Soundtrack Collection DIGITIZE!

On my recent trip back to New Jersey, part of my goal was to get my CDs encoded losslessly. By the time I left, I had over 400 albums done, complete with artwork. I've been slowly encoding a box set I have of everything written by Mozart. That's taking awhile. But my terabyte drive isn't even half full, and I have my entire CD collection on it now lossless. It's quite startling. I should post a picture of my drive in the "Post Your Collection" thread.

Neil

That's a lot of CD's. I need to get a terabyte drive in a couple of months. I only got a 300GB hard drive (partitioned) and I'm nearly out of room.

On my recent trip back to New Jersey, part of my goal was to get my CDs encoded losslessly. By the time I left, I had over 400 albums done, complete with artwork. I've been slowly encoding a box set I have of everything written by Mozart. That's taking awhile. But my terabyte drive isn't even half full, and I have my entire CD collection on it now lossless. It's quite startling. I should post a picture of my drive in the "Post Your Collection" thread.

Neil

That should be interesting to see.

Neil

Yes, I'll be getting a 1 TB harddrive soon.

I considered ripping in WAV actually.

Raiders (Polydor release)

Hmmm...for some reason my DVD-rom burner can't read the E.T. SACD, even though it is multichannel.

Steef,

You'll probably be spending the rest of the day if not the next couple of days ripping all of your CD's to lossless.

I would love to, but I'm sure both my girlfriend and my boss will have something to say about it.

I would love to, but I'm sure both my girlfriend and my boss will have something to say about it.

Sometimes you have to think about what's really important in life, Mr. Cosman.

For right now, I rip everything in 320 kbps mp3, simply because I would not have enough hard drive space to hold it all in lossless. As soon as I upgrade to a terabyte drive, it's all going to FLAC.

Not yet, but, you know, I hope to be one day.

And how about unemployed?

Anything that gets in the way of collecting soundtracks needs to go. Life is short; you don't want to spend it on that which is of little ultimate value.

Not yet, but, you know, I hope to be one day.

And how about unemployed?

Anything that gets in the way of collecting soundtracks needs to go. Life is short; you don't want to spend it on that which is of little ultimate value.

Damn straight, I made that pefectly clear to my wife when I married her. She comes second.

Why the hell would I want to rip to the Apple format ? I will never make that mistake again to rip to an exclusive format (that includes WMA ) that some software won't read and music editors won't accept .itunes is only for my ipod and not the central music hub of my computer .FLAC is no good either,I have to convert to WAV if I need a track to use for editing

I ripped all my JOHN WILLIAMS c.d.'s in WAV to an external drive for "archival" purpose and editing resource (it takes up 71.4 GB of space for scores and Williams exclusive pieces from Boston Pops c.d.'s and concert works)

for itunes everything is ripped in 224kbps VBR MP3 or 320k MP3 (LAME encoder)

K.M.who think only Apple fanboys will blindly trust the apple codecs

Calm down, KM. Alan you're a complete idiot. Apple lossless doesn't take up nearly as much room as a wav does and plus you can add artwork to it when importing the music to your iPod, it's also great for gapless playback.

Apple lossless doesn't take up nearly as much room as a wav does and plus you can add artwork to it when importing the music to your iPod, it's also great for gapless playback.

hmm, but itunes also makes MP3's gapless playback...

And WAV is only for my John Williams collection

Since I got an iPod circa 2006, I've used iTunes as primary music player. I'm not a fanboy, the only Apple technology I use is the iPod, iTunes and Quicktime. I rip my music Apple Lossless and have no complaints.

I started off with mp3s - I don't think there has ever been a period when CDs have been my primary listening media. Actually, if I go back to pre-2000 when I still performed magic, I edited my own performance track from various synth stuff and reburnt it as a wav. Digital manipulation and organising is just in me.

I'm buying more CDs at the moment for some reason, but once I've digitized them, they just go on my shelf and collect dust. There's just something about being able to cart my entire music collection (which is actually pretty small compared to many here) to work. It's also why I so strongly believe in recording sessions being available in flac.

Anyways ,my whole hate of Apple format is because of these 128k DRM wrapped AAC's they sell at the itunes store.

I also hate WMA and Sony ATRAC.

They are all a pain in the ass at some point when you least expect it

Indeed. Selling heavily compressed files you can only play on an ipod for the price of a CD is just stupid. You actually have to break laws to get fair use out of it too.

In fact, I'm sure Apply has acknowledged at some point that burning to a CD and re-ripping is a way of getting the music DRM free. There's a direct admission that the system isn't foolproof, so why the f**k try to keep the smokescreen up?

In fact, I'm sure Apply has acknowledged at some point that burning to a CD and re-ripping is a way of getting the music DRM free. There's a direct admission that the system isn't foolproof, so why the f**k try to keep the smokescreen up?

If you re-rip you either lose quality or have a much larger file to transfer. It's more of a speed bump than a deterrent.

Of course, are these opinions still valid since Apple also sells many DRM-free files that are also higher bit rate?

Neil - happy with his current library

Yeah, I know you lose quality, that's beside the point anyway.

I think the increased bitrate is just a big con for those less technically minded among us. I helped a friend at work put mp3s on a pen drive for her car stereo, and had go to through the bitrate/quality/size explanation. Someone like that will be taken in by Apple's 'higher quality' buzzwords.

There's an article here where this guy digs out some music he bought ages ago and tries to play it. He jumps through all sorts of hoops, downloads programs, and eventually gives up. Then you've got Microsoft shutting down some music service it used to run, but instead of giving DRM-free versions, it just advises customers to take the CD burning loophole.

Just makes me want to weep...

Most of my CDs encoded in Apple Lossless and are in my iTunes library. There are a few odds and ends I still need to rip, as well as a sizable collection of classical CDs that are just lying around the house.

Of course, are these opinions still valid since Apple also sells many DRM-free files that are also higher bit rate?

iTunes Plus should supercede the regular iTunes Store. That's the first step. Digital music downloads won't satisfy me, though, until they're lossless. I really hope there's enough demand for high sound quality - certainly with ever faster Internet connections and larger hard drives the size won't be an issue - because digital downloads are sure to replace physical media eventually. It would be a pity if this led to a permanent reduction in quality.