A.I. vs. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Josh500

Which score do you like more?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. A.I. vs. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

• A.I. - Artificial Intelligence
    • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

This is one poll, where I have really no idea of the outcome.

Hell, I don't know myself what to vote for. They're both JW masterpieces of the past several years.

I'll give it a thought and vote later! ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Azkaban is the fresher and more innovative score, but A.I. is wealthy with heart and depth in a way that Azkaban isn't. I think they are both extremely listenable and definitely masterpieces in their own right... but A.I. gets my vote. Stunningly moving.

A.I. is better than all Potter scores.

Especially the Oscar 2 disc promo. The commercial release does not encompass the wealth of compositional breadth this score has to offer.

A.I. by a mile.

Azkaban is the fresher and more innovative score, but A.I. is wealthy with heart and depth in a way that Azkaban isn't.

Hmmm, if you're only talking about the movie, I agree. But score? I think they have both incredible depth....

Anyway, I've decided to vote for A.I. also.

Mainly because of "The Reunion," "The Arrival of David," "The Drive," and "Abandoned in the Woods."

(Trying all the while not to think about "Double Trouble," "Aunt Marge's Waltz," "Mischief Managed!," "Buckbeak's Flight," and "A Window to the Past.") :lol:

AI is a dull and boring score.

AI is a horrible movie to boot. Spielberg's worst film ever.

AI. It'd be a tougher choice if it was AI vs. Sorcerer's Stone.

The movie is overlong and poorly paced until the last act, but I think it's really good and gets better every time I see it. Far from Spielberg's worst, it doesn't even belong in the same room as, say, Hook.

AI. It'd be a tougher choice if it was AI vs. Sorcerer's Stone.

Does that mean you think SS is better than PoA? Or the contrary? :(

OK, I'm listening to A.I. right now, and this IS definitely better. Especially the cues NOT on the OS puts this over the top. A Drive and The Arrival of David are incredible....

ROTFLMAO

I hate A.I. the film, I've thought about watching it again just to see how the music works in it but I can't bring myself to do it. Terrible movie, brilliant score. When I first heard it I didn't think much of it. It also didn't help that I hated the movie. I also didn't (and still don't) like the vocal version of For Always. It's strange, I really like that theme but I find the Groban/sung version to be grating and yet I love "Where Dreams Are Born". But since its release the more I listened to it the more I got out of it - that is the mark of a great piece of music. It has become my favorite post-Schindler's List score.

I hate A.I. the film, I've thought about watching it again just to see how the music works in it but I can't bring myself to do it. Terrible movie, brilliant score. When I first heard it I didn't think much of it. It also didn't help that I hated the movie. I also didn't (and still don't) like the vocal version of For Always. It's strange, I really like that theme but I find the Groban/sung version to be grating and yet I love "Where Dreams Are Born". But since its release the more I listened to it the more I got out of it - that is the mark of a great piece of music. It has become my favorite post-Schindler's List score.

It seems to be that people either hate or love the movie; there seems to be no middle ground. I personally love it, although it's not my top Spielberg movie. There are many brilliant, very human moments... which is ironic, since the main characters are robots.

Yeah, the score is undoubtedly one of the very best. Just Abandoned in the Woods and Monica's Theme are two of the most powerful, memorable, and expressive themes JW's ever written, IMHO. And I don't care about the song(s) either.

Geisha > PoA > AI.

That being said, I voted for PoA; AI is still one of JW's best scores yet, though.

Hmmm... that's a tough one!

I think for me it's Geisha (100%), then AI (99%), then PoA (98.5%).

ROTFLMAO But it depends on my mood, I guess.

A.I. is gorgeous, but I love Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It's like a James Bond score for a Harry Potter film. Fantastic.

I'll have to think about this.

Double Trouble is the film's main theme. It's like the title song of a Bond film, where Hedwig's theme takes the place of the James Bond theme. I love that approach about the score.

Double Trouble is the film's main theme. It's like the title song of a Bond film, where Hedwig's theme takes the place of the James Bond theme. I love that approach about the score.

I find it a pity somehow that DT only appears in the first half of the movie...

I am going to judge by my initial reactions.

When I first heard Azkaban, I thought "perfect. instant classic"

When I first heard AI, I thought it was good, but a little too new-agey and thin.

Score in the film, and away from film, I go with Azkaban.

I find it a pity somehow that DT only appears in the first half of the movie...

There's no need for it in the second half, and besides there's a hint of it as the trio runs down the hill to Hagrid's hut during Buckbeak's sentencing.

A.I. because of the tracks Hide and Seek and The Reunion.

"Hide and Seek" is one of my favorite cues Williams has ever composed. And that scene is one of my favorite Spielberg has ever directed. It's definitely one of the movie's highpoints.

A.I. is what I'd consider more of a work of true art, even if Azkaban has somewhat more enthralling moments.

Unfortunately, it suffers from the usual Williams album syndrome, leaving out a ton of smaller, more beautiful moments, and why are there two versions of that damned song?

Some A.I. musical highlights:

cap004.jpg

"I mean, Henry did you see his face? He looks so real!" The Arrival of David: this is possibly (for me) the most heart-breaking cue in the entire movie... the English horn solo is indescribably sad and haunting.

cap006.jpg

"A Drive." Another favorite of mine.

cap001.jpg

My favorite musical moment in A.I. "Abandoned in the Woods" as Monica screams, "Don't go that way, or they'll catch you! Don't ever go that way!" This cue is bone-chillingly effective.

cap007.jpg

Man-hatten. Appropriately MECHANICAL music. Most original cue.

cap008.jpg

"The Blue Fairy." After "Abandoned in the Woods" and "Monica's Theme," my third favorite theme in A.I.

cap003.jpg

Best example of "Monica's Theme": the finale. The most beautiful music written for a "death scene," maybe.

I probably shouldn't have voted, since I'm far more familiar with HP:POA than with AI, but I decided to anyway. POA really just has a lot of heart and originality and variety to it. I'm sure AI does, too, but in my few viewings of the (very good) film, the score just wasn't making me go, "Ooooh!"