Soundtrack Collection DIGITIZE!

Well, sure

But I don't get why you wouldn't throw away a bootleg that has been COMPLETELY usurped by a later proper release. The only reason we have bootlegs is for the music that we can't legally buy, right? You can legally buy everything from The Burbs.

It'd be like holding onto the Predator boot after you bought the Varese release

Well, sure

But I don't get why you wouldn't throw away a bootleg that has been COMPLETELY usurped by a later proper release. The only reason we have bootlegs is for the music that we can't legally buy, right? You can legally buy everything from The Burbs.

It'd be like holding onto the Predator boot after you bought the Varese release

I'd still keep a complete score if the entire score didn't have a full legit release. For example The Matrix Deluxe Edition, while it's great that has gotten an expanded treatment it's still far from complete. I've got the complete sessions for it and I still listen to that more than the Deluxe Edition. If The Matrix got a full complete release later down the road I'd buy that too.

I will admit if a score did get a complete legit release and it was one I bought and had a boot of I'd get rid of the boot instantly, again only if the full score was given a legit release.

I'd still keep a complete score if the entire score didn't have a full legit release. For example The Matrix Deluxe Edition, while it's great that has gotten an expanded treatment it's still far from complete. I've got the complete sessions for it and I still listen to that more than the Deluxe Edition. If The Matrix got a full complete release later down the road I'd buy that too.

I will admit if a score did get a complete legit release and it was one I bought and had a boot of I'd get rid of the boot instantly, again only if the full score was given a legit release.

Well obviously! I'm not suggesting anybody throw away any material that hadn't been properly released! I just don't see why you'd rip a bad-sounding boot of a score that's been properly released in complete form to your hard drive and/or put it on your ipod. There's no reason to ever listen to it.

I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just throw it out?

I paid money for it....

Who's the idiot uploading CD info to CDDB, and putting "New Age" in the genre-box with a lot of Goldsmith CD's?

NR: The 13th Warrior (expanded bootleg)

Who's the idiot uploading CD info to CDDB, and putting "New Age" in the genre-box with a lot of Goldsmith CD's?

That's why I always enter my own information for soundtracks before ripping them. Who ever uploads the info in the CDDB 90% of the time gets the genre or composer wrong.

I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just throw it out?

I paid money for it....

That's like going to a fancy restaurant, ordering a dish, realizing you're mildly allergic to one of the ingredients, and then deciding to eat it anyway because...well, you paid for it!

Be careful, someone had also misspelled Goldsmith's name in the CDDB.

They had it as Goldmsith. I had to go back and correct quite a few CDs.

You can also rename the artist field of multiple mp3s in one click simply by using Windows Explorer. Highlight them all, right-click, properties, details, advanced, change the artist field, hit OK

You can also rename the artist field of multiple Apple Lossless files in one click simply by using Windows Explorer. Highlight them all, right-click, properties, details, advanced, change the artist field, hit OK

You can also rename the artist field of multiple mp3s in one click simply by using Windows Explorer. Highlight them all, right-click, properties, details, advanced, change the artist field, hit OK

Strange, the "Details" field when I do that is grayed out. I'll stick with MP3Tag, as it can also handle FLAC, WMA, OGG, which are the only other non-WAV formats I'd have a reason to use at the moment.

No, typing all of the track names by hand is too much work. Being online to rip CD information from CDDB is ok, but I'm on dialup so the connection to CDDB is intermittent, I don't like being online while ripping, and half the CDs I rip don't have CDDB information anyways. Mass converting WAV rips to MP3/FLAC and then batch grabbing information from text files (or CDDB after conversion) is pretty sweet.

:unsure: <Track 13>, by <Artist>. Released in <Year>, it is a calming piece indicative of all similar <Genre> songs, and is the standout track on the <Album> album.

Noticed something that has happened to me about 3 or 4 times since I have owned an iPod.

Today when I wanted to listen to the John Williams album Call Of The Champions (AKA The American Journey in the US) on my iPod, I noticed that the sequence of tracks was completely incorrect.

Summon The Heroes

Call Of The Champions

Sound The Bells

Celebrate Discovery

Immigration and Building

The Country at War

Popular Entertainment

Arts and Sports

Civil Rights and the Womens Movement

Flight and Technology

Song for World Peace

Jubilee 350

The Mission Theme

For New York

Hymn To New England

The order should be:

Call of the Champions 5:00

Immigration and Building 5:39

The Country at War 3:22

Popular Entertainment 2:30

Arts and Sports 2:37

Civil Rights and the Women's Movement 3:27

Flight and Technology 7:10

Song for World Peace 4:42

Jubilee 350 3:44

The Mission Theme (Theme for NBC News) 3:30

For New York 3:03 ****

Sound the Bells! 2:50

Hymn to New England 3:11

Celebrate Discovery 3:49

Summon the Heroes 6:16

I checked the track number tags and they are correct and the sequence is correct in iTunes, just not on my iPod.

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever had my ipod track order not match my itunes track order. It could be that the album NAME is different somehow - even if it doesn't look it to the naked eye (like it has an extra space at the end or something). of course, if you ripped the CD yourself, thats probably not it.

Weird.

what do you do when your soundtrack collection exceeds your capacity to listen to it completely?

I just bought a new 500 GB hard drive to back up my iTunes library. So my entire collection is now on two drives. I recommend this.

Neil

I concur. I have 3 copies of all my music and have never lost anything.

I just bought a new 500 GB hard drive to back up my iTunes library. So my entire collection is now on two drives. I recommend this.

Neil

Do you use a software program to keep both copies in constant sync with each other? Or just copy stuff over every once in a while when you think of it?

I think the only way to keep both copies in "constant" sync is to set them up as a RAID 1 array, where two SATA hard drives are maintained as perfect mirror copies of each other. There are probably programs to back stuff up for you when you're not thinking about it, but Neil has a Mac so I don't know what they would be. I think he bought an external hard drive for sake of safety (it's only on when you want it to be) and mobility (duh), so it would become a manual operation of copying over those folders you want to back up, and overwrite all the old stuff.

MS has a free PowerToy called SyncToy that may do the trick for PCs, but I've not used it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Yeah, it's a manual thing, that I'll probably update once a month. I can just look at the dates and see what's changed.

I'm also keeping my back ups far away from the toilet. ;)

Neil

I think the only way to keep both copies in "constant" sync is to set them up as a RAID 1 array, where two SATA hard drives are maintained as perfect mirror copies of each other.

There's tools (at least for Linux) to set up a software RAID, where the drives don't have to be the same size or type. I've been meaning to set one up for a while now.

MS has a free PowerToy called SyncToy that may do the trick for PCs, but I've not used it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

That's actually the program I use to back up my iTunes directory (among other things). After setting it up you can preview the 'changes' it makes or just let it do its job. The setup is quick and supposedly you can set it to backup automatically through another windows program. I believe it is called Windows scheduler or something along those lines.

yeah but just to be safe, don't you think you need 4, maybe even 5?

Nope, 3's enough. It's just a way of storing music Joey and it comes with sensible precautions.

I do keep two (laptop drive and big external drive) in the same room, but this is more a precaution against drives failing, not fire or other disaster. And I'm with Neil in my backup method - I do everything manually, partly because I need to feel I'm in control but also I don't want any auto-syncing because I want to be able to change files on my main drive without my backup replicating it immediately, and because it sometimes isn't as simple as just adding or removing files (e.g. modyfing tracklists).