John Williams and the Academy Awards

Trumpeteer

In no way do I want to jinx his chances, but when the Academy Award nominations are announced on Jan. 22, it could be the first time in 16 years that John Williams is not nominated for writing an original score.

In 1992, Williams wrote "Far and Away" and "Home Alone 2." He was not one of the five nominees. Every year since then, if he has written an original score, he has been nominated at least once.

This is assuming "Crystal Skull" is deemed to be an original work by Academy standards. Way too many previous themes for me to consider it original enough, but I am not an Academy member and do not have access to the list of scores eligible this year. So I don't even know if voters can even consider it when voting.

Just wanted to give you that piece of trivia.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's very likely Williams will be nominated.

The eligibility of the score for the use of previously written material is not a problem per se, as Academy rules are very inconsistent and always subject to change.

If he is nominated it will be for one/or either of two reasons.

1. He's a given.

2. Its been a crap year for movie music.

That is about as far as the debate goes.

If he goes on to win it, I'll eat my hat.

ToD used the Raiders March waaaay more than KotCS did. Other than that, there's the two Ark theme quotes, Henry's theme, and the WotW rip. But because of the huge amount of music written for the film, I still think that there's enough original material to get a nomination.

When the controversy of Two Towers erupted, Williams withdrew AOTC from eligibility. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same thing with KOTCS.

ToD used the Raiders March waaaay more than KotCS did. Other than that, there's the two Ark theme quotes, Henry's theme, and the WotW rip.

There's not just themes. There's several direct quotes from Raiders, orchestration and all. That's a much bigger problem.

True:

direct quotes:

Indy Theme in the Warehouse (Flight from Peru)

To Peru (Flight from Peru)

WoW quote

Granpa' laughing at us (DIRECTLY from TLC)

Indy 4 is really not a score to be nominated.. it is nothing special

and it hasn't been nominated for the Golden Globes?

True:

direct quotes:

Those two are different between themselves. THEN at least one has to be a different version than Raiders'

Both cues excerpt Raiders with very little alteration. Obviously the amount of music excerpted and the transitions between it and the new score are different.

True:

direct quotes:

Those two are different between themselves. THEN at least one has to be a different version than Raiders'

No not true.

both Indy 4 tracks copy two different parts from flight from peru

To me, the excerpt of "Flight from Peru" is justifiable in "Journey to Akaktor" (why is it called that?), considering the circumstances.

Yeah, much like Departure from Coruscant in TPM used in ROTS when Yoda is going to Kashyyyk.

KOTCS does not deserve a nomination. Non of the prequel scores received nominations so I seriously doubt this one will.

And to answer Miss Padme, no it did not receive a Golden Globe nomination.

KOTCS does not deserve a nomination.

What scores were better than it this year?

And to answer Miss Padme, no it did not receive a Golden Globe nomination.

Neither did any of the original scores.

I think it's very likely Williams will be nominated.

The eligibility of the score for the use of previously written material is not a problem per se, as Academy rules are very inconsistent and always subject to change.

Agreed!

KOTCS does not deserve a nomination. Non of the prequel scores received nominations so I seriously doubt this one will.

:|

When the controversy of Two Towers erupted, Williams withdrew AOTC from eligibility. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same thing with KOTCS.

Ballots have been sent to Academy members today. So, if he wanted to withdraw the score, it won't be on the list of eligible scores the Music Branch voters pick from this year.

Does anyone know if the score is on the list of eligible scores? (Is there an Academy member on the forum?) And yes, this is a crappy year for music. Besides the score from "Slumdog Millionaire"and in a small way, the score to "WALL-E," music hasn't been very interesting in 2008. So, we just might see John's name on the list.

Ballots have been sent to Academy members today. So, if he wanted to withdraw the score, it won't be on the list of eligible scores the Music Branch voters pick from this year.

Does anyone know if the score is on the list of eligible scores? (Is there an Academy member on the forum?) And yes, this is a crappy year for music. Besides the score from "Slumdog Millionaire"and in a small way, the score to "WALL-E," music hasn't been very interesting in 2008. So, we just might see John's name on the list.

KotCS is not JW's best work, but compared with other composer's works, it's still a great score.

KotCS deserves to be nominated.

There's a good chance the Oscars will mirror the Golden Globes best score list. Although it wouldn't suprise me if Wall-E was added to the Oscars in place of one of the Globe nominees.

then think again! :|

even if it deserves a nomination... it doesn't deserve a win

You sound like you don't want him to win this year, Miss Padme!

And anyway, whether the scores deserves a nomination/win or not ... is that even the point?

John Williams didn't win so many times in the past although he deserved to (think of Azkaban, Memoirs, Raiders, etc). It's not like the Academy always gives an Oscar to the most deserving score, you know. So as a big JW fan, I hope he gets nominated and I hope he wins.

There, I said it!

Well, I hope he wins.

I felt so bad for him in 2002, when he didn't win for Harry Potter OR A.I.

Did you see it? He just finished conducting the orchestra, and when they announced the winner, he looked very sad... :|

Well, I hope he wins.

Did you see it? He just finished conducting the orchestra, and when they announced the winner, he looked very sad... :|

??? I have that on tape and he doesn't look sad.. on my version.

He looks somehow unmotivated when he lost in 2005 for HP 3 POA

and in 2001 Lord of the Rings deserved to win by all means

:|

OK, I have nothing more to say to you! ;)

Wall-e deserves a Nomination much more than Indy 4 in my opinion.

Indy 4 score is so much worse than Ep I or Ep III and those weren't nominated so....

The main name attached to them was George Lucas.

This is Spielbeg.

EDIT: In response to Luke....

What? I am not familiar with the Star Wars Prequel scores outside of "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith", so that comparison does not do much for me.

Williams basically re-recorded the bit that is the ending of Palpatines teaching on the EPIII OST from TPM UE ending of 'Qui Gon mission/Obi Wan's warning' or beggining of 'nute and rune confer with darth sidious'.

Both are previous to a boarding of a spaceship to depart coruscant.

There's a good chance the Oscars will mirror the Golden Globes best score list. Although it wouldn't suprise me if Wall-E was added to the Oscars in place of one of the Globe nominees.

I haven't seen the Globes nominees, but I'm fairly sure Wall·E will get a score nomination at the Oscars. And the song is a shoe-in as well (a song I actually quite like). It's a sure win for Best Animated Feature as well.

Well, I hope he wins.

Did you see it? He just finished conducting the orchestra, and when they announced the winner, he looked very sad... :)

:o wrong HarryPotter or even AI was more deserving than that droning score.

KOTCS does not deserve a nomination.

What scores were better than it this year.

Defiance, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, Revolutionary Road, WALL*E, Che, Speed Racer, Cloverfield, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, Frost/Nixon, Kung Fu Panda... shall I go on?

Whoa.....let's not get carried away. But yes there are some scores that are better than KOTCS. I'd take 4 from your list but that's all.

Whoa.....let's not get carried away. But yes there are some scores that are better than KOTCS. I'd take 4 from your list but that's all.

Well then KotCS deserves the nomination, as the 5th best score of the year (according to you).

I said I'd take 4 from his list, didn't say those were the only 4. But it's a waste to even talk about anything KOTCS with you since it's the best damn thing ever.

I have admited and even pointed out many of KotCS's faults, I have never claimed that it was a perfect film, nor even as good as the first three.

The problem is that I am a strong supporter of intelligent debate, while many members here would rather make their claims once and then back them up with a variety of sarcastic emoticons.