People who clap at a JW concert when a "famous" melody starts

Beowulf

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like a live audience clapping when a quirky character enters the set on a show.

Reminds me of audiences that went to see Frank Sinatra in-concert in his twilight years. Every time an old favorite came up, the crowd would hoot and holler.

I wonder what the maestro makes of it?

I severely hate it. Watching videos where the music is drowned out by shouting is a real pain. And does anyone ever know why people feel so inclined to laugh when he conducts "Jaws"?

People are strange beasts mate - I guess there is no where else better to observe this than at large gatherings like concerts. But you would think the type of people going to these concerts would know better.

It also irks me when audiences start clapping before the piece is actually finished. I've noticed this happens a lot with the E.T. Finale especially.

It's a different crowd than you would find at a classical performance, unfortunately. The manners just are not there.

I think it may be because this music is considered to be of a lighter nature and may not "require" the same etiquette as say a Mahler symphony.

I think it's great. They're there presumably because they want to hear some of the more famous themes, so why shouldn't they applaud? The same thing happens in rock concerts and pop-star concerts. Yeah, he's not a pop or rock star, but he's the closest thing to it that a contemporary orchestral composer can be, and his music is just as recognisable.

It really doesn't bother me at a live event. I get buzzed that other people are getting excited by the whole thing.

I only get annoyed when they clap for so long they drown out a quiet section of music.

These are Williams' bread and butter and I think he realizes that. These are the same people who love the Star Wars music because they are a huge SW geeks. When was the last time John Williams performed Presumed Innocent or Witches of Eastwick. He knows what the "masses" want to hear. They want the Indy and Harry Potter because they are huge fans of the movies, not necessarily music fans.

Are you one of these people?

No. I also wasn't one of those an annoyed Jerry Goldsmith had to silence when they clapped before the Blue Max epilogue.

I did clap during the STTMP suite, after The Enterprise. But I think that was a given.

These are Williams' bread and butter and I think he realizes that. These are the same people who love the Star Wars music because they are a huge SW geeks.

Bottlecap collectors.

I hate when people clap during a performance of Williams music. How dare they be enthusiastic? The only proper way to appreciate music is to sit completely still with your eyes shut tight. If you cheer when you hear your favorite theme it means that you have no respect for the composer or the music. Now excuse me while I adjust my monocle and wrinkle my nose at the thought of the common folk.

I hate when people clap during a performance of Williams music. How dare they be enthusiastic? The only proper way to appreciate music is to sit completely still with your eyes shut tight. If you cheer when you hear your favorite theme it means that you have no respect for the composer or the music. Now excuse me while I adjust my monocle and wrinkle my nose at the thought of the common folk.

:)

It's not a rock concert. Sit down shut up and listen.

HPFAN_2 - Now adjusting his monocle and walking out with a totally unnecessary silver headed cane and cloak.

Not that I've noticed. The Austin Wind Symphony is definately come as you are. For the Houston Symphony Mark and I tucked in our shirts and put on some nice shoes, but there were people there who were very extravagantly dressed.

Is there like a standard etiquette for film score concerts? Kinda like you can't go to the opera in a shirt and jeans.

Depends on the situation or event. If it's a major symphony I at least wear slacks and a dress shirt. The only time I wore a suit was to a ballet.

:)

You're a complete ass, Henry.

Oh yeah, and a complete idiot, too.

Concert etiquette in and of itself sucks. I remember attending a Chicago Symphony concert about 10 years ago - Barenboim was conducting Tchaikovsky 6 and between each movement people would cough and sneeze and do every other bodily function would could possibly think of. After the 2nd movement, Barenboim actually turned around and told the audience basically to knock it off in no uncertain terms. I was like, "Good for you!"

Unfortunately, it didn't work. :)

Gosh!

That's right. A complete ass. Not one of those half-assed ones.

:):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Goodness gracious. You've wounded my honor, Alan. I can't let this go, just like I couldn't let the last one go... er... will it be pistols again?

On another note,

I like this performance!

Not half as bad as this one:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd1_kVz4S7U

Does any of them care about the music at all?

Sheesh, I know someone posting at a website devoted to JW shouldn't really be talking, but:

nerdsgs8.jpg

NERDS!!!

When I went to the Hollywood Bowl, JW played "Battle of the Heroes," and these two guys started fighting with lightsabers in the aisle. I don't mind the clapping, but that was a bit distracting.

What the f*ck is it with orchestral concerts having to be relegated to "must be stiff and quiet" status? And this "shush-up to be respectful" crap.

The realm of concert music has historically been about loud clapping, cheering, and having a great time. Contrary to what movies tell you, people did not sit around like they would suffer massive hemorrhoid pain if they so much as took in too much air.

It wasn't until the 1890s+ that concert-goers and composers became puritans/Victorian.

Guest macrea

Try a foot in the aisle.

With Williams I don't mind it when they clap right away, as with Star Wars and Superman, but it's very annoying with "Flying" from E.T. because the rubes don't recognize the intro and when the melody starts you can't hear it. This kind of thing generally happens for encores only, thankfully.

What the f*ck is it with orchestral concerts having to be relegated to "must be stiff and quiet" status? And this "shush-up to be respectful" crap.

The realm of concert music has historically been about loud clapping, cheering, and having a great time. Contrary to what movies tell you, people did not sit around like they would suffer massive hemorrhoid pain if they so much as took in too much air.

It wasn't until the 1890s+ that concert-goers and composers became puritans/Victorian.

There is a bit of unnecessary "etiquette" in orchestral concerts. But then you also have to account for the need to actually hear the piece being performed. It would totally ruin a first performance of something if people decided to cheer because that crescendo was just splendid or if they found the tuba player's performance the most thrilling of this old and well known piece.

Well I agree with you about clapping and all...but how exactly do you know this?

If you cheer when you hear your favorite theme it means that you have no respect for the composer or the music.

That is correct. Or at least no respect for the other people who also want to hear it.

Maybe the people who clap when they hear their favorite bit of music are paid by the group and the concert hall to devalue any illegal bootleg recordings that are being made of that concert, by having such "noise" present...

I'm sure those people are just feeling overly enthusiastic towards their music. Just like the people who sing and clap overly loud at rock concerts, although they forget that film music at a concert hall is much quieter and more formal than a rock concert, so many more people will hear such interactions and take offense to them.

What irks me is when the conductor announces that they're going to play a suite of a certain number of movements, and then people clap between each movement, not recognizing that it's not over until that baton comes down and the conductor turns around.

I have yet to attend a concert where the audience became disruptive by applauding. Yes there have been times where they have clapped at the beginning but that's just a sign of recognition and appreciation for the cue being played.

And I've seen them clap at the end of a cue even though there was more music in the suite, I think that just a natural urge to clap when the music stops.