• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:music: Where Eagles Dare - Goodwin

The Black Hole - Barry

Brainstorm - Horner

Breakout - Goldsmith

The Empire Strikes Back - Williams

"What on Earth have you been drinking?" "Hee, hee, hee, what's he been smokin'?"

Nail on head time. "Brainstorm" was the second Horner score that I bought (following "Star Trek II"), and will ALWAYS be my favourite Horner score (although "The Name Of The Rose" comes a very close second). It also sounds like a million dollars, especially since it was recorded direct to 2-track. Simply stunning. I salivate at the thought of how good a nicely remastered disc would sound. An essential addition to anyone's film music collection.

"What on Earth have you been drinking?" "Hee, hee, hee, what's he been smokin'?"

"NOBODY locks me out" :music:

Yeah, Brainstorm is a special score indeed. Dear to me.

Who can't love a combination in a score of beautiful tenderness,snarling splatting brass in action sequences and some truly terrifying sounds portraying psychosis and other realms from the orchestra when you're listening to it on headphones.

Oh yes, last score listened to? Capricorn one, if memory serves.

The

while I made Hummus in the kitchen one day.

I bet Jerry never envisioned his score being used to score Hummus preperation.

John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy

I have to be honest and say I never listened to the album entirely before(not in one sitting, at least), as I would skip come Tracks such as "Star Wars-Main Theme", "Cantina Band", and "Throne Room and Finale". Upon now listening to the entire Disk, I can say with certainty that I have no regrets purchasing it. The performances are very good, save a few mistakes here and there, and I also would have preferred some faster tempi, "Forest Battle" coming to mind. The album has a very nice flow, not becoming too repetitive or too disjointed. Ultimately, a wonderful summation of the first three Star Wars scores. Oh, and what in the name of Sweet Golly Moses were those sound effects at the end of "Cantina Band" for?

They don't. But get yourself Much Ado About Nothing ASAP, it's awesome. Also one of my favourite movies, and one of the most brilliantly spotted overtures ever to appear on film.

i like the sound effects

I do too. And how can anyone in his right mind skip Throne Room?

Henry V

Man, I love this score. If the rest of the Doyle/Branagh collaborations sound like this I need to get them, stat.

Actually, they are not at all bad. "Much Ado..." is stirring, strident, and sensitive, by turns, and reeks of testosterone, "Dead Again" is a not bad noir pastiche, and "Frankenstein"...oops, sorry, "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein"...oops, sorry, "Kenneth Brannah's Mary Shelly's Frankestein" (!) is...well...gothic, and my favourite of the scores that I have mentioned. Happy listening!

Frankenstein certainly doesn't sell itself short. And I notice it's been a few months since I last mentioned that it has one of the best love themes ever written. Dead Again also is quite overblown, but very good (also my first Branagh film... and wonderfully overblown in its own right). The icy melancholy and restraint of Hamlet can make it a difficult listen, but also give it a very haunting quality. Love's Labour's Lost doesn't have that much score, but what's there is very fine (and the songs are nice, too). Only As You Like It never did much to me (like the movie I'm afraid... I should give it a second try).

As for Much Ado, I really think someone should to a lecture or a book about the overture. It's big, memorable, perfectly (like a full-blown opera ouverture) introduces and juxtaposes a whole array of main themes, and at the same time perfectly syncs up to a four-and-a-half minute sequence of just visuals and music which is the perfect setup for the rest of the movie. The entire score must be among the most operatic I've heard, with the themes and harmonics in the wedding scene being a particular standout. Not to forget Doyle's usual share of songs. In fact, I'm beginning to think he should write a real opera.

I recommend Sleuth.

That's very interesting score indeed. I am, however, amazed how cold the reception of As You Like it is. I find it truly charming.

I was seriously disappointed by AYLI, film and score. Not that they were bad, but so far I found them sadly uninteresting.

Sleuth was good. Didn't seem to be enough material though to make an interesting album, but I might be wrong.

North By Northwest - Herrmann

I saw a youtube video recently of Stromberg conducting Mysterious Island - "The Giant Crab" to be specific - and instantly appreciated the music and the performance. That'll be going on my next SAE order!

...You should get it as soon as you can! Like John Williams' Jane Eyre, this score immerses one into the countryside of Yorkshire in a way that one usually does not hear save for the works of those such as Elgar and Vaughan-Williams (which, as you probably know by now, joey225, is not at all surprising for Herrmann). Apparently this recording is not too bad, and it is rather cheap. You may or may not want to go for the original soundtrack recording, though.

The Incredibles

I know this is one of Giacchino's most popular scores here, but it's really not one of my favorites. I've never been much of a Bond/Barry person, I guess that has something to do with it. It's not bad, but not one I listen to very often.

BTW, I've heard there's a quote of an MOH motif in there, but I haven't been able to pick it out. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The Incredibles

I know this is one of Giacchino's most popular scores here, but it's really not one of my favorites. I've never been much of a Bond/Barry person, I guess that has something to do with it. It's not bad, but not one I listen to very often.

