46 members have voted

1. 1. Which SCORE do you like more?

• Alien by Jerry Goldsmith
    • War of the Worlds by John Williams

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, will JW get even ONE vote here, I wonder.

A poll just to please Drax! :beerchug:

Obviously. I can name at least two people who will certainly vote for WotW.

Hahaha, will JW get even ONE vote here, I wonder.

A poll just to please Drax! :beerchug:

Ever hear of push polling?

This is just to balance off the E.T. - Poltergeist poll. :lol:

Alien. One of Goldsmith's best in its genre. WOTW has a few outstanding bits, but lots of filler material. 5 minutes of brilliance vs. an entire score of it makes this rather easy.

Those of you who voted for A L I E N, which are your favorite tracks on the OS album???

I believe the entire score is outstanding and cohesive, but admittedly the first tracks are the easiest to get into. "Main Title," "Hyper Sleep," "The Landing" and "The Terrain" are breathtaking (and I prefer the rescored cues here). There's something haunting about that main theme. I only listened to this score about a year ago and I've never seen the film, but I feel like this music has been with me my entire life... in some dark recess of my mind.

Those of you who voted for A L I E N, which are your favorite tracks on the OS album???

I believe the entire score is outstanding and cohesive, but admittedly the first tracks are the easiest to get into. "Main Title," "Hyper Sleep," "The Landing" and "The Terrain" is breathtaking (and I prefer the rescored cues here). There's something haunting about that main theme. I only listened to this score about a year ago and I've never seen the film, but I feel like this music has been with me my entire life... in some dark recess of my mind.

I will listen to these more closely, thanks!

Get the movie, Henry! It's really good. Although I am a James Cameron fan, I think I prefer the original one in this case.

Alien, but not by the margin that other people state....War of the Worlds is a complex, broody, uncomfortable listen which seems to equate to being "Not Very Good" among many listeners for some reason - whereas the reality is quite the opposite....

Greg

It's a tough choice. It's actually refreshing to see people are able to greatly enjoy something like Alien. However, War of the Worlds is nothing short of masterful as well that by some unknown reason does not get the praise it should. My vote goes for WOTW, but itn's not clear cut any way.

War of the Worlds, I absolutely love the orchestration but Alien is a better score all around. So I abstain from voting.

I'm starting to think all of a sudden that

WAR OF THE WORLDS the score

is severely underrated around here.

Have you heard Alien?

If he had then he would have known Alien is far better than War Of The Worlds.

P.S. I did that for dramatic effect. :lol:

I agree, actually. It's often dismissed for not being thematic enough or for being too vague and dissonant. I think the action writing is wonderfully complex, if somewhat tiring. The quieter parts of the score draw too heavily from A.I., but they're still interesting, especially in their incorporation of Dies Irae. "The Separation of the Family" really gets me. I live near Boston, and the music absolutely feels like Boston. It's nostalgic.

That said, f--k it. Alien is a masterpiece!

Have you heard Alien?

Of course. I have the OS album.

I've always liked the WOTW score but it doesn't hold Ripley's bra strap