Born on the Fourth of July

Pieter Boelen

Born on the Fourth of July (John Williams)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Born on the Fourth of July by John Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

866-1.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

5 stars from me.

This is my absolute favorite Williams score, not because it's the best (which it isn't), but because it has left an emotional stamp on me. The poignant themes coupled with me being in love with this score during a now-nostalgic time of my life has led to a very strong connection to the music. Hearing it takes me back. and I love it.

I also believe that the themes written for this film are among the best Williams has ever written. I couldn't say enough good about them and about the score as a whole. Just perfect!

Favorite tracks (including the boot):

-End Credits

-Early Days

-Back in the Neighborhood

-Villa Dulce

-Miami Confrontation

-Timmy

-The Syracuse Rally

I'll give a 4.5.

this was one of those times when Williams was robbed at the Oscars. this score should have won in 1989.

A very lovely main theme and while the score may seem a little repetative at times it emotionally gripping.

Thinking back, they even made a music video for the theme that aired on MTV/VH1. I think it was filmed in Black & White and featured Williams conducting and in the mixing booth. I believe it also featured T. Morrison performing the trumpet solo.

I don't know the complete score, but based on the album, it's easily 4 stars. The end credits piece on its own is 4.5 at least.

Indeed. The End Credits piece is one of the most impassioned things I've heard from JW.

3 Stars. I like how John Williams' name appears on screen just as the music is in full swell.

Think JW did that on purpose?

Probably, he also plays the love theme during his Superman credit. The narcissistic bastard.

4.5, but if you ask me in a week's time it might very well change to a five. One of Williams' best "serious" scores in my mind.

3 Stars. I like how John Williams' name appears on screen just as the music is in full swell.

No, I think the person who puts the names onscreen did that on purpose, I think.

But it's funny very often JW's name appears at a very good musical moment... like Memoirs, Schindler's List, The Patriot, etc.

No, I think the person who puts the names onscreen did that on purpose, I think.

But it's funny very often JW's name appears at a very good musical moment... like Memoirs, Schindler's List, The Patriot, etc.

Temple Of Doom, Witches Of Eastwick..,

Temple Of Doom, Witches Of Eastwick..,

one of the best is Catch me if you can.

• 12 years later...

I recently went to a Concert of Williams' works (for about the 700th time of course) and they played Born on the 4th of July, which I haven't revisited in years, and what struck me most was how influential this side of Williams is to so many of the great Composers. 

I sat there listening to the Orchestra play this piece, and I felt so many other voices that have developed from Williams.

I hear Doyle's 'St. Crispin's Day' from Henry V.

I hear a strong comparison to Powell, especially his score to Solo and the piece 'Lando's Closet.'

I hear Arnold's sci-fi style, particularly Independence Day.

There's even some Horner in there, like Apollo 13. And Zimmer with The Last Samurai.

And my favourite comparison I feel is from The Orville. The piece 'Alara Says Goodbye' has to be a nod of some sort.

It's fun just sitting and listening to this Williams piece and thinking of all those examples I listed and it really making you feel Williams powerful influence and shaping of so many others.

On 06/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, Thor said:

True, but the score itself owes a lot to predecessors too, like Copland.

Of course, everything is influenced by what came before. I enjoy searching for the seeds of particular styles or sounds, and how each major voice in each era puts a clear signature into those that follow.