What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Wow, I'm surprised at the reactions to the Gerhardt ESB re-recording. To me, it even surpasses the original and the sound quality is stunning. And I«ve never noticed a slower tempo on most of the tracks, quite the contrary. Any specific tracks you guys dislike?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerhardt's EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I'm going to listen to this a bit more, but so far, I'm not feeling it. Han Solo and the Princess is nice, I like the way he's embellished it, but The Asteroid Field is a huge misfire, and sounds like chunks have been cut from it and randomly inserted. I'll give it another few tries, but I'm not impressed, which is a shame as I love his ROTJ.

Isn't the Asteroid Field Williams' own concert arrangement? I quite like it. It removes the thematic elements that would be out of place in a concert context.

Mulan:

A good score by JG. I don't hold it as high as many here do, but I definitely enjoy listening to it. The songs are a major step down from the stuff Menken gave, or even Elton John. The only ones worth keeping for me are "I'll Make a Man Out of You" and "Girl Worth Fighting For." 4/5 stars

I love Gerhardt's recording of Finale, the renditions of the Imperial March in it are the most powerful I've ever heard.

Bought the CD decades ago, and loved it immediately. Upon revisiting this score, the synth effects have been bothering me more and more. I wish there were some alternates out there minus the effects.

The 'Supergirl' Varése edition has some cues without the synths ('Monster Storm', i. e.).

I've never been a big fan of the Supergirl OST. As a live piece, the overture is downright amazing. On the OST, it lacks a little spark, and the rest of the score never did that much for me.

I've tried listening to Gerhardt's re-recordings for the Star Wars films and frankly I don't like them, to me they just sound like every other re-recording out there. Too slow of a tempo and just sounds off.

No point in them sounding exactly the same as the originals. Here They Come! and Into the Trap are incredible on the Gerhardt albums. Plus you get the bonus of The Final Battle, which contains stuff written especially for the concert suite, and ROTJ's opening has material not heard on the OST as well. (Gerhardt's CE3K might just surpass the OST as well).

Wow, I'm surprised at the reactions to the Gerhardt ESB re-recording. To me, it even surpasses the original and the sound quality is stunning. And I«ve never noticed a slower tempo on most of the tracks, quite the contrary. Any specific tracks you guys dislike?

I don't mind slower tempi, but with ESB (as far as I recall) it doesn't just sound slower, but it just drags. The orchestra sounds like they have a hard time keeping up with the note sheets (and yes, I know this is the usually brilliant NPO) and the recording makes it sound like they put the brass in front of the violins.

Gerhardt's EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I'm going to listen to this a bit more, but so far, I'm not feeling it. Han Solo and the Princess is nice, I like the way he's embellished it, but The Asteroid Field is a huge misfire, and sounds like chunks have been cut from it and randomly inserted. I'll give it another few tries, but I'm not impressed, which is a shame as I love his ROTJ.

Isn't the Asteroid Field Williams' own concert arrangement? I quite like it. It removes the thematic elements that would be out of place in a concert context.

Same here. That was actually the first version I heard of the piece (I think from a Pops record my dad had), and I think it works well as a standalone arrangement.

I love The Asteroid Field on the Skywalker Symphony album. It's been a long time since I listened to the Gerhardt, but I expect it's the same version. Thinking about it, I believe I even heard the piece live in concert several years ago.

I had all of the Gerhardt recordings at one time, but the Special Editions made them un-neccessary as far as I was concerned. I thought the performances were pretty good compared to the originals.

The concert version of "The Asteroid Field" strikes me as sort of a mixed bag. I like how the various motifs are developed in some parts, but I also get irritated by the snippets that feel like they were just thrown in helter-skelter. Of course, the only recording I have of the concert version is the Prague recording, which sounds just slightly worse than the LSO's performance of the original cue... :rolleyes:

The concert version of "The Asteroid Field" strikes me as sort of a mixed bag. I like how the various motifs are developed in some parts, but I also get irritated by the snippets that feel like they were just thrown in helter-skelter.

That's the thing. I was happily humming along to the actual theme bit, and it was coming up to the second statement ('Closer?!') and then cut away, then reprised the first statement followed by the rest of the final part. It just didn't fit right at all to me.

