Don't you just love it when...

Taikomochi

The Composer finishes off the score with a big musical flourish? That nice warm happy note.

AI had one. I want to Believe had one. I'm at a loss for examples, but you know what I mean.

I just love it when I hear that. It just leaves me with a happiness about a movie, as long as it is used appropriately.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sums up why I love JW's scores - he's pretty much king at the big musical flourishes.

The one close to the beginning of "Scammed by a Kindergartner" from Home Alone comes to mind.

The finish of The End Title section of "End Title, End Cast" from from Jaws 2 has always left me with a warm feeling. I still can't believe that JW composed that piece exclusively for Jaws 2; it's too good, it sounds like it should stand on its own.

I prefer the ending to CoS.

Understandable - it's a fun ending, certainly, especially if one ignores what's going on in the film. :lol: I just happen to prefer the original SS ending...it's one of those "less is more" things for me. Ties into the overscoring thread, actually, as the CoS ending just strikes me as too over-the-top.

Sure, I like these finales, but sometimes I want something a little different. Sentimentality isn't the only way to end a score. Just to contribute to the conversation, though...

The Terminal

A Little Princess (well, the climax, not the denouement)

Return of the King

But there are so many!

E.T., Jurassic Park, A.I, Minority Report (Sean's Theme on piano--WOW!), Harry Potter 1+2 (I also prefer the ending of CoS), Memoirs of a Geisha, Seven Years in Tibet...

The closing moments of E.T. is Williams showboating.

No, its John stripping away God immortality for just a few moments and allowing him to weep like a man.

I can think of two that always leave me in amazement and awe:

The Trumpet fanfare at the end of "Love Theme From Superman"

and basically the entire final minute of "The Forest Battle" which someone at Lucasfilm thought was so good they used it in the "Attack Of The Clones" final Theatrical Trailer. Say what you will about the movie - but that trailer was brilliantly assembled.

Not to my knowledge...and there are a lot of sources, online and otherwise, that cite "Jesus wept" as the shortest...but I can't make any guarantees, naturally. I have read all of Numbers, but I wasn't looking for that.

I agree on both counts. :)

Also, great catch, jasonblueeyes. That's one of the rare cases when I think a John Williams concert version FAR outstrips its original film version. Such an amazing ending, and I really did love it in that trailer. In fact, I don't think I'd even heard it until that trailer! I was very pleased to realize it was on the 2-disc Special Edition soundtrack.

No, its John stripping away God immortality for just a few moments and allowing him to weep like a man.

Who says God can't weep like a man? Shortest verse in the Bible - "Jesus wept."

Who says God is a man?

No finer words has ever been created.

jkrowling.jpg

jkrowling.jpg

*cue menacing Reman motif from Star Trek: Nemesis*

jkrowling.jpg

*cue menacing Reman motif from Star Trek: Nemesis*

What does JK Rowling have to do with the ending of E.T.? ROTFLMAO