What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not scores, but today I listened to Williams' American Journey and then I listen some Buddy Holly songs since today is the 50th anniversary of the "day that music died", very tragic story.

Music of the Night: Pops on Broadway:

A great listen. My favorites would have to be Everything's Coming Up Roses" and the two Andrew Lloyd Webber pieces. Absolutely fantastic, performed marvelously by the Boston Pops. I'm not very familiar with the theatre, but this is a nice window into a world that I feel I really ought to know more about. 4/5 stars

Andrew Lloyd Webber is "hit-and-miss" for me. Being a stagehand, I am often subjected to "showtunes" backstage in the dressing room, and I can say that I absolutely hate Cats, though I think Phantom of the Opera is very good.

Composer compilations seem to be a very 90's thing. I'm not that into the first volume, but the second one is one of the best compilations I know of. It's got real personality in the way it's constructed. That, and it's a good way to check out some scores of Elfman's that are OOP and hard to find, like Black Beauty (which is marvelous).

I have bought it recently and I agree. The amount of good material is astounding, especially that I didn't have any of the scores before. There is also a great deal of stuff that I have never heard before, like aforementioned Black Beauty. There is also Sommersby that I like even more - I almost forgot how good this one was. The real jewel, however, is a demo track of This is Halloween sung by Elfman alone - it's truly a one man's band show, like he says in the (great) liner notes.

Stripes by Elmer Bernstein

This was so great! I had been hearing it on Cinemagic on XM somewhat often recently, and the theme would always get stuck in my head. I really wanted to get the CD, but was worried that it would get repetitive and redundant... but that is SO not the case. The whole 40 minute CD is a great listen! I love all 3 themes!

Matrix Reloaded (Complete) by Don Davis

Good stuff all around :)

Now if we could only a release of Bernstein's Airplane!.

Kushiro Marshland - Akira Ifukube

Wanpaku - The Little Prince Slays The Eight Headed Dragon - Akira Ifukube

The Birth Of Japan - Alira Ifukube

Music for the Mitsubishi Pavilion Expo'70 - Akira Ifukube

Musik für Sie!:

'Tis the 4th compilation album in a row I've listened to, and it was enjoyable. "El Camino Real" is especially awesome, one of the best classical pieces I've ever heard (though I haven't heard many). 3/5 stars

The wonderful soundtrack to FALLOUT 3.

Too bad there really are only 3 score cues in the game, it's some good stuff. As for the awesome source songs, I'm lovin' them. I can't get enough of Butcher Pete, and the other jazz songs are great.

Kushiro Marshland - Akira Ifukube

Wanpaku - The Little Prince Slays The Eight Headed Dragon - Akira Ifukube

The Birth Of Japan - Alira Ifukube

Music for the Mitsubishi Pavilion Expo'70 - Akira Ifukube

Wowsa! I'd love to hear those!

Now listening to KING KONG. I like both of Kong's themes, and it's usually exciting and occasionally breathtaking when they make an appearance, but a lot of it just seems like atmospheric music that doesn't grab me. At least on its own, it works very well in the film.

I decided to give Twister a spin (no pun intended) earlier tonight. I had forgotten how good that score is. I hope it gets a complete release one day as there are a few cues missing from it. Also the channels need to be swapped properly, not sure how the label for the CD missed that one.

The Last Of The Mohicans by Trevor Jones

Superb score. I think I hear a little Mozart weaved in there. Anyone else pick that up?

Other than that, a little bit of everything. Oh, Vangelis stole from Powell and Gregson-Williams with Bagoa's Dance from Alexander. :D

last nite on my drive home from my 3 day weekend i listened to parts from the soundtracks to Signs, Towering Inferno, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Real Genius, Live and Let Die, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

The Nightmare Before Christmas:

I used to think this to be Elfman's greatest score, and it has shot down a lot since then. I still really like it, just not as much as I thought I did. The songs are the pride of the score, and most of the underscore is uninteresting. Overall, it was a very good score. 4/5 stars

The Nightmare Before Christmas:

I used to think this to be Elfman's greatest score,

It is hard for me to decide. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. The Kingdom is not on the Best Of List, though, that is certain....

