What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Battlestar Galactica Season 4

This is possibly my favorite album of all time. Not that there isn't better music out there, but every cue on the album is so satisfying, and 2 discs of them nonetheless. McCreary has outdone himself. It is beyond me how he is not being offered top rank jobs as opposed to TV pilots and C movies.

Favorites? "Assault on The Colony", "The Signal", "Diaspora Oratorio", and of course "Kara's Coordinates". The "All Along the Watchtower" quote in KC is amazing!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first disc of season 4 of Galactica is very hit and miss. Everything from Revelations is great, and I like the cue for the destruction of the resurrection hub, and the Someone To Watch Over Me cues are good too. But for the rest, I think McCreary tended to lean on the percussion riffs too much and a lot of it just blends together.

The near complete score for Daybreak on disc 2 is indeed quite wonderful. Well worth the price of the release alone.

A 13 track expanded version of Spider-Man 3's score, which could almost seem like an aborted OST (BTW thanks Corellian!). It's too bad Sony refused to release a proper score OST for this one. It definitely deserves it...I wonder what ever happened to the rumblings about Christopher Young wanting to release the complete score by some label like Intrada. I wonder if that is still going to happen or not. Honestly, I find myself enjoying Young's score more than Elfman's other two Spider-Man scores. I hope Young is able to work on Spider-Man 4 and 5.

Actually they're working on Spider-Man 4 right now, which is on its 2nd rewrite (so you know it's gonna suck). Sony hired a writer to pen 5 and 6 just recently, and if they can't get everyone back after 4 they're gonna use the two scripts for a franchise reboot (oh goodie).

What two pieces are on that CD, Marian? I would feel comfortable betting money on "Hungarian March" being one of them, but the other?

Ballet des sylphes and Menuet des follets, as "bonus tracks" on Karajan's spectacular recording of Symphonie fantastique. I may have heard the Hungarian March at some point...

The only Berlioz opera I have/know is Les Troyens - and still the only cue I remember from it is the one used in Star Trek First Contact.

You should listen to Bartok's opera, Bluebeard. That's fun. Or of course the Ring cycle. Assuming you're enjoying opera.

Or some Strauss!

A 13 track expanded version of Spider-Man 3's score, which could almost seem like an aborted OST (BTW thanks Corellian!). It's too bad Sony refused to release a proper score OST for this one. It definitely deserves it...I wonder what ever happened to the rumblings about Christopher Young wanting to release the complete score by some label like Intrada. I wonder if that is still going to happen or not. Honestly, I find myself enjoying Young's score more than Elfman's other two Spider-Man scores. I hope Young is able to work on Spider-Man 4 and 5.

I've heard some of the same material.

I briefly asked Christopher Young about a score release at a recent CD signing event at Dark Delicacies, and while he was a very gracious man, he said simply "not going to happen".

I suspect that this is probably a bit of a raw nerve with him, since much of the score he wrote was rewritten afterwards to use more of Danny Elfman's themes and style.

All through the project, he knew he was there because Danny Elfman and Sam Raimi had a bad experience on Film II, and Danny refused to work with him on the third.

One of the reasons they may not have put out a score CD may be due to the perception that the transitions between Danny's and Chris's material sounded a little awkward, and didn't quite mesh.

I personally don't quite see it that way, but that perception is out there.

The first disc of season 4 of Galactica is very hit and miss. Everything from Revelations is great, and I like the cue for the destruction of the resurrection hub, and the Someone To Watch Over Me cues are good too. But for the rest, I think McCreary tended to lean on the percussion riffs too much and a lot of it just blends together.

The near complete score for Daybreak on disc 2 is indeed quite wonderful. Well worth the price of the release alone.

I enjoyed pretty much the entirety of both discs, and place a slightly higher mark on disc one.

But there is so much great material, and this has yet to leave my car CD player.

Loch Ness by Trevor Jones.

Very underated in my opinion. Never see it mentioned at all anywhere, but it's a fabulous listen. Really makes you think of the Scottish Highlands. Wonderful main theme too! :)

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Scott of the Antarctic (the Chandos edition)

Magnificent in every way. A masterpiece, just like the wonderful Sinfonia Antartica, which is based on this score.

