Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Pieter Boelen

Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Jerry Goldsmith)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

This is a continuation of a series of polls I started before I left. One of the last scores I posted was ToD, but now that we actually have an expanded version, I post it again, just to get things going again and see if anybody's opinion on the score has changed. Stand by for new entries in the score rating polls shortly.

Today's score is Star Trek I: The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

Star%20Trek%20The%20Motion%20Picture.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a vote for fifteen.

Stefan is correct. Incredible, majestic, breathtaking, mysterious, better than most. An ideal display of Goldsmith's genius which should be required listening for any score fan, regardless of whether Star Trek is their cup of tea.

I'll have to be the party crasher here.

I tried to like the expanded version of this score but just couldn't. I hate the way Goldsmith uses synths, and there's just something about the general tone of the score that rubs me the wrong way.

Absolutely brilliant! A great example of Goldsmith using unique sounds that weren't synthed - although there is synth used in "Leaving Drydock". The blaster beam was such a great sound for V'ger. Just brilliant. It's unfortunate the this score suffers from what I think is a bad mix and Lionel Newman's conducting. Because of that fact, I give it a 4.5

Now, its pretty well known the Goldsmith had to score some of the cues twice. What I wouldn't give to hear what was rejected by Robert Wise.

Now, its pretty well known the Goldsmith had to score some of the cues twice. What I wouldn't give to hear what was rejected by Robert Wise.

Watch the documentary on the DVD.

Rich, do you have some sort of aversion to great scores that happen to score movies in space?

I think this is the easiest poll I've ever voted on here.... easily a 5 star rating! Great score! although for the movie itself before the directors cut I used to fall asleep during the VHS cut of the movie (literally fell asleep)... Now at least I can watch it and be somewhat entertained.

JMoss

A 5 star score, one the best composed.

While you couldn't have Star Trek without Courage's main theme/fanfare, Goldsmith's theme is Star Trek.

5 stars. The absolute best of the best. There is no comparison. Great music, great performances (no one ever got the main title to sound like this) and great sound. This is the score to beat. I love it, love it, love it. To not like this is to not like great music.

Neil

I think there's a whole bunch of those tracks available in reasonable quality on a bootleg.

5 stars. The absolute best of the best. There is no comparison. Great music, great performances (no one ever got the main title to sound like this) and great sound. This is the score to beat. I love it, love it, love it. To not like this is to not like great music.

Neil

Well there's always one to go against the flow.

I just don't 'get' Goldsmith really. Not much more to say....

4 Stars for me. I think it's a great score, but I don't absolutely love it. And it's not because it's Star Trek, I just find it a little bit lesser than a 5 star Jerry score, such as Poltergeist. Maybe I'd actually say 4.5 stars if not for the main theme, which I am not really in love with, but I like quite a bit.

Neil

NAILED IT!

Better scores than this one:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

ET

Raiders

Jaws

The musical wet dream for all Trekkies maybe, but the score to Star Trek: The Motion Picture is not the "best of the best" at all. Don't be ridiculous. There are many superior scores, some I just mentioned. Star Wars in particular laughs in the face of it. Of course it does.

4 stars.

I don't love the movie so all this atmospheric music for the vger cloud sounds boring to me. I love the thematic parts of the score though.

4 stars.

I don't love the movie so all this atmospheric music for the vger cloud sounds boring to me. I love the thematic parts of the score though.

I weep for you, too. Those are some of the best parts of the score.

Neil

Lacks the brilliant thematic unity of Goldsmith's later Star Trek scores, particularly in Nemesis. Goldsmith's refusal to embrace monothematicism here is both disappointing and fatal.

Lacks the brilliant thematic unity of Goldsmith's later Star Trek scores, particularly in Nemesis. Goldsmith's refusal to embrace monothematicism here is both disappointing and fatal.

:blink:

4 stars.

I weep for you, too. Those are some of the best parts of the score.

Indeed.

:blink:

From a narrative standpoint, Nemesis represents Goldsmith at the top of his game. No other Trek score is as well integrated.

Seriously, someone gave this a 1?????????

Seriously????????

Startling, isn't it? I didn't know anyone could show Goldsmith such profound disrespect. I gave it a 1.5.

Are you familiar with it?

Very.

What do you like about it?

The score has a lot of variety to it. "Klingon Battle", doesn't sound like "The Enterprise", which doesn't sound like "The Cloud", yet it's apparent they are all written for the same movie. I'm sure for Goldsmith this was just another job (albeit one with a tremendous amount of pressure) but when I listen to it, I can only sit back and think, "This man had the same 24 hours in a day that I have and yet he created this". It is a stunning piece of music. It cannot be written off as just a film score. It is a tremendous artistic achievement and it should be in every record collection.

What don't you like about it?

We don't have a legit release of the whole thing.

How do do you think it works in the film?

It fits like a glove. I like that the score carries the movie. The lack of time to get the proper sound effects dubbed into the picture gave Goldsmith the opportunity to have his score pick up the slack.

What are your favourite tracks?

"Klingon Battle", "The Enterprise", "Vejur Flyover", "Spock Walk", "The Meld"

Neil

:D

I think this was an attempt to sound intelligent.