BTW, I've heard there's a quote of an MOH motif in there, but I haven't been able to pick it out. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1:26 Lithe or Death

The complete score for The Matrix Revolutions.

Awesome score from start to finish. I love everything mostly from "Niobe's Run" to "Why, Mr. Anderson?" the most. Don Davis did an outstanding job for this score...well not only for this one but for all three scores for The Matrix Trilogy.

Grant I do have the OST's for all three including Varèse's Deluxe Edition of The Matrix (first one) but even then those versions of the scores have a lot of good material left off from from them. It's hard to not want to listen to the complete versions of all three scores.

The Incredibles

1:26 Lithe or Death

Ah yes. Much obliged.

...You should get it as soon as you can! Like John Williams' Jane Eyre, this score immerses one into the countryside of Yorkshire in a way that one usually does not hear save for the works of those such as Elgar and Vaughan-Williams (which, as you probably know by now, joey225, is not at all surprising for Herrmann). Apparently this recording is not too bad, and it is rather cheap. You may or may not want to go for the original soundtrack recording, though.

I can totally vouch for the re-recording. I don't think the original recording contained any renditions of Rochester's theme, that makes such an impact on the suite.

I also believe that there is some sort of music box cue featured on the re-recording that was not featured in the original album (albeit played with a synthesizer, is that correct?), but that seems somewhat trivial. And thanks for the recommendation, I will probably purchase that recording soon.

The Missouri Breaks:

From the first cue ("Main Title") I was afraid this was afraid that this was going to be another Cinderella Liberty. Thankfully, I was incorrect. While the pop influences are there, I find this score much more listenable and enjoyable than CL. It's strongest moment is the love theme, but I like the more hoe-down-ish pieces (eg "Celebration") as well. Once more, I am enlightened to a whole other side of the maestro's always surprising abilities.

The Missouri Breaks:

From the first cue ("Main Title") I was afraid this was afraid that this was going to be another Cinderella Liberty. Thankfully, I was incorrect. While the pop influences are there, I find this score much more listenable and enjoyable than CL. It's strongest moment is the love theme, but I like the more hoe-down-ish pieces (eg "Celebration") as well. Once more, I am enlightened to a whole other side of the maestro's always surprising abilities.

I wish it was more like Cinderella Liberty, though the movie is of different genre and takes place in different time. Cinderella Liberty is among my favourite JW's scores, while Missouri Breaks is among my least favourite. Main theme and the love theme are nice, but nothing special. Rest of the music is tolerable at most.

Romeo and Juliet - Nino Rota

What a score. I own the rerecording, but I enjoy it very much. The love theme is fittingly beautiful and tragic. While it is written for a different medium than say Prokofiev's or Tchaik's R&J I greatly prefer it - especially to Tchaik's.

Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman

I do love Waxman, but having never heard this before the Kritzerland release I have to say I was left disapointed after the massive hype. It honestly is exciting and the Wishing Star theme is beautiful (and definitely the highlight) but I was just left wanting more. Hopefully that Tadlow recording happens - I can see this being a score I'll grow to appreciate more.

Tribute to a Bad Man - Miklos Rozsa

Just received this today, along with Taras Bulba. I really enjoy Rozsa's take on the American Western. The score is wonderful! Does anyone know if his other Western was ever released?

The Informant. Marvin Hamlisch is back after 13 years and comes up with a joyous score. It's wonderfully oldschool, in a vein of the 60s (Mancini comes to mind) and - while it's not my favourite type of music - I can't help but enjoy its cheerfulness.

Return Of The Jedi: The Gerhardt version. I didn't like or enjoy it one bit. I'm so Star Warzed out.

Earthquake: Close to genius!

Alex

An interesting way of describing "Earthquake", Alex. What exactly do you like about it? I'm not trying to be cynical, or sarcastic, I'm merely seeking your opinion. I find there is much to enjoy in this score (the middle "trio" section of "Miles On Wheels", "Something For Rosa/Remy", "City Theme"), but on the whole, it gets a "3" rating from me. BTW, have you heard the version of "City Theme" on "The 'Disasters' Album"? If you want to talk "Cinderella Liberty"; now that IS close to genius.

For Your Eyes Only. I know that many dislike it, but I absolutely LOVE it, it's a great 007 score. Very different than other 007 scores of course, but also very great in my eyes (and even more, in my ears ;)). My favourite tracks are Ski...Shoot...Jump... and Runaway.

An interesting way of describing "Earthquake", Alex. What exactly do you like about it?

I know this music is "close to genius" because, if I was in an elevator and this was the music playing through the speaker, I would not step out until the last track was over. :)

"Miles On Wheels"

Brilliant! Why doesn't he write like that anymore?!

"Something For Rosa/Remy"

Anyone who can beat Burt Bacharach at his own game must be a genius.

Alex

The DaVinci Code - Zimmer

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this score. Some of it reminds me of his Batman material, but overall I think that this is a pretty cool and classy score.

Listened to Giacchino's Land of the Lost for the first time since my initial purchase and listen, and enjoyed it quite a bit more. A good fun run of the mill Giacchino score.

:) - The Legendary Beast, Final Fantasy VIII