Yesterday I listened to Twilight Zone: The movie, and today after checking the Oscar Nominations and seeing Frank Langella being nominated I thought "I haven't listened Dracula in quite a while" so I listened to it.

Yes the Williams score. I love it... to me nothing beats 75-84 Williams. (Dracula is from 79 if I remember correctly). You should really try to get it.

Yeah, all I need is $2,000,000....Is there any talk of at least a re-issue?

EDIT: Oh, wow, "Sean's Theme" is fantastic.

EDIT 2: Hey, Joe, remember that motiv from "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" we were talking about? Did we mention "Anderton's Great Escape"?

Yeah, all I need is $2,000,000....Is there any talk of at least a re-issue?

The most money I ever paid for a CD was for Dracula. Good luck tracking it down for a reasonable price. I've given up trying to buy every JW score, since it's not possible unless you're literally a millionaire. Stick to the Amazon way, Nick. Just work on getting the in print stuff that can be found for $5 new.

2001north.gif

It's one of the best scores I've ever heard ... and it's not even used for the film (although Alex North did recycle some of it for another project)! About a month ago, I was in a giant electronics store and instead of the usual pop pusic, they played a film music compilation that had a track from North's 2001. For those who are familiar with the album, it was 'Space Station Docking' and the volume was deliciously loud. The atmosphere, when walking around the hi-fi department, was almost surreal.

Alex

2001north.gif

It's one of the best scores I've ever heard ... and it's not even used for the film (although Alex North did recycle some of it for another project)! About a month ago, I was in a giant electronics store and instead of the usual pop pusic, they played a film music compilation that had a track from North's 2001. For those who are familiar with the album, it was 'Space Station Docking' and the volume was deliciously loud. The atmosphere, when walking around the hi-fi department, was almost surreal.

Alex

Yes I agree, a great score. The last track on that disc is not from 2001, it was mistaken as a cue from the film but it's actually from the score to the TV Documentary Africa by Alex North.

Go to Intrada's site and order the original recordings, it's in mono but well worth it. Goldsmith did a great job but the original recording is much better.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5228/.f

2001north.gif

Alex

Some of it is really stunning. But I'm not sure what to think about the rest. If anything, it feels incomplete. I really like track with the soprano, the one you mentioned, and some material from "the dawn of a man" sequence. But overall it will always remain a splendid disc, with or without the original. Liner notes are top notch.

Karol

Basically North composed & recorded the first half of the film and that's where Kubrick told him to stop and that the rest of the film wouldn't require any music.

I know there may be some more detailed explanantions but that's the simple version, plus I don't have the liner notes in front of me.

SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE. I'm not convinced all of it "sounds" like Star Wars, particularly 'The Battle of Gall' but it's a fun listen. And 'The Destruction of Xizor's Palace' is greatness.

I actually listened to that score for the first time a few days ago. I liked it, but I do not think it exactly fits "Star Wars musical canon", if you get my meaning. I wonder what would have happened if John Williams said "Yes" to the ...producers?

Oh, and I had forgotten how fake the killer whale looked....

Well, I am off to listen to "War of the Worlds"....

2001north.gif

Alex

Some of it is really stunning. But I'm not sure what to think about the rest. If anything, it feels incomplete. I really like track with the soprano, the one you mentioned, and some material from "the dawn of a man" sequence. But overall it will always remain a splendid disc, with or without the original. Liner notes are top notch.

Karol

You know, I've always wondered what would have happened, if they unearthed that unused score and lo and behold it was the theme to Star Wars :D . Can you imagine how rocked our perception would be? Would we be able to believe it? Of course, it wouldn't have worked for 2001!

I love that North cd too. Great stuff to paint to.

The Mummy:

A great score by Goldsmith. It's my second favorite of his after TMP (though I only have a few JG soundtracks). Favorite cue is probably "The Camel Race." 4/5 stars

SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE. I'm not convinced all of it "sounds" like Star Wars, particularly 'The Battle of Gall' but it's a fun listen. And 'The Destruction of Xizor's Palace' is greatness.