Never see it mentioned at all anywhere, but it's a fabulous listen. Really makes you think of the Scottish Highlands.

No way does it make you think that more than Braveheart! Or Highlander!

Would you say its as successful as Coronation Street* when it comes to depicting a region within the British Isles?

*Greater Manchester

Never see it mentioned at all anywhere, but it's a fabulous listen. Really makes you think of the Scottish Highlands.

Would you say its as successful as Coronation Street* when it comes to depicting a region within the British Isles?

*Greater Manchester

Not sure. I don't really think the theme for Coronation Street makes me think of anywhere, it's an awful tune!

Or An Everlasting Piece, or Moll Flanders, or Cinderella Man.

Loch Ness has a slight feel of the Scottish Highlands to it. Not as much as other scores but there's still a certain flavor to it.

Alexander Courage - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

It's definitely a fine work, but I can't help myself - the saxophone solo in Lacy's Theme will never stop sounding just a bit too cheesy to me. :) And it always reminds me of a similar musical idea in OHMSS. :)

Patton

My second favorite Goldsmith after TMP. It's so short on CD it really leaves you wanting more, but the film is so perfectly spotted and that's more important.

Earth Days by Michael Giacchino

A really great score by Giacchino. 2009 is probably his best year of film scoring, with Star Trek, Up, Land Of The Lost, Lost: Season 5 and this. One of his few purely dramatic scores, the other one really only being The Family Stone. This can be described as the quieter and dramatic parts of Lost though. Some parts are really reminiscent of "Parting Words."

It's been a long while since I posted here, so in the last 10 days or so I've listened to:

Star Trek 2

Pee Wee's Big Adventure/Back to School

Mission Impossible

First Knight

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Batman

Star Wars Trilogy CD (added "Han Solo and the Princess" from the Gerhardt Empire recording cause it really bugs me that it isn't on the CD)

Willow

The Mummy

Harry Poter & SS

Not film scores, but been listening to the first three Foo Fighters records again after downloading some of their track on Rock Band. I've missed them a lot, and am glad to have them back in my life. Controversial, but maybe Kurt did die for a reason.

That score kicks ass.

I used part of Waterloo in something made by the film society at work: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Apx1kjegolE (I'm the guy on the right in the 'cafe' :pukeface: - and bear in mind that we had about 7 hours to plan, shoot and edit the whole thing)

Speaking of that, I always put score music in my team's film and we've made 3 of them now (the second one is here, third is here). Lots of music editing in that last one that isn't strictly necessary, but as an editing fanatic, I like to use these to show what I can do.

I used part of Waterloo in something made by the film society at work: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Apx1kjegolE (I'm the guy on the right in the 'cafe' :pukeface: - and bear in mind that we had about 7 hours to plan, shoot and edit the whole thing)

I was about say that line at the end was terrible but then noticed it was one of the rules.

Angela's Ashes: The solo harp piece transcends film music. Play it on classical radio and people will be phoning the radio station to ask who the composer is. I kid you not.

Alex

That's possible. But is it even in the film? I don't remember there being much music. Only countless piano statements of the main theme...

Karol - who is listening now to A.I. (first time in quite a few years).

Angela's Ashes: The solo harp piece transcends film music. Play it on classical radio and people will be phoning the radio station to ask who the composer is. I kid you not.

Alex

I agree completely. The Lanes of Limerick even though it was not in the film, is one of the many highlights of a beautiful album.

:) Merlin's Wisdom/Merlin's Death from the Mists of Avalon by Lee Holdridge

None But the Brave (Johnny Williams :))

The main theme decent but a bit on the simple side, and there's an interesting mix of the comic writings of Williams' early scores and the more dramatic work he'd soon move to. I heard bits that reminded me of Hook and Dracula, among others. I bet the technical musical folks will have a field day studying this score and tracing Williams' growth, but for me it's a nice bit of early Williams to have.

Got a good workout to the tune of ROTJ this morning. Funnily enough, I didn't listen to Lapti Nek.

Tonight I did TOD and LC, the old E.T., Home Alone 2, Minority Report, Amistad and JFK.

"Sean" by Agatha is one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard.

War of the Worlds.

This was my first time listening to this score and it was actually pretty good. This score is probably done best in small dosages. You really have to concentrate on the music.

