Favourite Star Trek score.

Kevin

Mine is Star Trek VI because:

A) the overture, nuff said. It's the musical definition of a space opera.

B) the end credits, again nuff said. I think that although the Goldsmith theme might have been more correct, that Eidelman's effort has more emotion to it, and the suite format much more rewarding than Goldsmith's title-middle-title.

C) first use of choir in Trek, and by far the most effective use

D) first use of ethnic instruments

E) Eidelman's top notch action writing, much more in the style of a thriler than Horner's swashbuckling and Goldsmith's identifable action style.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think Star Trek would have sounded like if Williams scored any of the movies.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just did this a few months ago, I believe.

Goldsmith's TMP score is the best, end of discussion.

...waiting for Neil to post the poster......................... :thumbup:

but Mark in 5 months someone here will declare that Michael Giacchino's score for Star Trek is the best ever, EVER, EVER

Star Trek X for sure.

:thumbup:

you really like Nemesis best?

Joe Betting Luke thinks this new one is #10 when its actually #11.

I really don't know, what was the latest Rambo? I'm sure they will avoid numbers at all cost.

That's funny, because I was just thinking today about what if JW had scored Star Trek and not JG, or JH...

I think certain composers are born to write certain things. JW was born to write Star Wars and JG was born to write Star Trek. Anyone else and it's just not right.

Having said that, Star Trek V is actually my favorite Star Trek score - followed very closely by TMP and TWOK

I will agree the Star Trek VI is an EXTREMELY underrated score - even if he did completely rip of Holst for it. But, Meyer wanted that...

There aren't any good Star Trek scores.

You don't know how wrong you are.

Edit: Yes we've all ready had a thread about this before.

So? To be redundant is human.

E) Eidelman's top notch action writing, much more in the style of a thriler than Horner's swashbuckling and Goldsmith's identifable action style.

Um... Goldsmith's action writing is easily defined: If real life had a score at terrifying moments like car chases and gunfights... you'd hear a Goldsmith score. It's the heartbeat of real life. Oh yeah.

The Undiscovered Country is my least favorite movie in the series, and the score is my least favorite, with The Voyage Home possibly excepted. It's not a bad score, but I just can't forgive the outright theft of Holst for the opening titles. It, like, bothers me.

As far as the scores go, it's The Motion Picture, followed by The Wrath of Khan, with everything else waaaaay behind. As for Giacchino, who I like a lot, I'll be satisfied if he ends up near the top of the "everything else" pile, or even somewhere in the middle of it. Asking him to equal I or II is lunacy, and I don't expect it to happen. It'd be cool if it did, though.

The Undiscovered Country is my least favorite movie in the series, and the score is my least favorite, with The Voyage Home possibly excepted. It's not a bad score, but I just can't forgive the outright theft of Holst for the opening titles. It, like, bothers me.

Why? They were going to use Holst anyway.

Truth

So, they were going to use Holst and give Holst credit, and then they changed their minds and hired somebody who was told to use Holst but not give him any credit...? It's not an homage, it's a theft. Why wouldn't that bother me? (Even though the music is good, and thematically appropriate for the movie?)

So, they were going to use Holst and give Holst credit, and then they changed their minds and hired somebody who was told to use Holst but not give him any credit...?

The Holst estate wanted to much money.

Neil

So, they were going to use Holst and give Holst credit, and then they changed their minds and hired somebody who was told to use Holst but not give him any credit...? It's not an homage, it's a theft. Why wouldn't that bother me? (Even though the music is good, and thematically appropriate for the movie?)

The difference for homage and theft for me at least is that in theft, you use some of the actual phrases in the suggested score into your score without much change. Homage is when you take the style of the suggested piece and work it in some of your material. Aren't all brassy, mildly-threatening pieces for the last 50 years been accused of copying Holst?

I don't really see what's so special about Khan. It's a very nice listen, and it provides the film with the right feel, but so far I don't find it particularly fascinating.

Opinion liable to change in the next few months.

Star Trek 2 for me. Will we ever see expanded releases of 2 and 3?

Unless someone can make a breakthru at Paramount I wouldn't hold my breath.

Why is Paramount so against releasing their scores on CD and giving their movies nice special features on DVD? Anybody know?