remember once calling it the perfect example of what a sequel score should be. I don't know if that still holds true, I haven't listened to it in years.

I never thought of the possibility of a release from LLL.

I guess you didn't read the LLL thread today :rolleyes:

I've also loved the score, especially "Crashing Into The Island." I remember once calling it the perfect example of what a sequel score should be. I don't know if that still holds true, I haven't listened to it in years.

It is a perfect blend of an original score and the old themes. There's never a rehash, the old themes always sound different.

Last Airbender by JNH (again): Slightly better listening experience this time but still no "this is a 5 star score" revelation many seem to have. A few very impressive moments between many less impressive ones. Flow Like Water is indeed a highlight of the album.

Last Airbender by JNH (again): Slightly better listening experience this time but still no "this is a 5 star score" revelation many seem to have. A few very impressive moments between many less impressive ones. Flow Like Water is indeed a highlight of the album.

I wouldn't call it 5-star (what is?), but it definitely has (good) layers and subtleties which i picked up only on repeated listenings.

My final verdict is that Newton Howard works in the expected trailermusic soundscheme and tries his valiant best to give it a life beyond that narrow frame. So you have all the blunt musical means but interwoven are much more delicately conceived ideas. I would award it 3,5 stars.

"The Towering Inferno".

I can't really express to people (except to those on this site) how the music of J.W. affects me.

This was the score that introduced me to J.W., and, as such, has a special place in my heart, not to mention my J.W. top-10!

Listening to it again (without the film) I am struck by how "noble" it all is. It has an integrity that does not appear in "Earthquake", and only comes to the fore occasionally, in "The Poseidon Adventure".

The film is a "survival" film. No-one wins, people just carry on. There is no big "rush" at the end, no joyful celebration; people die, people live, and that's it.

If J.W had composed "Hymn To The Fallen" in 1974, he would have called it "An Architect's Dream", and, as such, this piece of music is no less than an elegy to Barbara Ruick.

This whole score is a powerful piece of work, made even more poingnant by the death of Mrs. W., not long before it was composed.

"Waking Up" is not just about people surviving the deluge, it is about J.W. waking up after his own flood. Listened to in these terms, I find the score almost painful in determination to survive, and carry on.

Of course, any composer should write to what is happening on-screen, but the good ones-the GREAT ones, like J.W. is- can also add something of their own life-experiences, which turns an o.k. score, into a major piece of work. J.W. did this for TTI, and I for one, am truly grateful.

LOST Season 5. For me, easily the weakest of the five soundtracks that have been released, but still worth the purchase. I'm looking forward to the S6 soundtrack, which is sure to be a formidable release whenever it comes out. I'm still hoping for a 2-disc set.

I also listened to a few tracks from The Fury. I like this score, though I'm not too familiar with it yet.

I just started Modern Warfare 2, man it's like completely rediscovering the score. It's a completely different experience away from the game. The music actually has structure, and isn't just 20 second snippets every now and then. Nice thematic development, and not just the same ol' variations at the start of every MP game. Great stuff.

Blood Diamond.

Boring. JNH can do way better.

Boring?! Perhaps he can do way better, but it's by no means boring. Great action score.

Actually I think the theme is very good and has got an interesting mix of styles, but there's something about the overall score that makes me want to listen to something else instead.

"The Towering Inferno".

It's the best pre-Jaws score, I think. It's Williams in the very final phase of transitioning to his 70s/80s "blockbuster" sound. Just the first 10 minutes or so absolutely signify a new Williams to me. Lush with memorable themes oozing with that unmistakable Williamsness of the Star Wars/Superman/Spielberg era--the heroic main title, the even-better secondary theme (dominating the last couple minutes of the helicopter scene and reprised in "Planting the Charges" as well as the finale), Susan's theme, the Lisolette/Harlee theme. The only thing that drags it down a bit for me is the period sound at points. But I still can't be bothered enough by this to really hold it against the score overall. It's amazing.

Mark Mancina - Speed 2

Yup, listened to it again!

Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes

I actually quite like the main theme and quirky music quite a bit. But the loud pounding drum parts grow tiresome real fast.

John Williams - Jaws 2 (OST)

The speculation that this could be released by La La made me want to listen to it again. Its an enjoyable 40 minutes, but never having seen the film I have no idea what any of this is underscoring. Still a great final track

John Williams - Jaws 2 (OST)

but never having seen the film I have no idea what any of this is underscoring

:) It's a fun movie! You should check it out.

Our mod is slacking behind...this has gone to 102 pages. It should have been locked by now and a new one started. Same with a couple of other threads.

Blood Diamond.

Boring. JNH can do way better.

Boring?! Perhaps he can do way better, but it's by no means boring. Great action score.

Actually I think the theme is very good and has got an interesting mix of styles, but there's something about the overall score that makes me want to listen to something else instead.

I like a few of the thematic cues, but the action? Meh, sounds straight out of RCP. I think it's the point where he started to sound like Zimmer.

As for Last Airbender, my first listen was unimpressive. Lack of real themes, repetitive and somewhat formulaic progressions and dare I say it, a mix that sounds horrifically close to Zimmer's sound. I really, really hope that this isn't the style for a new decade of scoring from him, because I don't like it

I'm actually enjoying Elfman more than JNH these days. That's weird.

I'm not against not instantly recognizable themes.

I'm certainly surprised at The Last Airbender as I expected it to be a "happy adventure" score in the style of the fun Treasure Planet or something (I haven't seen the cartoon).

I'm really starting to like a lot some parts of the score, but maybe JNH should have injected more of his own musical dramatic sensibilities into the score. I don't know if it's the mix or something like that, but sometimes those strings would work way better with a more "bright" sound.

It's sound a little better, and there are some interesting ideas, but somehow it doesn't quite come together. Maybe it's the mix, or that he's guilty of something that many composers are these days: stopping completely and suddenly before moving on to the next idea.

The quality actually seems to vary wildly even within cues. There are moments where I feel he's really got it, then it falls down again into a bit where not much happens beyond basic progressions or he just repeats the same thing over and over.

The Lost World Jurassic Park by John Williams

The War of the Worlds by John Williams

The Mists of the Avalon by Lee Holridge

It's sound a little better, and there are some interesting ideas, but somehow it doesn't quite come together. Maybe it's the mix, or that he's guilty of something that many composers are these days: stopping completely and suddenly before moving on to the next idea.

The quality actually seems to vary wildly even within cues. There are moments where I feel he's really got it, then it falls down again into a bit where not much happens beyond basic progressions or he just repeats the same thing over and over.

I am a bit baffled by the rave reviews of The Last Airbender. Am I listening to a completely different score than the rest of the people or is there something that I have not heard yet in this music? :) At least 3 soundtrack review sites have awarded this score top marks (one wanted to award it 11/10 actually) and announced this best of the year thusfar.

There's a people saying (SoundtrackGeek review, for example) that the chorus was left out of the cd mix to save money of reuse fees or something. I haven't seen anything else that these comments so I don't know if it's true.

The release seems to have been messed up anyway. For example, there's a cool idea in Airbender Suite that never appears again in the score.

KM likes that one a lot too. I will have to check it out (haven't seen the movie yet)