Tonight I did TOD, Minority Report

Hey, so did I! How is the old E.T. album, am I correct in thinking that it is a re-recording? I am not sure whether to trust Amazon.com reviews, not after Jaws....

"Sean" by Agatha is one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard.

Perhaps not the most moving, but I do agree that it can be tear-inducing sometimes. It reminds me a bit of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, actually. It also contains perhaps my favorite statement of what is called the "Mystery Motif".

War of the Worlds.

You really have to concentrate on the music.

You do at first, but the score has many rewards in store after you "dig beneath the surface", I think.

The Portait of a Lady by Wojciech Kilar: This is the first time I listened to this score (which I have meant to listen to for along time) and I was flabbergasted by the fact that this wonderful, emotional and lyrical score has escaped my notice for so long. Absolutely gorgeous. Strings are featured in a prominent role throughout the score and Kilar truly utilizes them in the most beautiful and dramatic fashion. There is a sense of classical elegance about this music that blends well with the three Schubert pieces that are placed in the middle of the album. I know very little about the composer but I can hear some minimalistic influences in his very lyrical repeating figures on which he builds his cues that I remember e.g. from Dracula. A truly pleasant surprise of a score :rolleyes:

How is the old E.T. album, am I correct in thinking that it is a re-recording? I am not sure whether to trust Amazon.com reviews, not after Jaws....

It's one of my favorites. Yes, it is a re-recording. It's required JW listening, most especially if you're a fan of E.T. It has 40 or so minutes or unique music including the definitive versions (as I consider them) of "Flying" and "Over the Moon", as well as "E.T. and Me" (which was the basis for "Stargazers"). You also get expanded/unique recordings of the opening scene and chase, Halloween and "E.T. Is Alive". But the big highlight for me is "Adventure on Earth", which is basically a re-recording of the "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" 15 minute finale suite, but NOT as it is on the film recording albums that feature an alternate version of "Saying Goodbye". One of the mega highlights of the E.T. score. It's actually fairly close to the film recording to my ears but with slight differences, some wonderful. Little nuances and things as JW is known for that make it unique. It's JW's absolute best track on CD as far as I'm concerned. Get the CD, by the way.

The Portait of a Lady by Wojciech Kilar: This is the first time I listened to this score (which I have meant to listen to for along time) and I was flabbergasted by the fact that this wonderful, emotional and lyrical score has escaped my notice for so long. Absolutely gorgeous. Strings are featured in a prominent role throughout the score and Kilar truly utilizes them in the most beautiful and dramatic fashion. There is a sense of classical elegance about this music that blends well with the three Schubert pieces that are placed in the middle of the album. I know very little about the composer but I can hear some minimalistic influences in his very lyrical repeating figures on which he builds his cues that I remember e.g. from Dracula. A truly pleasant surprise of a score :)

I think I have that somewhere... should listen to it again. Kilar certainly has some strong minimalistic influences, see Dracula and the similar (though I like it better) Ninth Gate - or the 20-minute Bolero (the Ravel one)-like Exodus.

The Boys from Brazil

Hmmm...interesting. I bought this blind, as I do many Goldsmiths, and had no idea what the score sounded like. After a few cues I was scrambling for the liner notes, as it's not at all what I was expecting. It didn't grab me the way a lot of other Goldsmith's have. More listens required.

Star Treks V, FC, Insurrection, and Nemesis

Not much to say that I haven't many times before. V and First Contact are fantastic, Nemesis is very good and generally underrated (love Steef's signature about it), and Insurrection is...OK.

I heard the music from Poltergeist on Family Guy so thats what I've been listening to this week.

The Boys from Brazil

Hmmm...interesting. I bought this blind, as I do many Goldsmiths, and had no idea what the score sounded like. After a few cues I was scrambling for the liner notes, as it's not at all what I was expecting. It didn't grab me the way a lot of other Goldsmith's have. More listens required.

I bought this blind, too, and then had to look up on Wikipedia what the movie was about. I didn't have the liner notes with me at the time. I hear bits in it that sound like Alien, and it's good, but it'll need more listens, too. The subject matter seems heavy handed to use such a light waltz for, so I'll have to read those notes.