I actually listened to that score for the first time a few days ago. I liked it, but I do not think it exactly fits "Star Wars musical canon", if you get my meaning. I wonder what would have happened if John Williams said "Yes" to the ...producers?

Yeah, I don't worry about it too much. I just listen to SOTE as a great piece of music, enjoy whatever Star Warsiness I can get out of it, and let the sheer goodness of the work take care of the rest. I love it.

Well, I have finished listening to "War of the Worlds", for the first time. To be honest, indy4, I do not know your problem with it. It was very different, but I loved it. This is an album that I imagine coming back to every once a while.

Today I listened to The Cowboys and Jaws 2. Two magical scores from Williams' prime. "The Catamaran Race" was the whole reason I wanted the Jaws 2 soundtrack when I first saw the movie as a kid. To this day, the best cue.

I listened to many scores today.

Hook (awesome)

War of the Worlds (awesome)

Super Metroid (pretty good with awesome highlights)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (awesome)

Milk, three times (I once thought it was pretty good, but it becomes more awesome with each listen)

Dick Tracy (awesome)

Dracula, courtesy of JWFan Diego (awesome)

And the day is not over yet....

2001north.gif

Alex

Buying that CD still ranks as one of the happiest moments in my CD-buying life. Not because it's an especial favorite of mine or anything -- though I do like it, quite a lot actually -- but because when I found it, I was just thumbing through the CD racks at some store, with a $20 bill burning a hole in my pocket and no particular thoughts as to what to buy with it.

Then I saw the North 2001, and was just stunned by its very existence. The movie had been a favorite of mine since I was a small child (so for about ten years, at that point), and the soundtrack was one of the first cassettes I ever bought, and I had no idea that anyone had written a score that Kubrick had rejected.

So, of course, I bought it, and felt like I knew a secret that nobody else knew. Ridiculous, of course, but it was fun ... so much so, in fact, that I still feel a little thrilled any time I see that somebody else has heard of and likes the music.

For the record, though, I'm glad Kubrick followed his own instincts and used the music he used. As wonderful as North's space-station music is, it ain't no "Blue Danube."

2001north.gif

Yes I agree, a great score. The last track on that disc is not from 2001, it was mistaken as a cue from the film but it's actually from the score to the TV Documentary Africa by Alex North.

Really? I thought North composed an alternate main theme for in case the first one wasn't good enough.

Some of it is really stunning. But I'm not sure what to think about the rest. If anything, it feels incomplete.

It is incomplete! At a given point, Kubrick told North that no more music was needed because the rest of the movie would exist out of ambience effects like heavy breathing, machine hum and so on. Well, you've read the liner notes.

For the record, though, I'm glad Kubrick followed his own instincts and used the music he used. As wonderful as North's space-station music is, it ain't no "Blue Danube."

It definitely wouldn't have been the same effect. The choice of using a classical waltz (and Also sprach Zarathustra) is pure genious.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (John Ottman)

Not bad at all. It has some fun stuff in it, but I'd have to listen to it a few more times. I can't say it's a score that instantly clicked.

Eraser (Alan Silvestri)

Didn't like it. The rock element doesn't work for me and if I want to hear Silvestri aping MV trends I'd much rather go for the Van Helsing variation.

The Sixth Sense (James Newton Howard)

Nice delicate score that has some lovely themes in it that are typicaly JNH melodies. Enjoyable.

Eraser (Alan Silvestri)

Didn't like it. The rock element doesn't work for me and if I want to hear Silvestri aping MV trends I'd much rather go for the Van Helsing variation.

Oh it's not that bad, you do have to admit "Kruger Escapes" is pretty good.

Doctor Who- Series 4

I always have a hard time with these "best of" compilations, especially in the first few listens, but overall this seems to be a good representation of Series 4. The only standout cue I can think of off the top of my head I really missed was the end of Turn Left with the old Series 3 action theme (BTW, anyone else realize that A Pressing Need to Save the World is a very slow statement of part of that theme? Very cool.). I love how several different statements of The Doctor Forever theme made it on, it just shows how much Gold used and varied the theme in really brilliant ways. Not to mention the Doctor's theme from Turn Left.