The one cue blows you away each time.

Kevin

It is indeed. Nice to hear Grievous' theme developed a bit, and the choral section is unexpectedly enjoyable. It's a pity Williams didn't do much more with his theme in the film...it's so perfect for the character, and a real delight to listen to on its own.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wreckage and Rape" (the first part at least)- Alien3

:(

The second part is just as good. Took me a while to warm up to it, but it really is quite something.

The opening part of that track has got to be the most bombastic apocalyptic thing I have heard written for film. Although the track before that, Candles in the Wind, also has one of the most massive vicious music sections at its conclusion as well. I think they overdubbed an extra horn doing that ascending arpeggio just so people could hear it over the other brass.

"Waxing Elizabeth" from Young Sherlock Holmes. Just listened to my newly purchased LP last night and was once again blown away by it (to say nothing of the spectacular dynamics of the recording).

I was listening to this vastly overrated score today .Yes this cue is the only one I put aside so far to include in a random cue compilation
Vastly overrated? I think I must brush up my English skills... apparently they're lacking... :thumbup:

I was listening to this vastly overrated score today .Yes this cue is the only one I put aside so far to include in a random cue compilation
Vastly overrated? I think I must brush up my English skills... apparently they're lacking... :thumbup:

Yeah I thought that. I think it's a great score! :)

There are definitely different standards for different people around here.

I think that's probably true. For example, I tend to respond with considerably more patience to a gratuitously inflammatory or confrontational post when it's written by a long-time member than when it is written by a relative newcomer. It's not something that's conscious, but it's a tendency about which I know I should be aware when I'm rendering judgment.

In response to the topic at hand, I would proffer "The Leaving / The Search" from Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian.

Vastly overrated? I think I must brush up my English skills... apparently they're lacking... :P

No, it's just KM. You see he also thinks the Back to the Future main theme is a cheap Williams knock off. So there you go. ;)

In response to the topic at hand, I would proffer "The Leaving / The Search" from Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian.

That reminds me, Riders of Doom starting at 3:32.

Wow.

I forgot to mention "Journey to the Island." Nine minutes of brilliance. Rather unusually, I find myself more and more able to ignore my little issues with it as time goes on. Fantastic underscoring, great statements of two main themes, and the introduction of two or three minor motifs that most of the public is not aware of, sadly.

Just came across another one: 'Fire and Arms', from Michael Collins. Also, 'The Ecstacy of Gold', but the one with Yo-Yo Ma. The original is great, but this other take on it I find to be absolutely amazing. 'Dawn Raid On Fort Knox', too.

I am going to agree with "Icarus"

Does nothing for me.

but I want to add "Neodammerung" from Matrix Revolutions!

I prefer Ontological Shock and Mona Lisa Overdrive. :P

I'll go with ya on Mona Lisa Overdrive.....especially when I am flying down the freeway!

How could I forget "Wrong Choice, Right Choice"? What a fabulous development of the Grail Theme. Every second of the cue is gold.

I only hear two statements of the theme in the entire cue...and it's only an eight-measure theme. EDIT: Although I'm not at all trying to put down the cue - I really like it, and I was thrilled when I discovered it was on the Concord release.

Also, 'The Ecstacy of Gold', but the one with Yo-Yo Ma. The original is great, but this other take on it I find to be absolutely amazing.

I took a listen to the sample on iTunes. Not bad, but it seems a little slow-paced. Does it pick up further in?

How could I forget "Wrong Choice, Right Choice"? What a fabulous development of the Grail Theme. Every second of the cue is gold.

I only hear two statements of the theme in the entire cue...and it's only an eight-measure theme.

I was having a bit of fun with your post. Though I do get chills every time I listen to the Grail Theme in that Track.

Also, 'The Ecstacy of Gold', but the one with Yo-Yo Ma. The original is great, but this other take on it I find to be absolutely amazing.

I took a listen to the sample on iTunes. Not bad, but it seems a little slow-paced. Does it pick up further in?

You should hear Metallica's version

I was having a bit of fun with your post. Though I do get chills every time I listen to the Grail Theme in that Track.

I know, I know. :P Actually, come to think of it, it's a pity that the Grail theme never got the kind of expanded treatment the Ark theme received in "The Map Room: Dawn" and "The Miracle of the Ark." Although I like the Ark theme better, the Grail theme is still great, and it would have been nice to hear more development.

As you may have noticed, Joe, I prefer "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", and the Grail Theme is one of the reasons why. It is similar to the Force Theme in all of the emotions it can convey.

I'll forgive you for this error in judgment because the Grail theme is truly a great reason to commit it. ;) It's certainly nothing...unusual, I mean, it's a fairly standard chorale...but it is SO effective nonetheless, and a great contribution to the Indy musical canon.

You should hear Metallica's version

I tried to listen to the sample, couldn't make it the whole 30 seconds ;)

As you may have noticed, Joe, I prefer "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", and the Grail Theme is one of the reasons why. It is similar to the Force Theme in all of the emotions it can convey.

I'll forgive you for this error in judgment because the Grail theme is truly a great reason to commit it. ;) It's certainly nothing...unusual, I mean, it's a fairly standard chorale...but it is SO effective nonetheless, and a great contribution to the Indy musical canon.

I think you misread my post or something....

I think you misread my post or something....

I don't think so...you were saying that the Grail theme is one of the reasons you like TLC best, right? I was just saying that while I think it's an error to prefer TLC - ;) - I can at least appreciate an honorable reason like the Grail theme, which I also like. ;)

How could I forget "The Map Room: Dawn"? What a fabulous development of the Ark theme. Every second of the cue is gold.

The Map Room is one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

I thought the word was "ineptitude".... And I do not not lack an ineptitude for not-so-great tastes, if that answers your question.

That's a word, too, and they're close enough in meanings. But I meant "inaptitude." =)

It most certainly does. Just as dizzying and amazing as the original. Highly recommended.

Carbon Freeze is the one that always works in the same way for me. Just perfect. From that sequence up until the end of the score actually, is an amazing ballet.

I listened to "The Enterprise" oncemore, I love it. But I don't think anyone can get anymore schmaltzy and cliche than Jerry in that cue.

I love it though, but you almost can picture Kirk and Spock dancing across the Ice..

Last night I listened to "The Trees" from Medicine Man, such a lovely piece. Maybe blown away is too strong for that cue but it draws me in.

Me too. Though I have wondered at times why John Barry didn't write it first. Orchestration is pure Goldsmith...but it's definitely got that Barry sweep.