John Powell Collaborations

ChuckM

John Powell Collaborations  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Whom do you prefer John Powell to collaborate with?

• JP with Harry Gregson-Williams (Antz, Chicken Run, and Shrek)
    • JP with Hans Zimmer (The Road to El Dorado, Chill Factor, and Kung Fu Panda)

It's a tough choice for me, as I absolutely love five out of the six scores, but since Chill Factor with Zimmer is a bit boring, I'm going to have to go with Gregson-Williams.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with his collaboration with Zimmer, so I can't vote. But judging from his HGW, I prefer him on his own (with his 30 ten orchestrators, of course :lol:).

Karol

I'm going to go with HGW, but I believe Powell was the driving force behind those scores because HGW on his own is dull, the two Shrek scores after Powell are proof.

I'm going to go with HGW, but I believe Powell was the driving force behind those scores because HGW on his own is dull, the two Shrek scores after Powell are proof.

Good point. :lol:

Zimmer is better than HGW, but in terms of collaborations...nothing can beat Shrek or Chicken Run.

Edit: Wow, I just realized that I made at least two typos in the poll options. Too bad I can't edit those...

If you go to the first post and click "Full Edit," you can edit poll options.

Zimmer is better than HGW, but in terms of collaborations...nothing can beat Shrek or Chicken Run.
Edit: Wow, I just realized that I made at least two typos in the poll options. Too bad I can't edit those...

If you go to the first post and click "Full Edit," you can edit poll options.

Ah, thanks. I had only bothered to try the quick edit.

Very tough. I'd take Kung Fu Panda and The Road To El Dorado over Shrek, but Antz and Chicken Run are waaay better than Chill Factor. Harry and JoPo it is.

:angry:

Have you tried Harry Gregson-Williams' Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas?

I love Chicken Run, but I liked neither Antz nor Shrek, so I'm not sure how much influence HGW had on CR compared to Powell. And I haven't heard any of the Zimmer collaborations.

I love Chicken Run, but I liked neither Antz nor Shrek, so I'm not sure how much influence HGW had on CR compared to Powell. And I haven't heard any of the Zimmer collaborations.

Harry had the most influence on Antz and Shrek. Powell had the most on Chicken Run. Harry only did 6 cues on the OST. I think it's safe to say you like Powell.

Is it known which cues are done by John Powell and which ones by Harry Gregson-Williams on their collaborations?

I read an interview with Powell once that explained their process. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: Found it!

Well with all three films, "Chicken Run", "Shrek" and "Antz" what happened was Harry and I would meet and would spend hours together and basically just write themes together, write ideas, bring ideas to each other and sort of bounce them off each other. I had always done this with Gavin and I was quite used to writing in collaboration with another composer. I didn't really know that it's quite unusual. I always thought that people did it because songwriters do it and it made perfect

sense to me. So we'd have fun, try things out and try these ideas on the filmmakers. Once we had a structure of an idea or an idea of scenes, we would each take the idea and start to apply it to different sections of the movie. So Harry might do an opening sequence and then I would then head into one of the big action sequences or something like that. We would split up the work and then take those themes and start to develop them throughout the movie. There was still a lot of interaction here, as if I was working on a cue, Harry might come into my room and have a look and we would talk about it and see if there was any help we could give each other. It was an interactive process but obviously the work was split up between the two of us. The cues were somewhat separate but ultimately we were using the material we had developed together.

http://www.filmzene.net/read.php?u=interju...ll_english.html

The whole interview is very interesting.

Chicken Run alone is enough to make me vote for option 1.

That about covers it! Add the other and it's a landslide... I wish these two should work together more often as they are one of the few collaborations I feel actually seem to enhance the quality of to the scores they work on where others are obviously just a time saving measure.