1. 1. Which SCORE do you like better?

• Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Minority Report by John Williams
  2. 2. Which MOVIE do you like better?

• Total Recall by Paul Verhoeven
    • Minority Report by Steven Spielberg

It's a competition between these two works by the grand masters of film music:

Which SCORE/MOVIE do you prefer? :P

BTW, I voted Minority Report the score and Total Recall the movie.

(I would have added Blade Runner by Vangelis, but then realized I don't know the score/movie well enough myself.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a joke? The best action score of all time versus one of the less interesting Williams entries of recent years? MR has some nice moments, mostly the (sparse) action writing, and generally works well in the film. Only the best scores can try and measure themselves with TR, and this isn't one of them by far.

As for the film... both are good. I clearly want to pick TR here, too (and I will), although I'm not sure why.

Total Recall for movie and score.

How could you not have voted for your fellow countryman????

Where is Blade Runner in this poll???

At least we get plenty of blood and gore from Verhoeven. The bloodiest Spielberg has ever done was Quint's death scene in Jaws and maybe the Israeli bloodbath in Munich

Is this a joke? The most interesting and most underrated Williams effort of the last ten years, which unfortunately suffers from a bad soundmix, versus the most overrated Goldsmith score ever, with bland writing and one of his worst examples of bad blending between synth and orchestra.

Whoever votes for the film Total Recall by the way should get their cinematic priorities straight :P It's not at all so ambiguous as Verhoeven would like it to be.

Is this a joke? The most interesting and most underrated Williams effort of the last ten years, which unfortunately suffers from a bad soundmix, versus the most overrated Goldsmith score ever, with bland writing and one of his worst examples of bad blending between synth and orchestra.

Whoever votes for the film Total Recall by the way should get their cinematic priorities straight :down: It's not at all so ambiguous as Verhoeven would like it to be.

;):P

You know, I should have voted for Minority Report movie too. I own that on DVD, but I don't own Total Recall, although I have seen that many times on TV when I was a kid. I think I have nostagic, fond memories of that movie... although it's pretty violent and bizarre in places. When I was ten or so, I remember freaking out about Arnold's face exploding and his eyeballs popping out! Or how he sticks that weird tool up his nose.

She only made you feel good down under in Basic Instinct

Ahhh, no.

She definitely made me feel good in Total Recall too. :o

Looks like this is a Jerry Goldsmith/Sharon Stone relation poll...

I go for King Solomon's Mines... :huh:

She was younger...

She only made you feel good down under in Basic Instinct

Ahhh, no.

She definitely made me feel good in Total Recall too. :o

Looks like this is a Jerry Goldsmith/Sharon Stone relation poll...

I go for King Solomon's Mines... :huh:

She was younger...

Goddamn, she was hot in that movie.

At least we get plenty of blood and gore from Verhoeven. The bloodiest Spielberg has ever done was Quint's death scene in Jaws and maybe the Israeli bloodbath in Munich

Saving Private Ryan?

Pales in comparison to TR or Robocop

Total Recall x 2

I saw a beat up print last week and it still entertains and that score is just THE nonstop balls-to-the-wall action score. I've loved it since I first saw the movie.

Neil

Saving Private Ryan?

Pales in comparison to TR or Robocop

SPR is pretty gory. But it's never as gratuitous as Verhoeven, who always thoroughly enjoys his bloodsplatters.

I voted Total Recall for score and Minority Report for movie. If MR was to receive a Deluxe Edition for the score, similar to TR, then I would have harder time choosing one over the other.

SPR is pretty gory. But it's never as gratuitous as Verhoeven, who always thoroughly enjoys his bloodsplatters.

He doesn't enjoy it, but he beliefs that making violence look harmless or even cool is immoral.

Violence is a Verhoeven film usually looks horrific.

I still wish he would have been able to make his dream project about Jesus Christ, it would made Mel Gibson's film look like Walt Disney, for sure. ;)

He doesn't enjoy it,

Get out of it! He freakin' loves it! The man is clearly a splatter movie fan. His gratuitousness is deliberate.

Verhoeven also loves nudity, nightclubs and unisex changing rooms.

No contest. Total Recall wins both.

One of Goldsmith's best scores and one of Arnie's best films.

Correctamundo. And I quite like Minority Report.