What ticks me off, though, is that everytime I hear the main waltz, I think of the swinging baskets from Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Why not? In Pirates 2, Zimmer steals from Goldsmith, and I swear he stole the love theme in Pirates 3 from Last of the Mohicans. He read about stealing from himself and decided to branch out.

I've bought the previous 1 cd release of Boys from Brazil and I would assume this should be enough music from this score for now. Is the complete edition really worth it?

The Portait of a Lady by Wojciech Kilar: This is the first time I listened to this score (which I have meant to listen to for along time) and I was flabbergasted by the fact that this wonderful, emotional and lyrical score has escaped my notice for so long. Absolutely gorgeous. Strings are featured in a prominent role throughout the score and Kilar truly utilizes them in the most beautiful and dramatic fashion. There is a sense of classical elegance about this music that blends well with the three Schubert pieces that are placed in the middle of the album. I know very little about the composer but I can hear some minimalistic influences in his very lyrical repeating figures on which he builds his cues that I remember e.g. from Dracula. A truly pleasant surprise of a score :)

My favourite Kilar's score. I am amazed that it was completely overlooked during award season back then.

My favourite Kilar's score. I am amazed that it was completely overlooked during award season back then.

Strangely enough, I haven't heard a note of it. And I'm generally well acquainted with his works.

Karol

I'm listening to Navajo Joe at the moment - terrific stuff! I think Tarantino's selections for Inglourious Basterds has tipped me into the Morricone fan base, I've been on the lookout for more of his stuff, just picked up the expanded Good, Bad and Ugly after catching the opening of the film on cable. Say what you will about Tarantino's use of music, but if it sends me off to find classics such as these then it's a job well done in my book.

I've bought the previous 1 cd release of Boys from Brazil and I would assume this should be enough music from this score for now. Is the complete edition really worth it?

It probably depends on how much of a Goldsmith completionist you are. I've only listened to the first disc a couple times, and then don't listen to the 20 minute suite immediately afterwards. The single CD is probably enough.

John Crichton, did you notice any clipping in particular tracks? Maybe I need to re-rip mine, but on some of the low brass notes in Track 4 (as far as I am today) I hear what sounds like clipping or muffled sound.

The Boys from Brazil

I bought this blind, too, and then had to look up on Wikipedia what the movie was about. I didn't have the liner notes with me at the time. I hear bits in it that sound like Alien, and it's good, but it'll need more listens, too. The subject matter seems heavy handed to use such a light waltz for, so I'll have to read those notes.

What ticks me off, though, is that everytime I hear the main waltz, I think of the swinging baskets from Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Why not? In Pirates 2, Zimmer steals from Goldsmith, and I swear he stole the love theme in Pirates 3 from Last of the Mohicans. He read about stealing from himself and decided to branch out.

You mean Alien sounded like it, because clearly Boys from Brazil came three years before Alien. Still as I've said Goldsmith steals from himself as much as Horner does, though for some reason he always gets a pass.

You can hear parts in Matinee that you could hear in Boys From Brazil that you might have heard in Star Trek the Motion Picture, or Poltergeist, or either Gremlins.

btw I love the music from Boys from Brazil

You know what I meant, but I listened to Alien years before I ever heard of The Boys from Brazil. I can't help it I'm not as old as you, and am picking up on Goldsmith out of order. :)

:) Earth Days - Giacchino

Poltergeist - Goldsmith

Poltergeist II - Goldsmith

Flyers/Fire On The Mountain - Poledouris

First Blood - Goldsmith

The Escape Artist - Delerue

John Crichton, did you notice any clipping in particular tracks? Maybe I need to re-rip mine, but on some of the low brass notes in Track 4 (as far as I am today) I hear what sounds like clipping or muffled sound.

No, but I'll listen for it next time.

There's a motif in the last part of the score that sounds like a carbon copy of the first part of the main theme from The Wind and the Lion.

I'm listening to Navajo Joe at the moment - terrific stuff! I think Tarantino's selections for Inglourious Basterds has tipped me into the Morricone fan base, I've been on the lookout for more of his stuff, just picked up the expanded Good, Bad and Ugly after catching the opening of the film on cable. Say what you will about Tarantino's use of music, but if it sends me off to find classics such as these then it's a job well done in my book.

Win-win in my book. The music he uses always fits, and it introduces people to scores they might have otherwise never heard of.