Which is your favorite dramatic JW-score?

Josh500

Which is your favorite dramatic JW-score?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Since 1994

• Nixon
    • Sleepers
    • Rosewood
    • Seven Years In Tibet
    • Amistad
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Angela's Ashes
    • The Patriot
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Munich

By "dramatic score," I mean everything except comedy and science fiction/fantasy.

There are exactly 10. I suspect strongly that one particular score will stand out, and I will vote for that, too: Memoirs of a Geisha. A masterpiece.

Also, list your 2nd and 3rd choices: For me...

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Munich

:lol:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most interesting thing will be to see which scores will be everybody's 2nd and 3rd choices... I would really surprise me if Memoirs didn't win this poll.

Oh this is really, really really hard, so many of the them are so hard to leave out. They are all pretty much pontential top 10 material.

But here goes, though this changes all the time:

1 - Seven Years in Tibet

2 - Memoirs of a Geisha

3- Sleepers

I voted for Saving Private Ryan, entirely on the strength of the davastatingly good "Hymn to the Fallen."

Yeah, exactly! For me SPR is 2nd, only on the strength of "Hymn to the Fallen" and "Omaha Beach." They ARE devastatingly good... :blink:

EotS isn't post-Schindler's List.

Exactly.

i like the patriot, but i know it is not a better score than others of the list.

I'm looking for the favorite scores, not the best scores. :blink:

Thanks for SL, again. PUC is staggeringly good.

I thought I'd vote Rosewood, but I've been playing Amistad a lot more. Nixon would probably be third. None of the others do particularly much for me, although Tibet has a great theme (which would be much more listenable if Murphy hadn't over-bassed the strings so much).

Stepmom is arguably far more a drama score than it is a comedy score (Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal have a better mix of comedic and dramatic elements), so I'd put that at the top were it an option.

All of the choices, with the possible exception of the Saving Private Ryan score (which Jonathan Rosenbaum aptly describes in an otherwise largely dubious review as "insufferably solemn and hokey") have their share of highlights, but I'll have to go with the following:

1. Nixon

2. Sleepers

3. Rosewood

What's a drama? Does "drama" mean something that consists of no fantasy elements of any kind? Does it simply mean that the movie is serious in intent, free of comedy or other frivolity? I really gets the creeps when people start trying to make one kind of movie seem like it's inherently more valid, or important, than all other kinds.

It's your poll, and you're obviously free to do what you want with it, and I'm happy to play along by your rules. But, for you, what makes Memoirs of a Geisha a drama, and not, say, A.I.? Why don't you consider Catch Me If You Can to be a drama? (In my opinion, both have even better scores than Memoirs of a Gesiha, although I adore that score, too.)

What's a drama? Does "drama" mean something that consists of no fantasy elements of any kind? Does it simply mean that the movie is serious in intent, free of comedy or other frivolity? I really gets the creeps when people start trying to make one kind of movie seem like it's inherently more valid, or important, than all other kinds.

It's your poll, and you're obviously free to do what you want with it, and I'm happy to play along by your rules. But, for you, what makes Memoirs of a Geisha a drama, and not, say, A.I.? Why don't you consider Catch Me If You Can to be a drama? (In my opinion, both have even better scores than Memoirs of a Gesiha, although I adore that score, too.)

You're overthinking it.

I said in my first message everything except comedy and sci-fi/fantasy.

If you had Harry Potter and Star Wars listed as options (or even A.I.), Memoirs and co wouldn't have a chance at all now, would they?

I ate popcorn when i watched Memoirs... :lol:

:beerchug:

"Drama" seems to be mostly a label slapped on everything that doesn't fit a popular genre. If you set a drama in the future, it becomes a sci/fi movie. Anyway, what I've seen of it (about the first half), The Patriot is a popcorn movie.

Yeah, that list needs some correction:

The Patriot: epic-adventure

A.I.: sci-fi drama

Stepmom: drama

It's hard for me to choose among my absolute favorite scores, I rate all of them very high. But...

1) Saving Private Ryan

2) Sleepers

3) Amistad

You're overthinking it.

If you had Harry Potter and Star Wars listed as options (or even A.I.), Memoirs and co wouldn't have a chance at all now, would they?

I ate popcorn when i watched Memoirs... ;)

:lol:

No, I'm not overthinking it at all. I'm taking issue with how you define "drama." Not to be a dick or anything, though, just to stimulate conversation.

You're overthinking it.

You're underthinking it. ;)

CMIYC is more drama than comedy.

Angela's Ashes just edges out Geisha because I can listen to that entire score from start to finish. An absolutely amazing effort that was so atypical of what most of us expected out of Williams given its Irish setting. A much superior score (IMO) to Far and Away which was already an excellent score. A tad depressing but you can't have it all.

I really want to get them, but I set my sights for the Blue Box ( only 20 more Dollars to go!), and I willl not stop now. I only bought "Hook" because it was mind-boggingly cheap ($2.00, in New condition).