Most of the underscore is uninteresting.

Spoken like a true "Musical Follower".

I prefer Nightmare. But, then again, I'm not the biggest fan of early Elfman. He's very fun back then, but I find him more interesting in later scores.

Mission: Impossible 3. Still busy and underwhelming. There are a couple of cues I really like. Still don't think it holds a candle to Elfman's.

I've been a rock mood recently, so a lot of the old favorites: Beatles, Zeppelin, and Dreamtheater (Images & Words is such a great album!)

Doesn't do it for me. My favorite cue in the film is the first by Giacchino, 'Fctory Rescue'. It's the onlt action cue in it that doesn't strike me as too busy.

I'm not quite sure when I fell in love with Elfman's score. But I think it's a masterpiece, the best thing he's ever done, and one of my absolute favorites. One of those scores that can be called 'rich in detail'. I rarely find myself finding the richness. This one fascinates and thrills me.

I prefer Nightmare. But, then again, I'm not the biggest fan of early Elfman. He's very fun back then, but I find him more interesting in later scores.

I love his earlier work, but I think he has improved with time and experience, as well, Morlock. Unfortunately, that opinion is not held by many, it would seem, as his recent scores tend to require multiple listens to appreciate (for me, anyways).

Mission: Impossible 3. Still busy and underwhelming. There are a couple of cues I really like. Still don't think it holds a candle to Elfman's.

I agree.

I've been a rock mood recently, so a lot of the old favorites: Beatles, Zeppelin, and Dreamtheater (Images & Words is such a great album!)

Have fun with that!

Oh, and I have been listening to Sleepy Hollow for the last twenty minutes or so. This goes "hand in hand" with what I said earlier about the whole "multiple listen" thing.

Oh, and I have been listening to Sleepy Hollow for the last twenty minutes or so. This goes "hand in hand" with what I said earlier about the whole "multiple listen" thing.

Indeed. It is a great score, though.

I'm not quite sure when I fell in love with Elfman's score. But I think it's a masterpiece, the best thing he's ever done, and one of my absolute favorites. One of those scores that can be called 'rich in detail'. I rarely find myself finding the richness. This one fascinates and thrills me.

One of my favorite moments of the score is the nauseating string glissandi in "Mole Hunt". It never fails to make me feel a bit "queasy".

Indeed. It is a great score, though.

Oh, I know. It sounds like random noise at first, but you really appreciate Danny Elfman's masterful chaos upon later listens. Kind of Hellboy II: The Golden Army, actually....

I find myself losing focus when I try to listen to it all the way through. Also, nothing in the album thrills me as much as the Main Credits...one of Elfman's best, and he's darn good and main credits (I often put on Red Dragon just to see the credits).

The best part of Elfman's Impossible is "Betrayal."

I love that one, too. I also love the brass motiv that begins "Train Time". I am in the mood to listen to that score now, I think I will do so after Sleepy Hollow (currently on Track 10).

The Nightmare Before Christmas is, and always will be, Elfman's best score.

no hardly.

Edward Scissorhands is much better.

I find myself losing focus when I try to listen to it all the way through. Also, nothing in the album thrills me as much as the Main Credits...one of Elfman's best, and he's darn good and main credits (I often put on Red Dragon just to see the credits).

Have you listened to the whole thing at least once? If so, then you completed the first step to appreciating a (somewhat) modern Elfman score. Of course, you could just not like this one. Man, are those violins chiilling!

The best part of Elfman's Impossible is "Betrayal."

I think it is all of great quality. Both the intricate stuff with layered orechstration, and the relatively straight forward stuff. So few scores can thrill me with such a low decibel level and sustained mood and tension...'Looking for Job' builds momentum very slowly and gently, without getting louder, and it's one of my favorite cues ever. When Elfman's terrific theme (which ends perfectly with a Schifrin theme) come in at 2:47, I get goosebumps. It's so good, yet so quiet and consistant.

Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer complete score. I know I've said this before but I really do enjoy this score, much better than the first Fantastic Four score.

I've never given the score a real listen. But I am fond of the Silver Surfer theme. The main theme from the first one, too. Very simple, but effective.