The Highest Volume Music Store in the U.S. is Closing

Lurker

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I view it as more a nail in brick n mortar music sales coffin, not CDs in general. CDs will be around for a long time

It must be nearly 10 years now that Vienna's Virgin Megastore closed. They were expensive, and I never bought CDs there I could find elsewhere, but at least they had a good selection compared to the other mainstream stores. Ever since they closed, buying CDs locally has been much less fun.

We have two Virgin Mega stores in the Dallas area. They are a bit pricey but they used to stock import soundtracks and you could find some older gems in there.

I don't mind paying a few extra bucks when I find something worthwhile.

But the article does seem more about rental possibilities as opposed to CD sales. But Neil is correct, if these places keep closing or reducing their stock it will eventually have an effect on the CD.

Wow.

I am not surprised by this at all, but I have many a fond memory walking around that store and the one in Reading, England and also in Downtown Disney in Orlando. Many, many, many a great find there.

Yes, a little more pricey than others but considering I was able to find ToD for $15 as well as many James Horner scores.

I should make one final stop one day.

CDs will exist as long as there are people buying them, and people are still buying them -- just nowhere near as many as there once were.

Eventually, the recording companies will pull their heads out of their asses and figure out that people who still buy CDs like to be catered to, and they'll figure out how to put attractive, affordable sets on sale.

Either that, or CDs are heading the way of the laserdisc.

I certainly hope the CD isn't going anywhere - unless reasonably-priced lossless downloads suddenly become a widespread and viable option, or another physical format comes in to replace the CD.

We have two Virgin Mega stores in the Dallas area.

Is one of them opposite like a cinema with an Irish bar next to it?

One is in a huge outlet mall and I can't remember what's around the other one, but it's surrounded by several restaurants and there might be a theatre.