• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Lawrence of Arabia by Maurice Jarre. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

lawrenceofarabia.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

I love the music in this score and as heard in the film, but I don't know if I actually have the best album representation. I still have a hodgepodge of tracks that I got when Napster was legal, and was just waiting to find an extended album for purchase somewhere. I did buy Doctor Zhivago, but enjoy this score a lot more.

This score is brilliant! 5 stars! Jarre did such a good job at not just finding a quintessential Mid-East sound, but really getting great emotional and pyschological insight into the characters and situations. Definitely deserved the Oscar it won for Best Score.

Much better than that hack job of a score for Mutiny on the Bounty. Wouldn't you agree, Peter? :lol:

5 stars, without batting an eyelid. One of the best scores in cinema history, mind-blowing in its accuracy (when played against the movie) and its instant memorability, given its apparent simplicity.

I love the music in this score and as heard in the film, but I don't know if I actually have the best album representation. I still have a hodgepodge of tracks that I got when Napster was legal, and was just waiting to find an extended album for purchase somewhere.

The album that Pieter displays in the first post is an awesome listening experience and a very faithful presentation of the score. I've never felt like I need an improved version, much less one with more music to break up the delicate pace.

It used to leave me surprisingly cold, except for the catchy desert music (at least that's what I suppose it is, as it's copied for the desert scenes in Spaceballs). Last time I listened to it, I was pleasantly surprised, though not overwhelmed. But I still haven't listened to it enough to be sufficiently familiar for voting (in fact, I barely remember it).

Great score. I'm not the biggest Jarre fan, but this one of the few of his that I love. Of course, it's also the best movie he's ever worked one, with the biggest canvas for him to use.

5 stars. Just a few days ago I dusted this one off and listened to it for the first time in years. It really is sad that there hasn't been at least an expanded original. I have the original version, but sadly the tracks I always wanted are to be found only on the Silva version (which I also have). The difference between the two is startling, and reminds me of why (as a kid) I always steered clear of re-recordings.

Much better than that hack job of a score for Mutiny on the Bounty. Wouldn't you agree, Peter? :)
ABSOLUTELY NOT! GRR! You're playing with fire here! :)

Only kidding...

• 1 month later...

Rescuing Gasim from the desert/Bringing Gasim into camp is particularly superb.

The Beach at night. Beautiful.

The chirpy main titles (everyone on YouTube refers to the Overture as the main titles)

Night and Star (certainly evokes the simple purity of the desert)

Basically, all of it. :( .

It's also one of my favourite films.

"As I walk along the Bois Boolong

With an independent air

You can hear the girls declare

"He must be a Millionaire." ;)

• 11 years later...

I'm currently listening to the sumptuous Tadlow re-recording of this masterpiece, and yet...I find the score's (and film's) second half to be less evocative and engaging than it's first. *shrugs*

4 minutes ago, Kühni said:

I'm currently listening to the sumptuous Tadlow re-recording of this masterpiece, and yet...I find the score's (and film's) second half to be less evocative and engaging than it's first. *shrugs*

I agree completely, the score does lose some momentum after the capture of Aqaba. But that first half is absolute gold

The same as the film itself. Even Lean wasn't as satisfied with Part II of the film, and in the recutting its this part that suffered the grunt of the trimming.

Its a fine, fine score, but the main theme suffers from a touch of over-exposure. I'm thinking especially Bringing Gasim Into Camp which climaxes with a big crescendo of the theme...and then another one...and another one.... Lean getting a touch overindulgent with the editing of the sequence is obviously partially responsible for this. No other Lean film - not even Ryan's Daughter - is edited quite like this one.

I mean, it's a solid 4, but not top shelf for me. As others have said, the theme gets repeated too often, and it has this wishy-washy quality that occasionally grates (DR. ZHIVAGO is even worse in that regard). But there's other great music - love all the Arabic colours. And the film is a bonafide 5, of course.

I only have the 38-minute original soundtrack recording, and that's all I ever want to own untill the day I die.

Absolute and total masterpiece. Honestly, probably not the best listen on the album. But who cares, this is film music we are talking about and first and foremost it should highlight the picture. And my god does it ever do that?

The saving Kasim sequence - damn the music is life affirming. 

And a shout out to the main title - containing the less talked about British theme - what a great theme. The Arab theme is of course legendary but the British theme is equally fantastic. 

I love the Tadlow to death and I really like the film but strangely both times I've seen it so far, the score seemed less good or less effective with the picture to me. And no, it's not just the different performance and recording.

• 3 months later...

OK I just started the CD "The Hollywood Sound" by John Williams and the LSO, and track #1 is the Overture from Lawrence of Arabia and I'm really digging it!

So naturally I became curious what the best edition of the original recording to get would be and there's a bajillion editions on soundtrackcollector

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/1976/Lawrence+Of+Arabia

So I ask JWFan, which is the best CD version to get for the original recordings?  I'm not interested in a re-recording right now

And is this a score a specialty label might be doing a 50th anniversary edition of in 2022 or is there any weird rights or element issues with it or anything?

-J

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So I ask JWFan, which is the best CD version to get for the original recordings?  I'm not interested in a re-recording right now

The best solution is to change your interest. ;) I've never been a big fan of the score as a whole (though perhaps I should just spend some more time with it), but I've become a big fan of the overture years ago when I heard it live in concert and then got the Tadlow recording. I've always found it bland and unenergetic on the original album recording.

I have (well, had, to be precise) the Varese 1990 CD that lasts 38 minutes. That's my favourite. Although I'm not sure if it's an album re-recording or the original recording.

11 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The best solution is to change your interest. ;) I've never been a big fan of the score as a whole (though perhaps I should just spend some more time with it), but I've become a big fan of the overture years ago when I heard it live in concert and then got the Tadlow recording. I've always found it bland and unenergetic on the original album recording.

Yeah I'd say just get the Tadlow too, @Jay. Especially after seeing that OST tracklist and again checking out the sound quality and mixing of the original on youtube.

One's from 1962.

Just compare these:

The performances aren't bad or anything, the sound just isn't great. The only technical issue I'm aware of with the original is the Ondes Martenots were misbehaving and they couldn't mix them high enough, sometimes they aren't even audible.