The Empire Strikes Back: Complete Cue List

John Takis

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should rename my "John Williams Temple Of Doom cue names" thread into "Official Sheet music analysis and discussion thread" or something along those lines and have this conversation over there ;)

Well that thread has already become a discussion of all 3 Indy scores, and has been the place people are uploading mp3s of unreleased sections of sheet music.

I dunno, just a suggestion

I think we should rename my "John Williams Temple Of Doom cue names" thread into "Official Sheet music analysis and discussion thread" or something along those lines and have this conversation over there :)

Hmmmmmmmmm, no.

Neil

• 2 months later...

John,

Going off the Special Edition disc I would imagine cue 2M4 underscores The probe transmitting, Han & Chewie's encounter with the probe droid up to the first scene of the Imperial Fleet.

In the film the begining of that cue is used to underscore the probe droid launching from the star destroyer. Was it tracked into the scene or was it originally composed for the begining and randomly added to the cue on the album. Or is the album sequenced correctly?

The album is not sequenced correctly

The track on the SE contains 1m2 New Start, followed by 1m2 Insert Bar 80, followed by 2m4

In other words, the music that you called "the beginning of that cue" is 1m2 New Start, *NOT* 2m4, which doesn't begin in the track until after 1m2 Insert bar 80 finishes.

Going off the Special Edition disc I would imagine cue 2M4 underscores The probe transmitting, Han & Chewie's encounter with the probe droid up to the first scene of the Imperial Fleet.

Sorry to speak for you, John, but that cue was indeed supposed to be for those scenes.

In the film the begining of that cue is used to underscore the probe droid launching from the star destroyer. Was it tracked into the scene or was it originally composed for the begining and randomly added to the cue on the album. Or is the album sequenced correctly?

I don't believe it's used when the probe launches. What you're hearing is the "new start" to 1M2, which was written for that scene, as was the original 1M2, which is what you hear immediately after the main titles on the RCA.

Nicely done John.

By the way speaking of "Imperial Probe" has anyone ever edited it together on how it's supposed to be? Well I mean the film version piece where it's supposed to go?

Edit: Man oh man, "Vadar"? LOL That's too hilarious.

I did so back in 1997 on audio cassette!

And again a few years later on the computer.

That's an easy one

People on the board have un-Risner'd the Risner mixes (opened the stereo channel, etc). Its not perfect but it helps

Hmmm...I'd be interested in the details of how one would do that. Simple EQing, or is it more involved? Something Audacity can handle?

I'd like to know myself

I never had a problem with the SE mix. I know some people went nuts over it, like that jurassic park guy.

The sound QUALITY is fine, but half the tracks are mixed one way, and half another.

Look at this chart and do some comparisons with headphones on and you'll immediately realize it.

http://www.freewebs.com/cerrabore/esbcues.pdf

Hmmm...I'd be interested in the details of how one would do that. Simple EQing, or is it more involved? Something Audacity can handle?

I'd like to know myself

I never had a problem with the SE mix. I know some people went nuts over it, like that jurassic park guy.

The sound QUALITY is fine, but half the tracks are mixed one way, and half another.

Look at this chart and do some comparisons with headphones on and you'll immediately realize it.

http://www.freewebs.com/cerrabore/esbcues.pdf

To be honest, I'm not sure I really want to realize it. I don't have the knowhow or the inclination to fix it, so I'd rather not have my favourite CD ruined as a listening experience for me.

I'd like to know myself

You can't fix it with home audio equipment. There are various techniques you can use to improve the sound (reduce treble, widen stereo spread, etc.), but there's no way to actually remix the music. I find it much easier to just use the original Tomlinson mixes from the Anthology. There are a few spots in the score, however, for which only the Risner mixes are available. That's when you get to work EQing. Here are some figures I jotted down a couple years ago when I was working on this:

2400Hz -3 db

6000Hz -6 db

15kHz -9 db

volume -1.5 db

Default reverb

Mastering Width

"Mastering Width" is a preset in Cool Edit Pro that expands the stereo field by some degree (which I don't remember anymore). I'm not sure what I meant by "Default reverb." Probably no reverb. There's no reason you should have to use any. I also can't promise the volume figure is correct, as these are notes specifically for "Main Title/The Ice Planet Hoth" and no other track.

He tended to refer to Indiana Jones as "Indie" rather than "Indy," too.

Yep. Also, he has a sly humor when giving titles to some cues (one of my fave is from The Phantom Menace: "Gone Fishin'")

Yeah, it kinda bugs me with Giacchino sometimes, but heck, the music is so fun that I don't mind. With original cue names, it doesn't matter - the public (normally) doesn't see those.

Nothing's better than Once In A Vial from TOD

Ben Creeps Around

The Great Dual

Searching for the Script (I had a lot of fun with that one)

I've always been rather fond of 'Gone Fishin' from The Phantom Menace (and there's always 'Ben and Luke on a Log').

• 3 years later...